Thread: ES Vol. IV|Iss. VII: Roma Surrectum, Modding Awards and AAR

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

Default ES Vol. IV|Iss. VII: Roma Surrectum, Modding Awards and AAR

The Eagle Standard

Some of you might be wondering why is this lunatic posting here instead of Bulgaroctonus and what has he done to that loveable rascal? As it stands I've locked him in my AAR cage and now I'm the Editor of the Eagle Standard mwahahahahaha!

Sadly thats lie, as much as I would like to lock Bulgaroctonus in a cage, I just couldnt do it, so giga locked him up for me.

As much as I'd wish that were true its not either
    As things stands Giga and Bulgar got into a fight about the lack of support shown to the ES and the alarmingly small number of actual active writers we have and so Bulgar's been fired. I was chosen to replace him since I'm the next most active member.

So read up and comment away or I'll be joining Bulgar on the gallows...

Now without further ado let us continue on...

To honour my reign as Editor I shall try my hand at something else, thats right! To commerate my fist day on the job I've broke away from the sterotype as the AAR man and now I'm the Interview guy! For the first time I am getting sociable with the man behind the Rome Arises mod, dvk901.

Could you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm a 56 year old Computer Technician, whose favourite hobbies have always had something to do with history, antiques, old architecture, etc. In another 'life' I would've loved to be an Archaeologist.

What inspired you to set about making this mod?

What 'set me off ' to make this mod initially was someone asking in the forums if it was possible to put all of Rome's Legions in the game, and have them with individual skins and banners. Most people felt it was unlikely, given the restrictions of DMB.txt. I took it as a challenge...but just a personal one at first, and created a mod for my own use that eventually included 35 Roman Legions by name, and having their own individual banners. It wasn't until I asked one day in the forums if such a mod would be of interest to others that I thought about sharing it, and things just expanded from there.

What backdrop is your mod set?

The time period, I'm assuming you mean, is pretty much the standard era for RTW...280BC. I personally like this era because it was the dawn of the Roman rise to power. Thus, 'Behold, Rome Arises!' for the name. Probably the most sophisticated and advancing period in human history before the 18th century.

Have you included unique features in your mod, if so what are they?

Well, of course I think the Legions are unique, because each has its own individual skin, name and banner that it carries. And we've done quite a few cool things to make the Roman player a happy player. But we're working on a number of other innovations. For example, rather than have 'Generals' who are Governors, we have a unit for all factions that has a small bodyguard, and is a 'Governor'. Our guy who is working on traits believes he's found a way to differentiate between the two, so there may be a trait system for these governors that's separate from Generals. We hope so. Another unique feature of the mod is the treatment given the so-called 'rebels'. In Roma Surrectum, there are two factions that serve to act as the 'Free People', indistinguishable on the strat map, who act in tandem with and against each other to wreak mayhem and cause trouble. Our take on this is that the free people of this day and age were fiercely independent, well armed in many cases, and willing to fight like heck to protect themselves. Many small Kingdoms and Tribes lasted hundreds of years during this era before the Empire finally overwhelmed them or inherited them (Cimmerian Bosporan, Pergamum, Bythinia, Rhodes, Cappadocia, etc,)...so we're trying hard to make the Free People in RS a real challenge to face, not just a nuisance you push out of the way. Both factions recruit units, and they are unique to the cultural area where they're recruited.

In your opinion what would you say was the best feature in your mod?

Aside from the Legions (but that's just me), I would say the thing that will make this mod very unique, once it's fine tuned and working great, is the treatment and emphasis given to the Free People. Having this massive 'faction' able to defend and fight for itself makes it seem like RS has a hundred factions. Given a good number of turns, you may waltz into a region thinking you'll take a city with no problem...then get ambushed by 2, 3, 4 Free People armies just waiting for you to show up!

Do you have a favourite faction inside your own mod and why?

I know my team members would say hands down...I love Rome and everything about it. It's true. But aside from them, my favourites are Syracuse and Pergamum. I guess because they start with just 2 (Syracuse) and 1 (Pergamum) regions...real underdogs, and people have said they are real fun to play.

Since we’re on this topic of game play, what sort of player are you? Personally I’m the aggressive sort always looking for another fight and more lands to conquer.

I'm the kind of player who likes SPQR type battles and challenges, but TE type expansion and strategic planning. I tend to expand slow, methodical and tactically.

Could you try and sum up your mod with 10 or less words?

A fun\historical mix mod that plays like SPQR.

Have you a catchphrase to match?

"Ecce, Roma Surrectum ... Behold, Rome Arises."

Got any words of encouragement to potential fans?

Well, yeah. Be patient with us. We have a very small team, but we have four guys who are working on maps, units, traits and sounds\music who are VERY talented, full of new ideas, and determined to make them work! I'm looking for some things never done in a mod before.

What’s your favourite Total War game?

RTW, without question.

Do you have a favourite mod other than your own?

SPQR and BareBones.

So outside of the Total War Franchise, what’s your favourite game of all time?

Probably RedAlert 2. Played it constantly until I got into RTW...haven't touched it since.

Now is there anything you’d like to show off and tease us with?

The 'Music and Sounds Package' being worked on for Roma Surrectum is going to be astounding! The guy has me scratching my head wondering how he
    does what he does.

And now time for something completely different,
    the Eye Candy

Thank you dvk901 for taking the time to have a jolly banter with me and good luck with your mod, Ecce! Roma Surrectum!

Now you may gaze upon the illustrious winners of the Total War Center's Modding Awards!

Yes bask in their glory

Best M2TW Mod

Lands to Conquer

Mentor Award

Lusted

Best RTW Post-Roman Era Mod Award

Chivalry: Total War

Most Promising MTW2 Mod Award

Medieval: Wrath of the Norsemen

Outstanding Achievement Award

Europa Barbarorum

Best RTW Strategic Map Experience

Europa Barbarorum

Best RTW/BI Fantasy Mod

The Fourth Age: Total War

Best RTW Units Art Award

Europa Barbarorum

Best RTW Coder.

DaVinci. MasterOfNone.

Best BI Era Mod Award

Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei. Arthurian: Total War.

Best M2TW Modder

Lusted

Best RTW Battle Map Experience

The Fourth Age: Total War - Forth Eorlingas

Best RTW Unit Model Artist Award

Caius Britannicus

Best RTW Unit Texture Artist Award

Caius Britannicus

Best RTW Mod

Europa Barbarorum

Best RTW Pre-Roman Era Mod Award

Rise of Persia

Best RTW Era Mod

Europa Barbarorum

Best Original Audio Award

Europa Barbarorum

Most Promising RTW Mod Award

RTR 7

Best Script Writer

Epistolary Richard

Most Helpful/Responsive Modding Team

The Fourth Age: Total War - development team

Best RTW Modder

DARTH VADER

Best RTW 2D Art Award

Europa Barbarorum

Creative Mapping Award

Tittils (at The Fourth Age: Total War)

Best Tools Award

Vercingetorix

Scholars Award

Professor420

And now ladies and gentlemen for the first time the Eagle Standard is proud to present Ippius and his AAR, 'The Bear-Russian'.

Presents

The Bear-Russian AAR

Consider your origins: you were not made that you might live as brutes, but so as to follow virtue and knowledge.” (Dante in The Divine Comedy)

The icy wind ravaged across the barren plains. Trees stood steadfast, shivering in the icy winds, enduring what normal men could not, surviving where normal men could not. There was white, everywhere, white ground, white sky; white was the colour of death. Yet in this desolation, in this vicious void where even God had abandoned, a fledgling civilisation survives. It has survived nomadic raids, Byzantine assaults and dreaded plagues, just like the hardy trees that inhabit this icy hell and is preparing to awaken the slumbering Bear within themselves. And thus this is where our story commences.

It is 1086. Grand Duke Ysevold has started to establish a foothold in the cold barren lands where once nomadic tribesmen roamed the icy plains. He was an energetic, ambitious man, already the Rurikid of Moscow and willing to lead his men straight into battle. He was the type of leader, the Bear needed despite his age. Under him, Moscow and several other states had been snatched away from the Rus Rebels and the rightful words of the holy Orthodox Church had been spread across the small state.

Success at Moscow

But Ysevold knew his empire was surviving on borrowed time. Sooner or later the greedy Poles and ruthless Magyar with their decadent Christian beliefs that betrayed the real church would swallow up the neighbouring independent regions. Russian watchtowers, diplomats and merchants did not stop these people from entering Russian soil. So in 1085, the Bear left the cave it had slumbered in at set forth to wipe out the remaining remnants of Independent states. It was destiny that the whole Eastern Europe would fall into Ysevold’s hands.

Captain Bolda was a ruthless leader. Although he was technically not a general, his control over the large town of Belo Ozero was unimaginable. Furthermore there had been no reason for him to think of being under attack. The Turks were too busy with the Egyptians and nomadic rebels, the Byzantines were dying, not because of their frailty as an empire, but because of their obsolescence and the Russians…well they were to small and weak, too consumed in surviving the bitter winter than attacking other people. It came of no surprise that an army of 1000 or so Russians lead by an aspiring, general, waving the blue and red banner worried him greatly. “What? Have they come to search for a new home? Wasn’t their other one in Novgorod more cosy?” the captain muttered to himself. The assault on Belo Ozero would begin.

A shout rang out, “Men, FIRE!” The Kazaks rushed towards the rebel infantry hoping to divert their attention from the reforming Russian lines. They fired a hail of arrows at the enemy who poured out of the gate, retreating before they got too close.

The Kazaks divert Bolda’s attention to the Russian lines

Ysevold expected that a sally could have started at any moment yet was completely stunned by the sudden war cries of the Cuman horse archers, galloping straight towards his army led by the infamous Bolda. “Hold the LINE!” The Russian woodsmen, though hardy and brave did not stand a chance against the lightning fast blows suffered from the constant hail of arrows. It would not be long before they took heed and fled. “I have come this far! Surrender or fall before my mighty steed!” They did not.

Ysevold, ploughs through Bolda’s Cuman Archers. There are no survivors

With Bolda crushed by Russian might and strength, Ysevold brandished his blood-stricken sword and charged head first at the enemy lines. Dmitri and Volkmar did not make it, speared by the Rus rebel spears. The Duke however survived with a few wounds, slashing at the enemy as if they were a pack of wild animals. In several seconds the beasts were fleeing, horrified by the grievous losses they had sustained.

The Bear takes its prey, killing them swiftly and effectively

The battle was not over yet. Bolda’s forces, though without a leader still had several squads of spearman within the walls and remnants of the Cuman archers were still firing away at the Kazaks, in what was becoming a stalemate. Fearing that the Kazaks would flee, Ysevold sent forth his woodsmen and spearman into the city to fight in gruelling and bloody melee. His men fought hand in hand with the Rus rebels, slicing and butchering the cowards as they made their way towards the centre.

In desperation the Cuman archers attack they woodsmen in combat, sealing their fate

In a matter of moments, the battle was over. 300 of pure Russian blood stained the white battlefield. All of the Rus rebels were either captured or dead, though the captured realised soon that it was better to lie strewn on the battlefield than under Ysevold’s command. Ysevold himself was relieved with the success he had against the rebels, yet was silently worried about the future with Poland and the Magyar. It seemed that no matter how important this battle was, the worst was to come.

“So long as I have lived I have striven to live worthily. I desire to leave the me who come after me a remembrance in good works.” (Alfred the Great)

Last edited by Hex Khan; April 01, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: ES Vol. IV|Iss. VII: Roma Surrectum, Modding Awards and AAR

awesome job this week hex and ippius!

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus

Jesus Christ. Why did I have to take that break? I could have been editor lol. This seems like a great ES issue. Like a VERY GOOD ONE. JA RLY

Skyler's Avatar Soul Searching Sun Gun
    Netherlands, universal centre of sexy coalas in hotpants

I have read this issue of ES and I hope that you will be saved from the merciless pitt.

Good Interview and AAR, guys.

A SINnish member
    Under the patronage of Eclipse SG
    Cows bark, dolphins lie, it is all the same down here

I have read the ES....this is a good issue....Hex Khan is the greatest editor ever...all praise the ES...

(Damn that gun against my back is starting to be uncomfortable now)

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I have read the ES....this is a good issue....Hex Khan is the greatest editor ever...all praise the ES...

thanks

I know the feeling I have a noose around my throat perikles and i have to say it feels rather good

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    Jesus Christ. Why did I have to take that break? I could have been editor lol. This seems like a great ES issue. Like a VERY GOOD ONE. JA RLY
    lol up fate has a way of screwing us over doesnt it? you could be doing this instead of me

Now if you dont mind my ES Work-Monkey's are inneed of a whipping they're always slacking off....

All in a day's work of an Editor

Libertus

It could be that the Eagle Standard has finally found its voice! Let there arise a new era of quality.
    Not to say the old ones weren't enjoyed greatly.

Libertus

It could be that the Eagle Standard has finally found its voice! Let there arise a new era of quality.
    Not to say the old ones weren't enjoyed greatly.

This was an april fool's, right? Giga doesn't have fights with anyone who lives to tell about them.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420 View Post
    This was an april fool's, right? Giga doesn't have fights with anyone who lives to tell about them.
    You're a sharp one.

Hex Khan! Heel boy, heel! The nerve of this guy. I go off to the beach for the weekend and I have a mutiny on my hands! I think purges are in order

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroctonus View Post
    You're a sharp one.

Hex Khan! Heel boy, heel! The nerve of this guy. I go off to the beach for the weekend and I have a mutiny on my hands! I think purges are in order

It was inevitable I'd usurp at some point Bulgar it was the ideal time mwahahahaha!

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

uh oh, i feel a cleansing of the ES coming on, *ducks*, anyhow, good work this week with the boss out of town. We had a kegger, but the cops showed up and Hex had to scare them off with tales of bloody crusades and epic battles fought for the Thrones of Medieval Europe. Eventually they tucked tail and ran, leaving the ES staff to party long into the night, and have to get up early the next morning to post the next edition. This is why it was a little messed up at the beginning, Hex had a rugged hangover, and I was passed out on the stairs.

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus

you for got to mention the extensive armoury i flaunted on their arrival, would you want to arrest a guy in full plate armour armed with maces, axes, spears, swords, warhammers and daggers...

nah didnt thinks so

Laetus

totally off subject, but didnt you used to mod operation flashpoint some time ago?

Quote Originally Posted by endlessnameless View Post
    totally off subject, but didnt you used to mod operation flashpoint some time ago?
    Who is that question aimed at? if me, nope havent even played flashpoint

yep