Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Province Limit?

Default Province Limit?

Could someone please tell me the region limit for the campaign map? I need to know before i hit the region limit. Also how many regions does the map
    have to start?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Province Limit?

Maximum is 199 + 1 sea

However, If you have separate seas then I think that you may be advised to have separate colours. I understand someone was looking at that and it seemed it did have an effect on AI movement.

Note For each extra sea colour it means one less region.

can someone tell me what this means:

08:14:26.671 [script.err] [error] Script Error in landstoconquer/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1014, column 1
    Couldn't find region name 'Attalia_Province' in stringtable
    08:14:34.796 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Basically there is a text file in the directory Data/Text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

This creates imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin

in the same directory.

The message is saying there is a mismatch (ie mistyped or missing) between the name used in

/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt

And the one from the above mentioned .txt/.bin files.

cool thanks. but could someone tell me how many regions the vanilla map has? How come it seems like RTW had a larger province limit?

Double post, sorry

I believe the vanilla map has about 113 regions. It may seem like more in RTw because in M2TW, the new world takes 4 regions, and the regions aren't as spaced out. If you look at some of the mods for M2TW, you'll find that 199 regions is a lot, especially when spaced out. Hope this helps!

After i get done with these provinces i might think about releasing the map...

EDIT: Since I got this thread no sense in posting another one for a different question.... What is the safest way to remove the Aztecs from the campaign and the America regions?
    Last edited by Saturn; April 02, 2007 at 11:19 AM.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Goatbuster3000 View Post
    I believe the vanilla map has about 113 regions. It may seem like more in RTw because in M2TW, the new world takes 4 regions, and the regions aren't as spaced out. If you look at some of the mods for M2TW, you'll find that 199 regions is a lot, especially when spaced out. Hope this helps!
    I believe that Vanilla starts with 112 - there are 6 regions in the New World
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    After i get done with these provinces i might think about releasing the map...

EDIT: Since I got this thread no sense in posting another one for a different question.... What is the safest way to remove the Aztecs from the campaign and the America regions?
    I think what you need to do is remove aztecs from descr_strat, and move their armies and provinces to the rebel section
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Safest, simplest way is to edit descr_strat file and change their entry to only

faction aztecs, balanced smith
    ai_label default
    dead_until_resurrected
    denari 50000
    denari_kings_purse 10000

Its the dead until resurrected bit you need.

You still leave them in the non playable faction bit.

Move all their towns into the rebels bit of this file - you don't need to garrison them but if you do then copy one of the existing rebel sub-faction aztec entries around.

If you decide to remove them completely then remove the created by aztecs and sub-faction aztec entries as well and also remove this in the regions.txt file.

One more question. I want to add a settlement to the Island of Chios. Ive changed the ground types file so I could, but in the map_regions.tga the island has only two squares. The problem is, is that I need three squares to have a port and a settlement while still being able to assign it a color. My question is if i make the island bigger, how do I know when to add another square to map_regions.tga?

sorry double post. please refer to the above post.

I enlarge the map_regions file to the same size as map_ground_types and map_heights. I make the necessary adjustments to increase the size of the island, then I resize the map_regions back down to it's appropriate size using nearest neighbor. Then, it should be large enough for you to fit both your settlement and port on it. I'd enlarge the island about 1 pixel from its current borders, at least. I hope this is what you're asking and I hope it helps!

I've also been wondering about maximum region numbers, as I'm now only 3 regions away from having them all in and I get unspecified errors. Could this be because I have two seas which are the same colour?

Ilsamir - when you hit the limit its an instant CTD if I recall right.
    The unspecified errors might be because of a number of reasons. Mistype entry in the mercenaries or I think you can get it if the Win conditions are already met.
    You can make all the seas the same colour but it might have an effect on some naval AI movements. It shouldn't cause a crash.

It might be you've added a colour that's too close in colour combinations to something else.

Saturn
    Essentially only one pixel on map heights determines whether the pixel on regions is land or sea. I think its every second one so if you start from a 0,0 bottom left then 1,1 determines the bottom left pixel in map_heights. Once you get used to this it becomes simpler for amending heights etc or to avoid diagonal movements (if you don't wan them) through impassible terrain.

Goatbuster3000 - I never did the count before but does the 113 exclude all the sea colours?

Cheers, I'll look into it

Ive been having trouble with this one for about an hour now:

13:24:15.875 [script.err] [error] Script Error in landstoconquer/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1643, column 12
    You have chosen an invalid tile(0, 0) for the settlement of Chios.
    It will mean not being able to reach this settlement and is a bug.
    For now we'll ignore it.

Ilsamir Lord and I have both had that invalid tile (0,0) before. I' m not sure what fixed it, because a position of 0,0 would result in the settlement not even on the map. I'd check your regions and ground_types and make sure you have not placed the settlement on a mountain or something.

i got that settlement to work when i moved it down a tile but now i cant see my port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast