Thread: Modest Mouse--We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Default Modest Mouse--We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

First of all, thanks to Lusted, because I borrow some of his format in my review. It's a bit long, so skip the song reviews if you wish, the overview does a good job I think. Share your thoughts on the album and on the review, it's my first!

Modest Mouse--We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Songlist:
    March Into the Sea
    Dashboard
    Fire It Up
    Florida
    Parting of the Sensory
    Missed the Boat
    We've Got Everything
    Fly Trapped In a Jar
    Education
    Little Motel
    Steam Engenius
    Spitting Venom
    People As Places As People
    Invisible

Overview
    Well let me start off by saying that I've beena huge Modest Mouse fan since they released The Moon & Antarctica. They added a new member to the band, and everyone expected them to take this album in a different direction. Well, they did, sort of. Some of the tracks have a very Modest Mouse feel to them, and causual listeners of 'Float On' would recognize the songs as being Modest Mouse. But others are a bit faster, a bit harsher....I guess they sort of remind me of A Lonesome Crowded West, but even then these songs are more rock. What I enjoyed about the album is all the background singing-- people's voices fading in and out as the instruments play. This has its darker parts, with some songs being downers if you pay attention to the lyrics. But many others are so upbeat sounding you can't help tapping your foot and moving a little. Over all, I'd give this album a 4.5/5, better than Good News For People Who Love Good News but far from This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About. If you're a casual fan I think you will like this album, if you are a seasoned MM fan, you will also like this album, give it a few listens before coming to your final judgement.

Now to the songs!

March Into The Sea
    A strong start to the album. The track opens with an accordian (maybe, I'm terrible at these things ), sounding harsh, and most of the track is too. The track in pretty angry sounding, yet they somehow make it melodious.

Dashboard
    The single, I'm sure most people have heard it. It's far from my favorite track on there but it's certainly catchy. Nonsensical as well, but it's a great song to listen to in the car... "the dashboard melted but we still have the radio..."

Fire It Up
    This song is a bit repetitive to me, with the call of "Fire it up!" in parts, but the fading vocals here make the song worth listening to.

Florida
    The song starts off fast and keeps going. Best part is the chorus, the worst part is following the chorus. When "Floridaaa" is sung, you'll like this song. Some great guitar sounds here as well.

Parting of the Sensory
    This song is reminiscent of earlier MM work, starting off slow with Issac Brock's characteristic singing. This song is sort of a downer, singing off lost causes and bad times. Still a good song. I hear some violin (I think, yet again ) in the background, and it adds nicely to the atmosphere.

Missed the Boat
    This has a very unique opening, first with rattles of some sort, then going into some nice guitar. This song, especially when the singing stops, reminds me of Long Drive. Includes some of that great vocal work as well. Hands down, this is my favorite song on the album.

We've Got EVerything
    Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they took this off the album. It's just too harsh and loud. The song almost saves itselft halfway through, but still too loud and not as melodic as I'd like. Also pretty repetitive.

Fly Trapped in a Jar
    The opening of the song starts off with an annoying fly noise, and is pretty repetitive with the calls of, "it's not even enough." This song was again too harsh and odd for me to really like.

Education
    This song sounds like the previous, but for some reason I like it much more. Perhaps it's the vocal layering agian. It's a decent to good track.

Little Motel
    Another song that sounds like their earlier music. Love it. This song is slower than the last few, and it's a good change. Plenty of guitar here, like from Long Drive. Also, it can be a bit of a downer, but the next song clears that feeling up.

Steam Engenius
    Back to the new sounds of Modest Mouse. It's pretty darn good, the best part of the song is the "Woo-hoo woo-hoo" going in the background at times. This song is good for getting you pumped, I always listen to it before runs now. It slows down in the middle then picks back up. Good song.

Spitting Venom
    Parts of this song sound like the MM of old, and it one of the songs that I could listen to all day. This long, clocking in at 8:29. The beginning is slow, then the new Modest Mouse sounds come in in the middle, and the rest of the song is a great combination of both sounds. Once again, the vocals supplementing the stellar instrument sounds makes this song another great one. My second favorite track.

People As Places As People
    Another good song, with the new Modest Mouse sounds in it. Once again the vocals and guitars mix amazingly well. Love it.

Invisible
    I think song would have been a better fit at the start of the album., with it's highlighting of MM's new sounds and the amazing intro. As it stands, it's a bit weak finish for a great album like this. The song's end is good, but not enough.

Overall
    1/2
    Last edited by zznɟ ǝɥʇ; March 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM.

tco's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Modest Mouse--We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Well I really liked the Album. there are a few stand out songs, People as Places as People, Florida, Dashbord, and Fire It Up are good. As an Album thought i loved it.

Anachronist's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Modest Mouse--We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Interesting album, i am new to Modest Mouse and i like most of the songs, Missed the Boat and Dashboard are my favourites so far.