Thread: No Rome but any Latins?

Default No Rome but any Latins?

I Know ya'll have no plans for a Roman Faction (I can understand given the date) but did ya'll consider the Latin Alliance In Italy. at the time made up of many Latin Tribes (Including the Romans). Since around 496 when Rome was forced to join the alliance, it was just six year befroe the battle of Marathon.
    Not to mention it could give ya'll another faction in Italy. I know this is a little late to be mentioning and i am sorry, and the decision is yours i have no quarral with that, but i am curious.

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: No Rome but any Latins?

It's definitely too late to add them (well, from my understanding anyway ) and well, frankly I personally think there are enough Romans in the other mods, so hopefully you can settle for one of the other civs set in Italy.

well, a roman faction there is not in this mod (and the devs have ruled it out on many occasions, whether in the shape of the roman republic or any sort of latin league), but I remember quite a while back a screenshot of roman hoplites fighting some etruscans (and the romans looked quite cool too )

now if you want to actually play other italic factions apart from the etruscans (including romans) in a time before Rome's ascendency, try the Penninsula Italica mod... I know I will

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Rome is present as a rebel city and has a unique unit or two already. With the faction limit we had to make some choices and we decided along the lines of what Racer X said ie Romes in plenty of mods.
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Thanks for anwsering my question ya'll. Yeah would have been nice to have em in Italy but i was plannin on doin mainland Greece first. And as for the Itallian factions ya have out Croton looks pretty cool.

Again Thanks, adn nicely done models

Yeah but apart from the fact that we know Rome eventually won- what distinguished it in 512 BC from a hundred other settlements along the coasts of Italy or settled inland by native italian tribes? Would you rank it as influential as its Etruscan overlords? As Corinth? As Athens or Sparta? In a mod set a hundred years later it would be a different story, but there are other mods for that.

And even so, as Rob said, we appreciate the fact that history distinguishes Rome, so they have several unique units- as it is, they have far more significance than several dozen other cities that were far larger.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

I was asking about the Latin League in general as another contender in Italy.
    I know that it can't and won't be in and i am quite familiar with Corinth, Athens, Sparta and others are more important. I was not asking for the removal of one already in it for another. Why would I when the work ya'll have done in making the armies in this is totally outstanding.

I mean Though ya'll are redoin the Spartan preview the initial one was extrodinary, the Argive one was mind blowing, and even the first previews were unbelievable. The only reason i asked was to see if ya'll could add another contender in Italy to make it just as fun to fight there as i'm sure it will be to fight in mainland Hellas.

Not to mention i am really wanting a chance to take out eihter Athens or Argos and try a certain Strategy angainst Spartas best troops. The one i have in mind has worked for me almost every single time (against both the computer and human players).

By the way is this mod going to be able to be played on multiplayer, so we can take favorite states and fight each other online?
    Last edited by spirit_of_rob; April 03, 2007 at 04:54 AM. Reason: DP - please use edit button