Thread: Corruption: The Devastation Problem of 2.11?

Default Corruption: The Devastation Problem of 2.11?

I've played 62 turns as Spain and despite my best efforts I can't seem to get enough cash to keep going. I finally fiigured out why? I'm losing 10% of my gross income on corruption alone! (and then there's devastation).

I cleared the altered corruption script from the cfg file, deleted the map.rwm file, reloaded, and defaulted to the Vanilla. Corruption costs dropped from 1317 to 746.

I know that I haven't lost that much on each of my 62 turns, but even if I've lost half that still comes to F35,402.

I was losing another F1200 per turn to devastation, even without the "bug." Uprisings are twice as likely in DlV as Vanilla, and the costs are also higher. So there's another bundle.

My estimate is that of the c. F372,000 I've earned thus far I've lost F80,000, more than a fifth, to corruption and devastation. Then you throw in field costs and the hidden costs for any garrisons triggered and it's no wonder that some people who don't pay attention to their finances go bankrupt! I've had towns or forts besieged eight times, for a loss of at least F10,000. And what makes it worse is that I can't afford to keep the troops I paid for and have to immediately disband them. Worse yet, in at least half the cases the attacking AI force was so weak that I didn't even need the garrison troops.

I'm not saying this is all too much, unrealistic, or unplayable, but it is a bit much for me. Thankfully, the files in question are easy to edit and I can figure out how to do it, and to use the "add_money" cheat to make some adjustments so I don't have to keep starting over again and again.

I've lowered the chance of uprisings in provinces at 100% or better publis order to about 1 in ten (my records indicate it is about 5 in ten as it stands in DlV). And I deleted the script for corruption and devastation to default back to Vanilla. I also changed the pirate spawn rate back to Vanilla, which is actually tougher than it is in DlV (from 40 to 28).

I love this mod. It's great! But I want to play Medieval Total War, not Medieval Total Accounting.

Thanks.

Siculus

Default Re: Corruption: The Devastation Problem of 2.11?

@ Siculus:
    Could you please upload your modified files? I'm interested in using them.

@ DLV-Team:
    Personally I have got the feeling that it has gone too far with all the new things concerning money, corruption, permanent costs and stuff like that. Playing as HRE I was barely able to hold my borders. Furthermore I only was able to buy a new building now and then because of the lack of money.

This mod is the best I know but you modders should not forget about the AI. As far as I know, only the player is affected by the changes you do! As a consequence the AI has always a lot more money, more expanded cities, bigger armies and is always ahead of the player. Keep that in mind when you think about adding stuff like corruption, field costs and and and ...

One more thing. I would like to know at which difficulty it's intended to play this mod. A lot of mods (like Ultimate AI) are intended to be played at a vh/vh setting. I can imagine that you're bankrupt right from the start if you're going to play DLV on vh/vh with the actual features like corruption, field and garrison script or only one metropolis for example.

Just 2 cents to think about for the future

Regards
    Rookz

@rookz
    the first rounds you should develop your economy and develop good relations to your neighbours. Later you can attack and then your income will drop drastically.
    Corruption and Devastation is the same for player and AI. The money support script for AI is very small in 2.11

intended to play at VH /VH

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Rookz View Post

@ DLV-Team:
    Personally I have got the feeling that it has gone too far with all the new things concerning money, corruption, permanent costs and stuff like that. Playing as HRE I was barely able to hold my borders. Furthermore I only was able to buy a new building now and then because of the lack of money.
    I agree. In 1.9 version there was a problem with squalor...in 2.0 we had devastation problem...now it's corruption. Every single family member has deep pockets and stuff like that. I have to keep them out of town/castles because I'm loosing way too much money due to their corruption and extravagancy. Adding new features like inflation just make things worst.

I don't play vh/vh for the same reasons as specified in this thread, i play h/h as english on 2.11 with the addon superpack and i love the mod, i developed my economy and attacked the rebel settlements close by, i expanded across the coastline of northern france, into wales and ireland and have just invaded scotland, my economy is in very good shape considering i'm at war, (about 12k per turn, after reduction from corruption and army field costs).

I would say i have one of the strongest factions in the game, i'm 80 turns or more in (been absolutely hooked on it!), and i have really enjoyed the challenge, i have suffered losses in battle, when i've had a numerical advantage, i had a "clear defeat" losing 2000 men to Scotland's 1000, both armies were lead by generals, the main reason being i under-estimated the AI.

My advice is to not play vh/vh but to play h/h, i would reccomend this to anyone as i am personally loving this mod, i havn't had a problem with corruption, just construct law buildings and use governors.

Edit - Brilliant job DlV team