Thread: strategic movt rate

Default strategic movt rate

Is it possible to change the strategic movement rate of units?

agents, generals etc can be change in descr_charcter.txt

Default Re: strategic movt rate

If you actually do mean on the strategic map, then descr_character.txt is the only one you can change. When a unit leaves a city it automatically gets a 'captain' which is referred to as a general in decr_character.txt (whereas 'generals' are referred to as named_characters ~ just to confuse you!)

To change overall unit speeds on the battle map you change the terrain modifiers in descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt

Thanks for the reply

Are you saying that all units use the same movement rate whether they are cavalry or infantry?

What I am trying to simulate is the slow movement of tribal units particularly Galatians who often moved with their families

on the strat map an army that has all cavalry will move faster than one that has some infantry or siege weapons included. I think the cavalry get an additional (hard-coded) amount of movement over the starting points specified in descr_character.txt.

You can't change anything in that to give different speed to different specific units. But if your Galatians are a separate faction what I would suggest is reducing the starting points by say 20 so initially everything moves slower, then give the generals (named_characters), and possibly agents for all the other factions traits to increase their movement points by +20. It won't be ideal as other factions units will move slower if they don't have general with them - but its all I can think of for now. (if rather than effecting everyone you just gave Galatian faction generals reduced movement trait, then it might look a bit silly as their armies would be capable of moving farther without them)

If you want advice on traits there is probably a tutorial around here somewhere - or I can try and give you examples, if you want to try it.