Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: DLV Fan Contributions and Suggestions thread

Default Re: DLV Fan Contributions and Suggestions thread

Any planes on changing the MOnarchs to reflect 1180 and not 1080?

Quote Originally Posted by quintisv View Post
    Any planes on changing the MOnarchs to reflect 1180 and not 1080?
    If you can get the names in full, then by all means pursue it. There is so much going into this thing that I am sure that many ppl would like to see it done-correctly and acurately- but no one has the time. Not when there are so many mechanics issues and patch 2 adjustments, and on, and on...

The thing is, there already are WORKING names and factions, but, there are things that aren't working. The things that don't- get all the attention, and this soon after the 1.2 patch, theres not much attention to go around.

Heres what I'd do. Start a campaign with every faction, one at a time. Write down their entire starting family tree- don't leave anything out. Then research every faction for this time period, this is where its going to get interesting. Find the family members from 1180 to replace the 1080 ones, if you can't match a son for a son, daughter for daughter, match the sons (non heir) to a major general and make up a daughter. The more matches you make, the less changes that would be neccessary. If you exchange 2nd in line or further sons for historical generals, note this as well. Find out their approximate ages for the times as well. Once you've done this, start a thread in the DLV folder showing how you're coming, I can guarantee you that there would be plenty enough of history buffs vying to help you tweek it down to reality. After you've got the replacments or addons/removal's down to as close to historical as possible, start researching into the traits/command/piety/retinue/age/loyalty, for the major characters, for the ones that didn't make HUGE impressions upon history, leave them to their generic 1080 counterparts- less scripting.
    Once you've got this, find someone to script it out for you; I'm sure that there would be volounteers PMing you for just that role if you've got a decent thread detailing your undertaking. Now, once its researched, info nailed down, modder scripted, tested, tested, and tested some more, offer it to Repman and team, though I'd recommend seeing if they're interested first.

Here is what I'd do if I was really as interested in this as you seem to be. Me, I'd do it if I had the time. But, two kids, wife, work, pursuing building home, and everything else- not to mention playing DLV - says that I don't have the time for it. So instead I am going to plead with you to do it, right here where everyone can read that I've done so- because I think its a worthy cause if we are going to stay in 1180. I'm sure that this is on the ledgers somewhere down in the depths of the DLV laboratory, but, the scientists and researchers there are just to busy.

hey quintisv and verity_blues, if ya go back to post#151 you will see I already created a file set that will update the names of the Faction Leaders / Heirs / Family members to the DLV 3.0 1180 A.D. map {yeah, I have time and no kids, no home to build, and a wife who lets me play on the computer too much...hehe}

@wanderingwayne

I knew that someone had posted that already, I'd assumed that it was quintisv without looking back upon it. So it was you instead, my bad. Maybe you should start a new thread about it, like I mentioned above. If you don't know how to script it, I'm sure someone else can.

I have no idea how scriptable the missions are, so I guess this is a "Wouldn't it be cool if...?"

Wouldn't it be cool if there was at least one scripted mission per faction?

I've started a Venetian campaign, and coincidentally just started re-reading the Travels of Marco Polo. Short recap: The Polo brothers (Niccolo and Maffeo) set out in 1259 from Constantinople and eventually end up in the court of the Great Khan. The Great Khan (Kublai) sends them back with a request for 'learned peoples' to come teach Christianity. They waited in Acre during a vacancy between Popes, and then begin their return (with Marco) to the court of Kublai Khan in 1271.

So... You're Venetian, and in 1259 two Venetian diplomats (should be merchants, but the mechanics are easier this way) spawn near Constantinople. The Council of Nobles suggests they make contact with the Mongols. After you accomplish this, the Council (or, if possible, the Mongols) request your return to Acre. In 1271, the Pope gives a mission to send 3 diplomats (Niccolo, Maffeo, and Marco) and two priests (who never did make it there) to again make contact with the Mongols. In 1291, you're requested to return the 3 diplomats to Venice by 1295.

Tall order, I know. But for the very little I know about scripting missions, it seems possible:

1. Spawn two Venetian diplomats in Constantinople region in 1259. Mission from Council to contact Mongols.
    2. If success, mission from Council to return diplomats to Acre region.
    3. Underpants gnomes.
    4. If success by 1271, spawn another Venetian diplomat (Marco) and 2 Venetian cardinals in Acre region, receive mission from Pope to contact Mongols again.
    5. If success, mission from Council to return diplomats to Venice region by 1295.

Problems:

1. The scripting 'thingie' (geez, it sounded like I knew what I was talking about until this part ) probably only allows for one character (ie. one diplomat). If so, condense it so only one is involved.
    2. The script breaks if there's no Mongol faction, or Mongol faction has already agreed to trade rights. (Workaround - bypass it if this happened already?)
    3. Underpants gnomes.
    4. 'Again' making contact with Mongols might be a problem.
    5. The diplomat(s) die during the missions.

So yeah... after 6 beers, that's my suggestion. I'm sure there are other historical instances from each faction that would serve as fodder for similar missions.

Of course, there'd have to be a payoff. For Venetians, it's all about the money and the trade rights...

I really wish I knew more about the inner workings of M2TW. Stuff like this would make DLV even more immersive than it already is. But I don't, so instead, I'll offer to research/plan these other faction missions and just lay here prostrate and begging...

is it possible to fix the still unpassable Kerkyra island in a following version?

i have decided to give it to byzantines because i hate this island.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwayne View Post
    hey quintisv and verity_blues, if ya go back to post#151 you will see I already created a file set that will update the names of the Faction Leaders / Heirs / Family members to the DLV 3.0 1180 A.D. map {yeah, I have time and no kids, no home to build, and a wife who lets me play on the computer too much...hehe}
    Ill give it a go thanks.

Personally, I would do one of two things...

Give the Byzantines just a little more starting ground in modern day Turkey, cause they almost always loose it to the Turks.

or

Create a faction to go between the Turks and Egypt, cause one of those two always becomes a enormous superpower really early. (Crusader states? why not... Some other Muslim faction? Sure...)

Either of those two things will put more pressure southward on Egypt and keep them reasonably powerful, but not the rediculously powerful force I've had to deal with since the game came out. There is too much open ground for Egpyt and the Turks to grab without real opposition and it's a little annoying...

And I forgot... Swabian Swordsmen and Dismounted Mailed Knights went from awesome to downright bad. (In the case of the latter, they failed to kill ANY Italian Spear Militia after climbing up ladders in seiges... very unbalanced.) I have no idea how to fix this myself so I'm putting it out there...
    Last edited by Chiron202; May 09, 2007 at 01:11 AM.

Go Cubbies!

@wanderingwayne
    thanks for your effort...included in next DLV
    Hope you have tested it ...

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Consider lowering upkeep costs for generals.

Reasons: The AI garrison scripts, two turn years and lack of funds early in the campaign slow down expansion

As England I have conquered Ireland and most of Brittian by year 1220 but I can barely maintain one stack because of my 13! family members.

Alternative: Lower the rate of procreation from family members. I have two family members with four children and one with three.

Alternative: would it be possible to script an event that cause some kind of infant mortality event? After all infant mortality was high in that era

Currently I think this situation is causing unrealistic economic stagnation early in the game. It is very hard to avoid even without the player AI garrison script ( good move to remove it by the way). The result of this situation makes it harder to grow the economy which in turn makes it harder to maintain family members. And tends to result in the player falling behind building inproved units and falling behind rivals. This also makes it harder to enjoy the early game as you end up playing with the same starting units for 40 or 50 turns.

I love the mod by the way. I can't even play Vanilla anymore. This is just a balancing issue in imho. One that is already much improved in 3.0 because the garrison script made this situation even harder to deal with.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

I agree it would be nice to have a large "affordable" family, because it certainly gets old sending, old general whats his face on a suicide mission

The quickest route may not always be the most fun.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315

Or smaller families.( rarer fertility traits for generals and princess'.

in my next campaign. I am going to marry off all princess' to rival heirs if possible. Might ease the extended family situation a little bit.
    Last edited by Xtiaan72; May 09, 2007 at 09:36 PM.

I started with the Danes, only four family members and zero kids. Stole a general from my noble ally, Flanders! And guess what, they didn't seem to mind it a bit. Even though he was a four-star, 18 years old! Also got the Flanders privy seal with him, cool huh?

My princesses are white doves, stealing away the hearts of my enemies, or allies, and everything they are holding for their former king as well.

Maybe if you "steal" another factions family member, especialy an allies, this could affect your relations with those factions...

Hi there.

I love your mod, since the first came out it's the only mod ive used.
    after all... the vanilla wasn't really bugfree...
    but, a little criticism, the background is very.. how shall i put this
    well, anyway, let us put it like this, it's just too many images.
    why not tone down the color, make it a little denser
    and perhaps change the color and style of your "Deus Lo Vult" design
    i don't know, perhaps i just thought it would look more professional.
    no offence, but it looks like it's done by amateurs.
    I really hope you don't take it hard on this criticism
    just my point.

Keep up the goodwork, i really love it, i almost never play Rome:total War anymore.. and that's been my favourite for quite some time
    i was so disappointed about the vanilla before the final patch 1.2...
    sad times, and Deus Lo Vult opened my eyes for the beauty of Medieval 2:Total War.. aah
    as i've certainly mentioned before, Deus will always be my favourite mod.
    thank you!

Helsning frå Noreg.
    Hail

The map textures have been reverted to RTW style so that the turn progression is speeded, due to the larger map, and all the scripting, the end turn times can become much longer in DLV, so with regular MTW2 textures you might see quite the wait time each turn.

Repman feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

The quickest route may not always be the most fun.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315

Libertus

I have a suggestion regarding the Portuguese units.

I find this faction lacking any decent early units, so I think you should add armoured swordsmen to it. Or some sort of mailed sword-equipped knights.
    Why ? They had them. And the armour/shield style looks just like it.

I think the DLV emblem is catchy, myself. I think thats its something different and stands apart from the dark and sinister-like emblems, or even the metalic Old English and chipped-edge-goth Lettered mod emblems of the other guys.\

The brightness of the colors is reminiscent of the heraldry of the times.
    This is just my opinion on the matter, as well.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwayne View Post
    Congratulations to the DLV team for an amazingly fast release of DLV3.0, especially considering MTW 1.2 has only been out a few days. Really like the addition of Flanders and Kiev and the additional provinces / settlements {Burgos, Bremen, etc.}

The zip file I am linking contains the three text files needed for updated historically accurate {well, relatively accurate} names for circa 1180 A.D. DLV 3.0 Faction Leaders / Heirs / Family Members..hope I did the link right, still new at this stuff...

http://hosted.filefront.com/wanderingwayne/
    I installed this, and Now I can't create a new game, it just goes back to the menu. What did I do wrong ?

@cromelex
    Delete the bin (string files) in the text folder and the map.rwm in the base folder
    It works fine for me

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by repman View Post
    @cromelex
    Delete the bin (string files) in the text folder and the map.rwm in the base folder
    It works fine for me

repman
    Oh well, I knew I was doing something wrong. It lacked a readme. Anyway, I'll try it tomorrow.

What about my suggestion ? It must be pretty simple to add.