Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: DLV Fan Contributions and Suggestions thread

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Re: Siege/Battle notifications

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    Agreed, the events do liven up the campaign. I included faction leader death events in BBB 2.0. Hadn't thought of heroic victories...
    Originally, I didn't think heroic victories would work with the ai. I thought, naturally, that the autoresolve for ai/ai battles made the best army win. The crossed swords disprove this now that I think about it.

Anyhow, many moons ago I made some traits to count and record up to 150 (overkill!) major victories individually ( all battles vs greater odds) and was happy to see an ai general with 2 of these under his belt. Are battleodds just numbers of troops rather than army strength?

When I saw this rare ai general I thought it would be a good idea to get these guys to hang around even longer and so my other idea that I'd like to suggest is for victorious ai generals to get maximum healing after battles so these great armies don't just dwindle away by their 2nd battle. "oh no, not him again" you may remark as you are repeatedly defeated by the same guy. I think this adds to the excitement.

I add a value of 70 healing in with the ai stars traits (new troops flocking to fill the ranks of a successful general, perhaps). I use this ,but don't actually know if this value is limited. It may not work, but in Rome at least, you could get values at least up to 25 through combined traits.
    Last edited by Byg; March 30, 2007 at 03:52 AM.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Make recruitment dwindle population

Make recruitment dwindle population, like in Rome Total War, if possible. I used to like the idea of my population being a restricting factor and shifting peasants around to boost city sizes.

Default Re: DLV Fan Contributions and Suggestions thread

I've tried out all the major MTW II mods and prefer DlV. After prowling around the large map, I cannot bring myself to play any small map version of MTW II or RTW. I appreciate the efforts to slow the game down and reward more "historic" play.

But there are a few things I'd like to see changed.
    • More piracy: it spices up an otherwise pretty dull naval game, and navies cost, a factor to further slow down expansion. I'd rather fight more pirates than suffer silently the higher effects of corruption.
    • Less brigandage: I play with the setting at 30, which will give you a bit more, on average, than one uprising a turn for every ten provinces you control. That's still two or three rebellions a year for a ten-province state.
    • Back to Vanilla corruption levels. I, personally, find it too frustrating because there's virtually nothing you can do about it.
    • Increase the population of Palermo (c.80,000 in 1100) so it's twice that of London (c.40,000). Believe it or not, Palermo was one of the largest cities in Europe or the Near East in this period.

I have some other ideas, but I'll put them in separate posts.

Siculus

Combine the best field costs aspects of DlV and Anno Domini. Anno Domini field costs vary by distance from the capital. I like that idea. DlV field costs rise dramatically when you lay siege. I like that, too.

My ideal would be a system where DlV model field costs rose as distance from the capital increased. I agree that an army laying siege should cost more than an army maneuvering about. But I would also think that an English army besieging Jerusalem would cost far more than an English army of the same size besieging York. So instead of siege field costs being F2000 across the board (or whatever they are), maybe they could vary from 1000 to 5000? It sure would make the early Crusades tough. Maybe 750 to 3750?

Siculus

My last suggestion involves a 1080 start version. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a 1080 start. The whole set up of MTW II--provincial control and monarch names--are all set to 1080. We're probably talking what? Three or four files that need to be changed?

I've actually made most of the changes necessary. I'm doing them in stages in case I screw something up that causes crashes. I know how to change the start and end dates. I've changed the starting positions in Iberia, taking Toledo from Spain, and Granada from the Moors and making them both rebel Muslims (Taifas). I've fixed the events so they occur 100 years later. I've added back into the file the events that would occur between 1080 and 1179. What I've yet to do is deal with the Mongols who start the game on the map.

If I change them to Rebels so that there are no Mongols at the game's start, will they still appear on schedule, since I've pushed the arrival dates back 100 years?

And lastly, for Repman who seems to monitor this thread, when I finish with all of my alterations, do you have any objection if I upload them on the DlV board as "Deus lo Vult 2.xx Rev. 1080"? I fully acknowledge that the changes I've made are the equivalent of about 100,000th of 1 percent of the work that you and others put into DlV. I have no desire to circulate my mod of the mod as anything other than a very, very, very slightly modified version of DlV (which will probably include no more than a collection of a half-dozen or so further modified files) and not a "Siculus Total War."

Thanks.

Siculus

Make a new thread DLV-1080 and i will link it in this thread

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

If we are starting out in 1080, think we should have a 1 year per turn campaign, otherwise it will never end, and will take too long to reach certain historic events e.g. mongol invasion, gunpowder, americas. If this can be implemented easily, because i'm not really bothered about the starting times, sure William the Conquerer wasn't around in 1180, but that's a very small fault, not worth hours of readjusting the mod.

I'm just gonna throw my opinion out there about the iron thing again, think you guys shouldn't add iron for metrapolitan regions, but rather unlock the master and advanced armourers for large cities and fortresses, so as to keep the strategic element that limited armourers provides, but you can still access the best armour for your troops.

If you're going to use this notifications of king's dying and heroic victories, (good point i really liked these kind of things in Medieval 1) make sure they don't make the game lag too much, or cause turns to last even longer, believe i read in previous threads that the game was already "bloated up" by things like this.

Edit - and of course great mod am lovin it, tis very bad for my health.

Civis

@Siculus: Would you like any help working on the 1080 start? I have a few ideas for it and esp. the mongols.

I am also interested in working on a dlv based mod covering the 6th-11th centuries, ending around 1080. This would include the rise of islam, great schism, and turkish hordes culminating around the time of manzikert. Not to mention viking invasions. Not sure if there is any interest in that time period though.

Abe: You bet. I'm feeling my way around when it comes to modding. Changing a date I can handle. Changing a number here and there's not a problem. Removing some script text is something I can do. I'm working on clearing the Mongols out and think--i.e., I'm not really sure--how to remove them. I'm just not sure what, if any, the impact will be on their later arrival.

If you think you can do it, by all means, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Siculus
    Last edited by Siculus; March 30, 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typos!

Higgum: I know how to adjust the turns per year, but is there a way to do it without people living for 120 years?

Siculus

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Siculus View Post
    Abe: You bet. I'm feeling my way around when it comes to modding. Changing a date I can handle. Changing a number here and there's not a problem. Removing some script text is something I can do. I'm working on clearing the Mongols out and think--i.e., I'm not really sure--how to remove them. I'm just not sure what, if any, the impact will be on their later arrival.

If you think you can do it, by all means, I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Siculus
    I will take a look at the mongols and see what I can do.

Lord Finga's Avatar Decanus

hi,

i have a suggestion for a new roleplayelement in the game. i thought of the following:

before you can move an army out of a settlement you have to tell them *why* you make them leave the safe city or castle. possible reasons could be:

- attacking an invading/besieging army (easy to convince the people)
    - attacking rebels in your lands(somewhat harder to convince the masses because this can mean attacking the own people)
    - attacking rebels out of your lands / occuping rebel settlements (easy)
    - attacking a hostile faction (easy)
    - attacking a neutral faction which means declaring war on them (average to hard depending on how strong (alliances/troops/money) the target faction is and how long you have been in peace with them)
    - attacking an allied faction (hard to convince the people)
    - moving through your homelands or to an own city (easy)
    - moving through allied lands with permission (easy)
    - moving through allied lands without permission (hard)
    - moving through neutral lands (hard)
    - moving through hostile lands (easy)

but the target's strength always plays a decisive role and the decision made by the soldiers can also affect their morale in the battle.

your characters also have special traits making it easier or harder for them to convince the people. obviously every change of target while campaigning will cause your general to convince his army again. in the worst case some or even all soldiers don't move further or retreat to your next town. so every army has to be lead by a general, however it must not be a family member:
    generals can be hired in citys an castles. there are three types of generals:
    - one-star generals (poor command and convince abilities, cheap)
    - two-star generals (average command and convince abilities, average price)
    - three-star generals (good command and convince abilities, expensive)
    to make it not too complex these generals are besides the command and the convince ability normal units which receive no treats or retinue.

hope you can follow my thoughts although its not perfect english. could be too complex to implement this, but i just wanted to tell you about my ideas, maybe you can make use of some of them...

greetz
    Lord Finga
    Last edited by Lord Finga; March 31, 2007 at 06:25 AM.

INVENTOR OF THE SettlementOccupiedScript v08 #4(SOS) for dlv 3.0
    INVENTOR OF THE ChangeCapital v2.04 for dlv 5.2

Default Re: Siege/Battle notifications

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    I included faction leader death events in BBB 2.0. Hadn't thought of heroic victories...
    SWEET! I didn't know if this could even be done. The death of faction leaders is a BIG deal, it say, "An heir to be married here, send this faction a princess FAST!"

DD & Repman, PLZ include this in the next release!!!

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Siculus View Post
    Higgum: I know how to adjust the turns per year, but is there a way to do it without people living for 120 years?
    I REALLY hate to be a pain guys, but if yall are going talk back and forth about what you intend to do, could you just send each other PM's?

I for one am interested in what yall intend to do, but, doesn't this modding stuff take a while, being tedious and all? I'd hate to see the space in this thread "DLV Fan Contributions and Suggestions," being eaten up with back and forth stuff... really, I mean no offense.

I hope your 1080 thing is cool, I'd try it out...
    Last edited by verity_blues; March 31, 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: dumbo-typo

I just thought of a new one...

At game start Jerusalem is rebel. How's about making it a metropoli city too! I mean come on, everyone is gunning for Jerusalem, right? Why not make it more worth the sacrifice to get it. Make it equal to your starting capital. Allow it to reach it's maximum building tier. And how's about giving it more than a wooden wall from the start. It's only, like, the most sieged city on earth, and everyone who's ever laid claim to it (especialy pre-1180) knew it too. You can't tell me Jerusalem had some pansy wooden pallisade! It had strong wall's back when David was slaying goliaths!!!!

@abe froman
    if you want to create the DLV 1080 with 1tpy than open please a new thread for discussion. You need to change although the tresholds for career system and aging. Programmed aging (6 month per turn) can't be changed without errors. I would be interested in the minimod, maybe we switch DLV in general to this settings ?

@verity_blues
    - death messages are included in 2.2
    - I have reduced the walls in general to make for a longer gameplay, so even constantinopel and jerusalem have now wooden walls, even if historically incorrect.

@lord finga
    interesting ideas

barbieman
    Last edited by repman; April 01, 2007 at 03:47 AM.

Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

i just saw that there will be an addon realeased
    Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms
    ... will DLV also change this addon ? ^^

i know its very early for this.... whatever

it's a little bit early for the Addon

repman

Repman/DD

maybe this is mentioned before.... sorry for the repeat if it was...

I havent started on 2.11 yet..still in 2.0... my only complaint on something that needs major improvement...

When I am besieged and I attack the besieging army with my army who is in the castle or city, the AI just retreats a little to get out of tower range and sits there and all I do is pelt them with archers and artillery until half of there force is gone ... its rediculous... I know I could be the nice guy and just not send my archers after them.... but this should be fixed... at least the AI shoiuld send cavalry to attack my archers or something...

Just a suggestion..

Great MOD... cant wait to try 2.11

How about this: ??
    - city harbours are only good for trade
    - ships you can only recruit in castle harbours
    - two highest levels of farms only with resource grain or metropolis

Feedback please?

repman