Thread: SS 2.2 experiment(turns).

Default SS 2.2 experiment(turns).

I tweeked a bit with a file and was able to put everything just like in the 2 year per turn mode, but now it's in a one year per turn mode.

Here are my results(in two different games):

The AI is agressive sometimes(although it depends on who you have as enemies) and is for some periods of time pacific.

By the year 1150-1160 the borders of all factions were set, and very few factions have expanded but just little.

All (neighbour) factions by 1190 have used chilvaric knights and pavise crossbowmen with some degree of frequency, but most of their army units are still relatively weak. Siege weapons are used in about 35-40% of all siege attemps and the weapons used are mostly trebuches and catapults.

Only by the year 1220 has the AI started to put heavy mail in militia units.

No faction has disappeared, never, in both cases.

Large /huge cities and citadels were everywhere by 1200, this makes hard for AI factions to lose against ones another and even for the player to expand it's territory and this is the essence of what makes a chalenge for the player to even think of expanding further than this borders.

I've had quite a pleasent time in consolidating my territories, at least in my opinion, the time available before gunpowder appears is long enough for you to have a couple of adventures and to use you most advanced units before new technologies appear.

In short I've really enjoyed playing under a one year per turn mode, the amount of time available seems very good and gives you enough time for you have a very flexible campaing before you can worry about spending more funds in further technological improvements.

However, perhaps 1,5 years per turn also does seem to fit.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; March 26, 2007 at 03:06 PM.

Default Re: SS 2.2 experiment(turns).

Hi numerosdecimus,

Thanks for the report! Sounds quite promising.
    Probably this will help me with the decision if I stick with 2 years per turn or if I choose another mode as 1 or 1.5 years per turn...
    However, I'm still unsure...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

I used to play on 1.5 and it worked pretty well. I don't like 1 year per turn because I usually don't play more than 200-250 turns per campaign. In my opinion, 2 or 1.5 is the best setting.

Hmm...I like my campaigns rather long!

I don't mind some 800 turns...I don't change factions that often...

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Fortunately, the years/turns rate and building times are easy to change, so whatever Mr. Kong selects can be tweaked to individual tastes.

Student, you sound like a hardcore player, and I'll bet you get the most out of every one of those 800 turns. I rarely achieve the 50 regions goal. Instead, I set my own limited win conditions and don't need that many turns. I lose interest once the major challenges are over, and I'm dominating the game.

I'm 50 but I have the attention span of a 14 year old.

Lets see here:

1/2 years per turn = aproximately 920 turns

1 year per turn = aproximately 460 turns

1.5 years per turn: aproximately 345 turns.

In my opinion I think 469 turns or 345 turns are the limits for an ideal game in terns of a "satisfactory" game lenght.

I do share Student23's opinion about enjoying a long campaing(800 turns aprox), yet 460 turns is enough for me to be satisfied with game lenght. I only play with 800 turns when I really want a long slow and hard chalenge, and I do enjoy this kind of long campaing time gameplay very much.

Yup, I also have some hardcore tendencies.

Hi Wolfgrin,

Fortunately, the years/turns rate and building times are easy to change, so whatever Mr. Kong selects can be tweaked to individual tastes.
    Actually, this is quite right!
    I think I will stick with 2 years per turn and as you said, it can be easily tweaked to another campaign length.
    Also, I will stick with adding an additional file for a 1year per turn game where building times and costs will be accordingly increased...

And I hope this can also please play-styles like yours, numerosdecimus and Student!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Not a problem since I can still play with the 1 year per turn mode, but with the original expor_descr_building strat .

Actually nice that all those small issues can be changed manually! Basic comfort for me!!

IMHO 1.5 yrs per turn is ideal.

I prefer 0.5 max. 1 year per turn...longer game

Personally i would like to see the 12 turns per year used by the team on the now defunct (its a pity) 1066 mod overseen by reikmarshal,the player can campain during the warmer months but find it difficult to campain during the winter,DisgruntledGoat was the artist for this mod and i much admire his artwork,KK you think you could possibly implement his strat models for the english in SS 6.1? as they indeed are beautiful and can only compliment the game,possibly useing some of his skins for the early recruitable units also?.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo582 View Post
    Personally i would like to see the 12 turns per year used by the team on the now defunct (its a pity) 1066 mod overseen by reikmarshal,the player can campain during the warmer months but find it difficult to campain during the winter,DisgruntledGoat was the artist for this mod and i much admire his artwork,KK you think you could possibly implement his strat models for the english in SS 6.1? as they indeed are beautiful and can only compliment the game,possibly useing some of his skins for the early recruitable units also?.
    I completely agree! For any who haven't yet tried it, I heartily recommend this mod. I can't play the game without it now!

Here's the link:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...79#post3295879

Perhaps 12 turns per year is too long for most people, but I much prefer it to 1 or 2 turns per year. I don't really care if I never actually finish the game, I enjoy the process of playing and taking it slow. It drives me absolutely NUTS to see Summer and Winter alternate every turn!

For a nice balance, I like 6 turns per year, which makes movement on the strat map much more realistic and strategic - since you can shorten the length of the army's movement points.

There is also a 4 turns per year version. That way you have one turn for each season and just one turn of snowy conditions.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Thread necromancy =
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by aduellist View Post
    Thread necromancy =
    Rubbish. Unless you're contending that every thread that has ever been posted has already been read by everybody currently reading this forum.

If it's old news to you, fine. Nobody is forcing you to read it again - let alone contribute to it's "resurrection" with a spam point of your own.

aduellist's Avatar Push the button Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Macroi View Post
    Rubbish. Unless you're contending that every thread that has ever been posted has already been read by everybody currently reading this forum.

If it's old news to you, fine. Nobody is forcing you to read it again - let alone contribute to it's "resurrection" with a spam point of your own.
    Rubbish back at you. In case you hadn't noticed, the current SS version is 6.1 (4.1 for non-Kingdoms). In what way is resurrecting a thread about SS 2.2 from 18 months ago in any way relevant or necessary?
    Last edited by aduellist; December 10, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
    Under the patronage of TheFirstONeill
    Proud team member of
    THERA, A New Beginning

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken

"Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they first of all strike down." Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by aduellist View Post
    Rubbish back at you. In case you hadn't noticed, the current SS version is 6.1 (4.1 for non-Kingdoms). In what way is resurrecting a thread about SS 2.2 from 18 months ago in any way relevant or necessary?
    Because we are talking about turns in the latest version of the mod. Now, do you have something to contribute to the conversation, or not?