Thread: Any ideas on stopping calvary?

Default Any ideas on stopping calvary?

I admit that I am a noob but dang those horemen walk over my infantry. They seem to run in and out at will. They do alot of damage in these attacks and seem to take very few losses. Even my spearman and pikemen seem to just get run over.
    1. One cav unit charges and retreats.
    2. Seconds later another hits.
    3. The spearmen rout.
    Even light horse are devasting in charges against infantry. Just minutes ago several units of light horse ate my spearmen and heavy infantry whole.
    Its so hard to pin them down after they hit you. They just seem to ride off. Its also very hard to turn an inf unit so keep your flanks safe from them.
    Is there any way to make my inf more effective against them?

Default Re: Any ideas on stopping calvary?

*sighs*

first off, wat sort of cavalry? if heavy cavalry (knights etc) then only face them head on with spear infantry. (pikemen, armoured sergents, halberds) the common tactic for all cavalry was to charge, disengage and charge again, so get ur cavalry behind ur enemies 2 cut off their path of escape
    HE WHO IS RED

If its light cavalry place peasants in front of your heavy units, tell them to run backwards ("flee" key) and the horses charge will become obsolete and dispersed. (bug, but its the only way)
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

Cha0sMarin3's Avatar Semisalis

Once the enemy cavalry charge, use a unit to flank its rear so it cant retreat. Use heavy infantry prefferably (but cavalry and sometimes ranged units will do) to flank it and engage the enemy. You will now have its cavalry pinned down, and will get slaughterd in less than a minute. The only thing you got to do is hold of the enemies main force with some other unit. When you havent used your own heavy cavalry (most likely your generals unit) use it in the same way as I described above. When it all works out, you will have one destroyed enemy unit and 2 slightly damaged units of your own. When you have no reserves left to outflank them, and you have no pikemen (or heavy spearmen), pray to the god of war you will survive...

intercepting them with a flanking manouvere with your own cavalry usually slows them down.

but i think that cavalry is so weak. i know that more than 90% don't agree with me. but what i can say if my 3 units of my 80 english knights are fighting against 4 units of 150 peasant and 1 unit of 120 crossbow militia. yes i won this battle, but i lost more than 100 of my knights . it shouldn't happened. i think i should be able to wipe them out without losing so many of them

Granted, i had more men, jaizels, a cannon and a tactical position on a hill. Plus, he only withdrew twice to reform and charge. Use your infantry to surround the enemy and pin them.

He had all santiago's too. unit setting was large
    Last edited by kaleus Khron; April 08, 2007 at 08:26 PM.