Thread: ES Vol. IV|Iss. VI: Deus lo Vult, Modding Registry, AAR

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default ES Vol. IV|Iss. VI: Deus lo Vult, Modding Registry, AAR

The Eagle Standard

Well folks, welcome back to our sixth issue of the Eagle Standard. Let me tell you, we've got a monster-of-an-issue here people. So big in fact, that it took me 1 hour and two attempts to edit it. This week's issue is primarily a Comte de Laconia special, who has interviewed members of the mod Deus lo Vult, as well as the official Modding Registrar Hader. We finish off this week's issue with an AAR from Hex Khan. See for yourselves...

Comte de Laconia interviewing Repman, derdrakken, and Tokus*Maximus, members of the Medieval II: Total War mod, Deus lo Vult

Hello TWC Fans! This is Comte de Laconia, new member of the Eagle Standard, and I’m sitting down with Repman, derdrakken and Tokus*Maximus from Deus lo Vult. The Eagle Standard is here to bring you behind the scenes coverage on the creators of one of Medieval 2: Total War’s hottest mods.

Is there any collective background information you can give us about the mod Deus lo Vult, and its team?

Repman: I started modding in summer 2005, creating a small add-on to Vlad’s mod for RTW. Later this changed into the well known Barebones Wars mod. I never have done any skinning or modeling but concentrated on integrating stuff from other modders in a unique way. Quick & Dirty, no time for the nitpickers...
    Deus lo Vult was the first quick-shot-mod made public for MTW II, nearly published in the night after the game was released... a little crazy. Two other fine individuals joined the team, so DLV is now a baby of three businessmen
    Tokus*Maximus: I've been a forum lurker for many years an in all of the great Total Wars. I decided to do 2D artwork for Repman and DerDrakken as I had enjoyed Repman's tough Bare Bones Wars for RomeTW and wanted to make M2TW have more of that character RPG flavor of MTW.
    derdrakken: I've been a Total War player since MTW, but I only started modding last December when I discovered Deus lo Vult. I loved how DLV increased the challenge of M2TW commensurate with the skills of TW'ers who are battle hardened grognards at this point in the series. My first project was changing the portraits for family members, how little I knew then where that would lead.

What aspects of Medieval 2: Total War does Deus lo Vult aim to improve, and how?

Tokus*Maximus: The player's campaign game enjoyment. More sense that the generals, heir and king are players in a grand medieval soap opera and the player wrestling with the role- playing elements on Deus lo Vult.
    derdrakken: M2TW gives a great sense of the heraldry of the age in the real-time battles, but misses the boat in the campaign game. In DLV we've added a heraldic rank system, titles, crowns, legendary swords, all with the goal of making it a much more immersive medieval campaign experience.

How does Deus lo Vult distinguish itself from the many mods that are currently available?

Repman: Role-play as a real Knight, Prince or King in a true medieval atmosphere and face unique strategic challenges due to many scripted elements on a big map and get beaten up on the battlefield...Deus lo Vult!
    derdrakken: Also, we really focus on providing a challenging strategic game experience. The field army script (armies outside of settlements have increased costs) and garrison script (besieged cities spawn defensive garrisons) really force the player to carefully plan and execute warfare. And when you win a game of DLV, you feel like you've accomplished something.

Do you consider Deus lo Vult to be historically accurate?
    Tokus: Nope, its aim is entertainment.

What inspired you to reintegrate the Heraldry system into Deus lo Vult, Medieval: Total War nostalgia?
    Tokus: Just wanted to add more RPG elements and doing flashy banners for knights was the excuse!
    Repman: MTW II was too much RTW, so it needed a medieval overhaul
    derdrakken: I loved Medieval: Total War...I'm starting to love M2TW thanks to extensions like the heraldic rank system in DLV2.0. Is that too narcissistic?

This may be tough, but describe Deus lo Vult in ONE word!
    Repman: Scream.

You must be fairly busy; do you play any mods for M2TW (other than DLV) or RTW?

Tokus: I've not had time to enjoy the latest DlV 2.0; I’ve been so busy in my ‘‘real’ life. I’m hoping to find some time by mid-March. Would love to play more mods from others, but time is always too sparse.
    Repman: I do not play even my own mods. Creating new stuff is more interesting than playing...
    derdrakken: Every time I start a game of DLV2.0 (which is the only mod I have time to play) I find something I want to "improve" and start a-modding again. I blame Repman for this.

With the 2nd M2TW patch expected soon, along with its promising new features, should we be expecting anything from the DLV team soon?
    Repman: Scream II: More role-play, more fun...
    derdrakken: There's so much more we want to do...we'll try to take advantage of any bone the 1.2 patch throws us.
    Tokus: The DlV mod is tough on the player; with M2TW 1.2's presumed ch-ch-changes I hope the game thrashes us all. Let's face it; I'd far more enjoy victories if they were fewer. Vanilla let's you roll right over it on VH/VH. That shouldn't happen. There has to be limits and a steady challenge or players get bored. That's why people mod I guess.

Is there any advice or feedback you have for current or future modders?

Tokus: Do what you want to and enjoy it. It's a bonus if other people like it.
    Repman: You need patience and stamina. Follow your own way. Listen to your fans but do not get haunted by the millions voices asking for this and that.
    derdrakken: And make sure you keep exercising and eating right...modding is tough but rewarding work.

Any thanks or shout outs you would like to give out?

Tokus: The AD mod guys. They're modding from similar cloth. If I had time even to play latest DlV 2.0 I'd be checking their mod out.
    Repman: I thank all the well-known modders which made DLV possible. Although a silent minute for the unknown modder fallen on the battlefield...
    derdrakken: Amen brother, amen.

Gentlemen, it’s been a pleasure and thank you so much for your time. Good luck with your future endeavors, well be expecting to hear from you soon! Below we have some screenshots of Deus lo Vult 2.0 in action! Weve added them for your viewing pleasure.

The Battle rages on.....

Hold the Line!

Portuguese General KIA.

New Historical Events!

Legendary Swords!

Deus lo Vult's amazing new heraldic system!

If you're interested in this mod, make sure to download it, here at TWC!

Check out the Deus lo Vult forum for further updates!

For more information on Deus lo Vult, check out this thread!

Well, thats all we have for today, I hope you've enjoyed todays segment.

Comte de Laconia interviewing Hader, official Total War Center Modding Registrar

The Eagle Standard is back in full effect, with one of TWC's own Hader, AAR Creator, Librarian for the Scriptorium and Modding Registrar. Hader has taken some time off of his busy schedule to answer a few questions.

Hader, thank you for taking some time out of your schedule to sit down with the Eagle Standard and give us a look at what makes the clock tick inside the Modding Registry

I understand that you are not only the Modding Registrar, but also a Librarian for TWC’s Scriptorium and a contributor of quality AAR’s as well. What keeps you going? Black Coffee? Red Bull?

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Red Bull- or much coffee for that matter. I would say that what keeps me going is simply, interest and determination. I have lately gotten much more active in the modding community due to my own mod which I am currently working on, so I thought I could learn more by being the Registrar. As far as that goes, it has sorta helped me, I have stumbled upon ideas and material which I have considered using in my own mod, or just trying out for personal enjoyment. As far as AARs go, I wouldn't say I am a steady contributor of them. Don't get me wrong, I love to write those things, but I have only made two really explicit ones, which never were totally finished due to computer problems.

Can you give a general description of what the Modding Registry’s objective is?

The Registry aims to give modders and their mods a way to make it publicly noted what their mods are, who made them, etc. One of the biggest purposes it serves of course, is acting as a 'license' for a mod that modders can have exclusively here at TWC to protect their work and gain the public accreditation that they so deserve. Another smaller purpose, though not totally irrelevant, is the fact that a registered mod has more opportunity to gain more recognition. If you noticed, the mod registration form has slots for much information from a mod, which is an effective and legal form of advertisement for a mod.

What advantage/s does a registered mod have over one that is not registered?

One obvious advantage is legal rights to the mod (only enforceable in TWC). A registered mod can easily defeat any case brought against its rights. We have witnessed things like this before concerning the rights over the name of a mod. That is what spurred the creation of the registry. A non registered mod, on the other hand, has no real legal rights here in TWC. It doesn't mean that we would stand idly back and let a modder and their work be trampled and destroyed from some public behavior, but when it concerns something like accreditation where it is due, then this is where a non registered mod has a disadvantage.

What are some of your duties as acting Registrar?

Organizing the Registry in way so that people don't have to search endlessly through the forum looking for info on a registered mods; Of course, contacting what modders I can asking them to register their mod; keeping everything up to date (though I need help from the modders on their mods for that one!); I also have to mediate any disputes between the rights of mods on the forum.

Essentially, you are the Officer of the Registry, is there anything else that you feel is important to share with the people of TWC concerning the Modding Registry?

REGISTER YOUR MOD!!! That pretty much sums it up. I like to see a lot of mods registering, only good comes out of it for all of them. IF anyone wants to learn more about it, PM me or visit the forum and ask a question.

Oh, and PM me with the registration....a few have gone to gigagaia, who posted an announcement for me *. Don't bombard him with PMs!

Thank you so much Hader, for giving us a behind the scenes look at the Modding Registry. We will be looking forward to watching it grow greater every day! Good luck to you and well be back next time with another edition of "The Eagle Standard."

Quote Originally Posted by gigagaia View Post
    A few my fat round posterior. Most of those Mods registered have Pmmed me!! lol!!
    ------------------------------------

Again, don't forget to visit the Modding Registry to register your mods
    Enter the Modding Registry here

This is Comte de Laconia, with the Eagle Standard, signing out

Presents
    The Sons of Alexander
    by Hex Khan

My Son
    Ask for yourself another Kingdom
    For that which I leave
    Is too small for Thee

Near to the East
    In a part of ancient Greece
    In an ancient land
    called Macedonia

Was born a son
    To Philip of Macedon
    The legend his name was Alexander
    At the age of 19 he became the Macedon King
    He utterly beat the armies of Persia

Hellenism he spread far and wide
    The Macedonian learned mind
    Their culture was a western way of life
    Marching on

The battle weary marching side by side
    Alexander's army line by line
    They wouldn't follow him further into India
    Tired of the combat, pain and the glory

Alexander the Great
    His name struck fear into hearts of men
    Alexander the Great
    He died of fever in Babylon

by Steve Harris and Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden

The satrap of Bactria, Diodotus, had long been a liegeman to the superior power the Seleucids ruled by the Antiochus II, a great Hellenic King. Diodotus looked out his governing palace in Bactria all he saw was a vast expanse of sand and rock, "I wish for something more, we are the heirs of Alexander, yet we his children do not expand, we sit about idle fighting with ourselves, how Alexander must weep as he watches over us." Diodotus spoke out to the gods. "And I, a talented ambitious commander, I am rewarded with Satrapship of a back water region, without fame or glory, fighting rebels and outlaws, with the ghost of glory hanging over my shoulder. I shall rise up out of the sand so to shall my family we will make this land wealthy and make Alexander proud with our exploits in war and conquest!"

Diodotus placed a small humble offer to a small image of Zeus for the King of the Gods to watch over him and guide him to victory.

Diodotus summoned to him the greatest army that this land had seen since the days of Alexander and the Persian Empire. His army stirred a great deal of pride in the now denounced rebel leader, the Seleucids would come, this Diodotus knew and when they did they would be greeted by men of great pride and valour proud sons of Bactria and the heirs to Alexander.

Diodotus marched out from Bactria leaving his son, Euthydemus to govern in his stead. In the vanguard of Diodotus marched the illustrious Agema, with their bronze Aspis, scarlet cloaks and bronze helms, followed by the backbone phalanx pikemen with archers behind them, with Companion Cavalry and Cataphracts on the wings and a secret weapon from the kings of India in return of their autonomy, Elephants...

Diodotus lead his loyal army far into Seleucid territory, outside the hallowed gates of the great Hellenic city of Seleucia, where the Seleucid King Antiochus II had massed a mighty host of hardened silver shields and cataphracts.

The two army lined themselves up sarissa's raised in mutual respect as their code demanded, the battle would commence only when two Kings met and the sarissa's lowered.

The old King Antiochus sent forth a valiant captain, Menander, to seek the terms of the rebellious Satrap of Bactria.

Menander rode to the Bactrian ranks finding their Satrap front and centre.

"Satrap of Bactria, I come with asking for your terms and we shall return our own."

Diodotus rode out to meet him with small following of companions. "I have come here to claim independence from your King Antiochus, Bactria shall serve the Seleucid Empire no more! We are free and shall not bow the knee no longer for we are the Sons of Alexander!" With that statement his men cheered and Diodotus and his armoured companions charged the captain, running him through with their lances.

Bactria had come to fight for their freedom not talk they knew the Seleucids would not grant them independence only the position of vassal, this Bactria would not suffer.

Seeing his favourite captain mercilessly slain before his eyes, Antioch ordered his army forward sarissas lowered the two lines clashed and after a long while of pushing and shoving back and forth neither phalanx line gave way. But the Seleucid King was wise, he had long received new of the intended Bactrian rebellion led by their Satrap Diodotus and had prepared for it and now fuming with rage lusting for vengeance the Seleucid King unleashed is trap on the rear of the Bactrian line...

Pouring down from the mountains that surrounded the city of Seleucia came the savage and wild mountain men and Scythian mercenaries, effectively out flanking the Bactrians of all flanks...

Realising that if his army remained they shall surely be defeated and crushed along with any hope of Bactrian independence, he contemplated retreat...

"My King!" cried out the veteran commander of the Agema phalanx, Philip, "My King! We shall cover the retreat of your army, we shall remain behind and fight on as long was our bodies remain standing! Take them all flee back to Bactria regroup and honour our sacrifice, if you should fall so too shall our dreams. Go now Diodotus like the wind!"

Tears in his eye Diodotus and his army fled the field leaving the proud Agema to face certain defeat and death but infinite glory through eternity.

Antiochus was determined to follow the rebellious Bactrians, and make an example of them all however the Agema were proving too much of a hindrance, too weak to defeat his army but too strong to be ignored. Ultimately Antiochus had to remain behind oversee their defeat.

The Agema had as promised bought enough time for Diodotus and his army to return to Bactria and prepare and await the Seleucid storm...

King Antiochus II was half way across Ariana when news reached him of great and dreadful news, his old rivals, the Ptolemaic Egyptians had attacked Syria, in fury Antiochus left the army with a larger sum of troops leaving a smaller expeditionary force of savage Asian mercenaries and a smaller number of elite silver shields and companion cavalry.

Upon hearing this Diodotus nestled in Bactria licking his wounds was overjoyed and further news that the Parthians, nomadic vassals to the Seleucid Kings also rose up against their Overlords, this further divided the Seleucid forces. Diodotus and his son Euthydemus gathered their army and marched out to meet the Seleucids once more in battle, but this time Diodotus and his Bactrians held the cards as they marched to war...

The Bactrians marched with great but simple pace they beheld the broken tired lines of the Seleucids led by an unknown captain, the gods sure had blessed the Bactrians never before had they intervened so much so, that Diodotus nor his son would be needed to win this battle...

Diodotus however was not a risk taker, he ordered his phalanx to line up and his wings covered by his Indian elephants and armoured cataphracts.

The battle began with Diodotus ordering his cataphracts, companions and elephants crashing into his enemy's flanks, the Seleucid flanks were covered by lightly armed javelin throwers, which could not with stand the terrible on rush...

The elephants and heavily cavalry tore through the enemy lines and gave chase to the routing men who led in terror.

Else where the Bactrians had similar success, their phalanx clashed with that of their Seleucid enemy. the lines locked but the Bactrians greater in moral and better drilled and veterans marched through the Seleucid lines, slowly the Seleucid Silver Shields buckled and began to fall as the sarissas advanced...

Finally the Seleucid line broke and gave when the prestigious Silver Shields broken line and fled the field.

Elsewhere the feeble Seleucid captain was isolated and cut off from his men and slain...

With this battle won the Bactrian army had achieved independence form their Seleucid Overlords and now the Seleucid territories in Ariana was ripe for the picking, however with news that the Parthians had achieved victory likewise the it would be a race between the two fledgling nations to expand and consolidate less one would wipe away the other, or far worse the Seleucids could return and bring them to heel once more...

The Picture of the Week

After a fierce fight, I am proud to announce that the winner of Picture of the Week 51 is none other than Hattori, with his MII:TW screenshot entitled "Snow Storm"

Damn it's cold, but...."For the motherland!" It will make a great desktop background.

Check out Hattori's picture gallery for more awesome screenshots.

Again, congratulations to all of the contestants, and to Hattori for winning the POTW 51. We're hoping to see some good entries for POTW 52!

That'll be all for now. With that said, this is Bulgaroctonus, OUT
    Last edited by therussian; March 26, 2007 at 01:56 PM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Default Re: ES Vol. IV|Iss. VI: Deus lo Vult, Modding Registry, AAR

Thanks for offering the interview

And DLV 2.1 will be out in the shops tomorrow ....Scream II ....expect long waiting lines so first come fist serve

repman
    Last edited by repman; March 25, 2007 at 02:43 PM.

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

Another Great AAR Hex, Props man. Keep em coming!

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Kudos to the DLV team, excellent work!

Hader, thanks for the Registry.

And Khan, where do you find the time...

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    That's what the rest of us at the ES are thinking. Not only does he do AARs, but he's also started to do interviews! Pretty soon me and Comte are going to be out of our jobs.

You can only hope to contain him!

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

A few my fat round posterior. Most of those Mods registered have Pmmed me!! lol!!
    heh heh... did I say that???
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

Hex Khan, maybe you should better mention that those lines at the start of your post/article are by Iron Maiden's Steve Harris.

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

very true Dennus, but as a maiden fan i wouldnt dare take the glory for them,

as for time to write them deRougemont, lets say I'm a quick typer
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    Didnt you know? Khan is "the Borg." There is no such thing as food, drink or sleep for him. Only the AAR!

That's what the rest of us at the ES are thinking. Not only does he do AARs, but he's also started to do interviews! Pretty soon me and Comte are going to be out of our jobs.
    Too true, pretty soon, the world will run off the energy of 100 hard working Khan clones. Domination will be his.

Quote Originally Posted by gigagaia View Post
    heh heh... did I say that???
    I wouldn't have put it up there if you hadn't

Dennus: Added. Great song. (plus two guitarists........and all have scowls)

Oh, and POTW updated
    Last edited by therussian; March 26, 2007 at 01:57 PM.

Sad, the ES seems to be losing popularity

Good job once again though!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    Sad, the ES seems to be losing popularity

Good job once again though!

i wouldnt say its "losing" popularity as much as much as it has plateaud. If you look at the number of views, were right on pace for last week, and perhaps the few weeks before. I just wish we could get more people to actually read the stuff. Its not THAT bad

Anyone here played Repmans mod? Its pretty interesting - especially the fact that, it works with patch 1.2