Thread: New Character Names Lists

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Default New Character Names Lists

So what are your plans as far as redoing the names list for the Eastern factions? I've tried unsuccessfully to recruit Arabs and Turks to come up with new character names lists, but with no luck.

p.s. I'd also like to add that in the next week I'll be developing a tutorial for quickly formatting new names lists using Excel. I'll post a link if you wish.

Regards, Rouge

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: New Character Names Lists

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    So what are your plans as far as redoing the names list for the Eastern factions? I've tried unsuccessfully to recruit Arabs and Turks to come up with new character names lists, but with no luck.

p.s. I'd also like to add that in the next week I'll be developing a tutorial for quickly formatting new names lists using Excel. I'll post a link if you wish.

Regards, Rouge

Hey Rouge,

Nice to see you here. We're definitely gonna have alot of new names for the new Muslim (and a Hindu) faction. I will probably end up doing alot of the Muslim factions names using historically existing princes, after that just adding generic names.

Anyones free to use the lists we make and each faction thread has "names" section. And we also would really appreciate any help with this too. I would gladly incorporate your mod if it expands to the new factions present in this mod.

If you look at the faction threads we've already got names working for the Armenians and Georgians.

I would really like to use excel to shorten the time and work required to make these lists, looking forward to it!

MIRAGE
    Last edited by Miraj; March 23, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

@mirage

I'm repasting the following from another thread here, feel free to delete the other one:

Sounds great (though I as a matter of course always name those who have had a hand in the CNP). Anyway, as I posted elsewhere here, I will be making a tutorial for how to use excel for making the lists (it is tricky, but fast once you know what you're doing). Also, I can format your lists myself.

When you finalize a names list(s), give me a shout per PM or at the CNP forum. Just so you know, it is much easier to make the list after you have all the names ready rather than revising an already formatted list as you find more and more names. Doing it the latter way can lead to lots of problems. I would advise waiting until you have all the names you plan to use before formatting lists.

p.s. I'll post my tutorial here when it's done.
    Last edited by deRougemont; March 23, 2007 at 05:07 PM.

I've creating the first part of a tutorial on using Excel 2003 to make names lists (it deals with making the descr_names.txt):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...25&postcount=1

I decided to use 2003. However, the method is exactly the same for 2007 (and easier, I might add).

This week I'll expand the tutorial to names.txt files. This is where Excel really comes in handy, but gets trickier as well.
    Last edited by deRougemont; March 26, 2007 at 10:00 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

I've creating the first part of a tutorial on using Excel 2003 to make names lists here (it deals with making the descr_names.txt):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...25&postcount=1

I decided to use 2003. However, the method is exactly the same for 2007 (and easier, I might add).

This week I expand the tutorial to names.txt files. This is where Excel really come in handy, but gets trickier as well.
    Thanks alot. Will look out for your next tutorial.

i dont know if you still need names or not, but i found this site with a pretty good list of rulers of the area and time.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/isru/hd_isru.htm

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by drowsiman555 View Post
    i dont know if you still need names or not, but i found this site with a pretty good list of rulers of the area and time.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/isru/hd_isru.htm

Wow, thats a good link man! Its like a total summary.

thanks, im trying to help how i can. i found that while trying to find some symbols and banners because i noticed many factions didnt have any yet. im not sure if you need those yet, so just let me know what other info you may need.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by drowsiman555 View Post
    thanks, im trying to help how i can. i found that while trying to find some symbols and banners because i noticed many factions didnt have any yet. im not sure if you need those yet, so just let me know what other info you may need.
    Well we have tentative symbols for some.

For the Muslim factions, historically they used standards with usually some sort of writing on it. So I think it will end us requiring to be quite "creative" with them.

Any information on faction symbols for the Muslim factions would be much appreciated.

i found this site on muslim women leaders as well. could help with either names of female characters or in historical events (i dont think it was too common for women to rule back then, especially in this part of the world)

http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/Muslim_Leaders.htm

Just a heads up for those of you creating new character names lists. I've just completed my guide for using Excel 2003 for making the lists. It is detailed and includes a load of screenshots to help you. The methods and formulas in it will save you TONS of time and work.

See the guide here.

Good luck,

Rouge

Indefinitely Banned

Thanks DeRougemont. I'll definitely use this, it'll make life a lot easier for me!

i have a question, i dont want to add any new names , i just want to know the easiest way to edit say a first or last name like you were saying about {henry}heinrich thing so newely created characters will use the new name i put in? what do i have to do just for that. im no modder , any help plz?

Well, using the example of Henry... If you wish that name to show up in the game as Heinrich, got the "M2:TW/data/text" folder and edit the names.txt file. In it, search for {Henry}Henry. Simply edit it to read {Henry}Heinrich.

For more details see my spiffy new guide. You can also post questions there, where I am more likely to see them (though I lurk in this forum). But please read through the guide first, as it is meant to help those with no knowledge of modding these files.

Indefinitely Banned

Well, using the example of Henry... If you wish that name to show up in the game as Heinrich, got the "M2:TW/data/text" folder and edit the names.txt file. In it, search for {Henry}Henry. Simply edit it to read {Henry}Heinrich.

For more details see my spiffy new guide. You can also post questions there, where I am more likely to see them (though I lurk in this forum). But please read through the guide first, as it is meant to help those with no knowledge of modding these files.
    BTW I added you to our credits.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    BTW I added you to our credits.
    I saw; honored.