Thread: Extended Map: An opportunity for the future?

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Default Extended Map: An opportunity for the future?

Hello!

I just saw this map here, which is still under development:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89161

If it adds more realistic americas, and sorts the regions, considering he will release it to the public, it will be an excellent addition to the mod, as it will include more lands to explore, and the Renaissance was( from my few historical knowledge, correct me if I am wrong), an Age Of Explorations, and a map like this will be great fro the mod in my opinion.

Thoughts?
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Extended Map: An opportunity for the future?

I like it. Seems a good addition to our mod. But don't we plan to have our own map? Anyway, if not, then this one would be more than OK.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

I like it. Seems a good addition to our mod. But don't we plan to have our own map? Anyway, if not, then this one would be more than OK.

Well, we planned to have our own map, but our mapper left and put Renaissance TW out of his sig without notifying us... So, we will go with that...
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Well, we planned to have our own map, but our mapper left and put Renaissance TW out of his sig without notifying us... So, we will go with that...
    we had a mapper? really?

Anyways... about the map, I can say that it's very interesting but it definitely needs to expand to the Americas before it can really serve our purpose. However, the additional area in Africa and India is a good start (now, if only we could find a way to get the Portuguese to India :hmmm

i like the map but it needs work. the province need to be sorted out and so does the americas. the valley of mexico can no longer be sticking out like a pennisula. it would be great for the age of exploration with africa and the americas.

How about trying to obtain this map from selenius?

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79585

yeah, but cegs using it for pmtw. the mods are in similar time periods so if we were to use that map it might look like we were copying.

Pike and Musket Total War? Someone's making one for M2?

Adding more of America is always going to be good for a game with discovery and exploration as such a key feature, more overseas territories to take over would be nice.

Just one thing, can we make it impossible to recruit western units in the Americas? It'd add more of that "It'll take months for reinforcements to arrive" feeling you have when your army get's beaten by hundereds of angry natives and your poorly garrisoned colonies are threatened.

Actually, are there any plans for an AOR type recruitment system? You wouldn't just be able to show up in jerusalem and within the year be able to recruit arquebusiers dressed in fashionable european clothes. Just a few thoughts

i like those ideas since they are realistic. CA's big mistake was not doing anytihng about an aor system. it made the game look stupid to recruit european arquebusiers in america the turn after it was conquered. however, ive heard from other mods that implementing a aor system is very hard and time consuming.

Just one thing, can we make it impossible to recruit western units in the Americas? It'd add more of that "It'll take months for reinforcements to arrive" feeling you have when your army get's beaten by hundereds of angry natives and your poorly garrisoned colonies are threatened.
    that's a piece of cake to do... real easy. you just add the "and not hidden_resource america" for all european units in the EDB and ...voila: no europeans recruitable in the americas

Actually, are there any plans for an AOR type recruitment system? You wouldn't just be able to show up in jerusalem and within the year be able to recruit arquebusiers dressed in fashionable european clothes. Just a few thoughts
    i like those ideas since they are realistic. CA's big mistake was not doing anytihng about an aor system. it made the game look stupid to recruit european arquebusiers in america the turn after it was conquered. however, ive heard from other mods that implementing a aor system is very hard and time consuming.
    Yup... an AOR is a nice touch in any mod, but the problem isn't the difficulty in creating one - well... to be honest, planning it could be a bit of a headache, but implementing it is mostly a boring, not difficult, task.

What is a problem in creating an AOR is that we already have very few units for the factions and most of them are just the same (eg arquebusiers for all european factions, pikemen for all european factions, swordsmen for all european factions, etc... you get my point). This practically cancels out the effect of an AOR

I am making a new map that is going to include the Americas, Africa, Europe, and possibly east to India. I just started the other day, but I'll let you use it when its finished, or if your looking for a full time mapper, I'll gladly join your team.
    Last edited by Zkickin; April 13, 2007 at 07:10 PM.

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

You guys like to talk about me behind my back, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by Agronak gro-Malog
    No, your mapper (i.e Me) didnt leave and he actually asked you if you guys really needed a new map, and you said no it wasnt really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfrisco
    yeah, but cegs using it for pmtw. the mods are in similar time periods so if we were to use that map it might look like we were copying.
    You forget that as the mapmaker I have extra legislation to give permission for another mod to use it. If you want to use the same map, its fine by me.
    Under the patronage of vikrant
    Patron of Ramtha, Alletun, finneys13, SirPaladin and GrnEyedDvl

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Heh, it's good to see you're back. Or that you haven't even left. Whatever. However, Agronak is out of the team, and off the site as well, so we'll have to decide wether we want a new map or not, and if yes, what. I'm thinking about posting a poll about it.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard