Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Morrowind or Oblivion?

Default Morrowind or Oblivion?

I can't decide on what to get...

What are the main differences of the two, gameplay wise? Which one do you prefer I should try out first? Which one is more interesting to play?

I know Oblivion has better graphics but I've seen mods that can boost Morrowind's.

I don't know...
    Last edited by DariusEG; March 22, 2007 at 01:15 AM.

Mooncabbage's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Morrowind or Oblivion?

Oblivion > Morrowind in almost every aspect. If it hadn't we'd all have been disappointed. Really it all comes down to your system specs. Oblivion is horrible without a really good PC.
    Not actually on the moon.

Empire: Tactical Warfare Mod v1.0

Tabell's Avatar Decanus

Oblivion beats Morrowind in combat alone. Even magic is better in morrowind, not to say a far more interesting setting, better quests and more identifiable characters. Also theres loads of great mods, might I reccomend you track down Telespohoros' list o mods.
    In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes, and brocade
    Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise -
    An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
    With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes -
    At Blenheim and Ramillies, fops would confess
    They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I greatly prefer Morrowind. I spent four months playing the game for two hours each day and that was just to wander the countryside and complete the main quest. I haven't played Oblivion since last October, even though I so eagerly looked forward to it.

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

Morrowind has far more deeper and sophisticated storyline - it's addictable and vast amount of mods only makes it better and better. I spent 'ages' of playtime with my breton or nord characters exploring Vvardefell and nearby areas. Oblivion is unfortunatlly an example of possibly good game destroyed by compromise with Xbox. Audio/Video is excellent but gameplay suck horribly. Even keep coming mods can't do much about it - I'm still naive enough that could be changed further but doubts remain...Anyways I suggest to play Morrowind in first place.

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

I'd say Morrowind but Oblivion gets my vote just because of OOO 1.3 which makes it the game that it should be on release.

Hellmut34's Avatar Miles

Have to say Oblivion myself but i would say that morrowind has a darker atmosphere to it.

Both games are flawed yet brilliant at the same time.
    Morrowind has some great mods, but then some of the mods cause problems with the game engine.

However oblivion with oscuros oblivion overhaul 1.3 and the texture replacment mods is great.

What spec is your pc by the way??

A little maiming never hurt anybody

I can't wait till shivering isles comes out.
    It reminds me of Morrowind.

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by MoralMan View Post
    I can't wait till shivering isles comes out.
    It reminds me of Morrowind.
    Me too. I would love to have a little of the old Morrowind setting back...
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmut34 View Post
    Have to say Oblivion myself but i would say that morrowind has a darker atmosphere to it.

Both games are flawed yet brilliant at the same time.
    Morrowind has some great mods, but then some of the mods cause problems with the game engine.

However oblivion with oscuros oblivion overhaul 1.3 and the texture replacment mods is great.

What spec is your pc by the way??
    2core2 6600, 2gb ram supertalent, 7950gx2nvidia 1gb.

Meh...get them both. Morrowind's an amazing game, and gameplay-wise is superior to Oblivion, in my opinion. I wasted my life on Morrowind for -years-, and I still like to reinstall it every so often to play through for a bit.

Oblivion, on the other hand, seemed to get very boring rather quickly. I played it pretty much nonstop for about a month, and then got so bored I had to quit. I only recently picked it up and started playing it again.

I think the problem is that they concentrated more on the Graphics for Oblivion, and less on the story, gameplay, and quests. It just seems like there's so much more to do in Morrowind, and with mods it's an incredible game. *shrugs*

Anyway, Morrowind only costs like 20 bucks at most now for the game and both it's expansions, so I'd get that first, and then get Oblivion after you're done with it.

"I am what the Gods have made me!"

Get Morrowind first. It's pretty cheap even with the two expansions. If you don't have a great PC that has a Shader Model 3.0 video card, don't get Oblivion. Oblivion runs horribly on my 2004 PC while Morrowind runs like a charm.

Cyrodiil simply lacks depth. The few towns in the game look and feel the same. Morrowind may not have the Radiant AI of Oblivion, but it sure has a much more in-depth game world (Vvardenfell) and you don't need a monster of a PC with SLI to run it. The only flaw I could say with Morrowind is the combat system and the crash-prone engine.

Skyler's Avatar Soul Searching Sun Gun
    Netherlands, universal centre of sexy coalas in hotpants

Oblivion is good,but requires an insane computer to run it, a computer which I do not have.
    Last edited by Skyler; March 23, 2007 at 07:59 AM.

A SINnish member
    Under the patronage of Eclipse SG
    Cows bark, dolphins lie, it is all the same down here

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Personally I say Oblivion is better.
    I never really liked the nature in Morrowind even tho the nature in Bloodmoon was right up my alley.
    And since I like the more normal looking forests Oblivion is just a clear choice for me.
    Also the combat is better, ragdolls help and also horses !!!

PLAY MORROWIND FIRST!!!

I was totally addicted to Morrowind, playing hours per day for months on end. I was really looking forward to oblivion, and did play it for a few weeks. However, even though there are many things in oblivion that are very much improved compared to Morrowind, it just isn't fun. What use is a game that isn't entertaining?

Don't get me wrong, the first month or so was absolutely great. But after that you find that oblivion has really little to offer besides graphics. Worse, it has a poor user interface (blame XBox), and the game treats you as a child (using an arrow to point you excactly to where you should go, instead of forcing you to explore as in morrowind (blame XBox for this, too).

Many people consider oblivion's combat system better than that of morrowind. I don't.

In morrowind you press the attack button, and the game determines whether or not you hit, and how much damage you do. In oblivion you press the attack button, you'll always hit, and the game determines how much damage you do. That's it.

Oh, in Morrowind the game determines (based on your block skill) if you block an incoming attack. In oblivion you'll block whenever you press the block button (mods are available that do this for morrowind. Try "combat enhanced").

So in oblivion, you hold your block button, and press your attack button every time after you block an enemy attack. In morrowind, you just press your attack button. Voila, there's your much heralded difference between morrowind and oblivion

(I should also say that oblivion has power attacks, but these are useless. If you like these though, you should know that the morrowind mod "combat enhanced" add these to morrowind, and is vastly superior in every way to oblivion, adding stuff like combos, decapitations, dismemberment, etc.)

So play morrowind.

If you play oblivion first, you'll be dissapointed by morrowinds graphics (which were and still are great, especially with mods, but are simply not in the same league as oblivion's).

I'm sorry I ever loaded oblivion, because I find myself unable to go back to morrowinds graphics. That's way I'm playing Medieval now (or was, before the shield bug ruined my gaming experience. Ignorance is a bless), and not morrowind.

Cheers,

Collis

it is quite off topic but anyone of you've ever heard about a project developing by group of modders who want to re-make Morrowind in Oblivion visuals???, or it is just another crap news???

No, its real. The group you're looking for is called "Tamriel Rebuilt". Their goal is to recreate the entire continent of tamriel, rather than just one province as per oblivion. Originally a morrowind mod, they've moved on to the oblivion engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Collis Dux View Post
    No, its real. The group you're looking for is called "Tamriel Rebuilt". Their goal is to recreate the entire continent of tamriel, rather than just one province as per oblivion. Originally a morrowind mod, they've moved on to the oblivion engine.
    I checked up 'Tamriel Rebuilt' and it really does look very interesting and promising, I'll give it a try when it does come out.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

For my money Oblivion is the better game. While Morrowind has more variety and depth in many areas, Oblivion delivers a more emmersive experience with far better combat, AI, character interaction, graphics and sound. What was lost from Morrowind was more than made up for in those areas of Oblivion IMO.

There is no reason you can't paly and enjoy both.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

I really want to check out Morrowind. Oblivion was my intro into the Elder Scrolls series so I have no idea what happened before it. Crazy enough, I never even heard of The Elder Scrolls before Oblivion. Since it's an old game, I hope I can get Morrowind for a good price.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast