Thread: Whoa! Siege of sieges!

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Default Whoa! Siege of sieges!

I just had a two hour siege that would rock the socks off anyone. OK, Me, in charge of Acre. The enemy, the Fatimid Caliphate. Me with about 345 men, Fatimids with 1300 men. They have 4 Tabardariyya units(elite heavy assault troops). Ok, do they begin with light troops, no! Four Tabardariyya units coming at me. One at the gate, one on ladders two waiting. They breach and work my defense. 61 Sergeant Spearmen and 91 Dismounted Norman Knights. My general dies. Most everyone is slaughtered in the rout. To the second layer of defense, peasant archers and Italian Militia. Norman knights in reserve. Tabardariyya try to circumvent my defenses by using the outer walls to get into my inner walls. Hmmm! Smart! Hastily my troops beat this unit down. The next units to come about are the Saracen militia with another ram. Their tower now hit the outer walls in a different place, whoops, a fifth unit of Tabardariyya heavy assault troops. OK, I'm thinkin' its over. Another unit has brought the ladders inside. My men hold the wall. The enemy searches for other acces points but gives up using the walls again to gain entry. Smart, failure on first try, don't try again, find a new way. OK, ram hits gate, gate soon crahes battle on the ground and on the walls. My men retreat to the square. I am thinking; "Oh, everyone is just gonna come right on in now!" Nope, 1 unit of Tabardariyya finish me off and quick. I fought the battle intelligently and for once the AI did, too. Weird! I wonder if it has anything to do with rebalancing units using tornnight's validator tool. Maybe the AI actually reads its unit rosters like we do and determines which units to send. Devil's advocate, yes! I like it. I got a CTD right after the siege as this happened during the turn-over and was waiting for it to finish. I am impressed for once and reallyhope that CA takes its time getting rid of the bugs in this game. This is the most bugged game I have ever played. Universal Combat wasn't this bad. I get CTDs daily. I fix 'em. But I think this is what happens when a game has too many controls. Or maybe I am cracked in the head or on drugs or both:hmmm:. Anyway, this was worth mentioning.
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; March 22, 2007 at 12:29 AM.