Thread: Opening Gates w/ Spies

Default Opening Gates w/ Spies

Spies are vastly overpowered when used to open gates for an assault. Even a newborn spy, from a brothel in a city with no guild, sent to a rebel settlement, can have 40% or more chance to open the gates. Worse, even if he fails, the game recalculates the chance on the following turn, so you're almost gauranteed a successful result within a few turns. Considering the goals of TLR, this seems even more out of place than in vanilla or other mods.

1) Would really like to see the % chance changed to, say, 1% per skill lvl of the spy minus 1% per lvl of the settlement who's gate he's trying to open. I doubt you'll be able to do this, but IMO this would give a much more historical success rate.

2) If you can't change the success rate, would it be possible to add a trait line for spies that reduces their success rate for opening gates? Something like, a -x.95 chance of success trait that 100% of spies get at birth (thereby reducing that 40% chance to 2%). Could then have a line of traits in sequence, progressively more difficult to acquire, that have less of a reduction in success chance?

3) If you can't do a slick trait line to get the results desired, is it at least possible to give all spies at birth a trait/ancillary that completely destroys any chance that they'll ever open a gate?

As currently implemented, players have only 2 choices: use the spies and expand at a ridiculous rate thereby pre-empting AI faction expansion opportunities OR implement a House Rule to never use spies to open gates, utilizing self-control to make the game more challenging. If you could mod them to something more reasonable, players could actually use them and not get a ridiculous result.

Umbrisse's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Opening Gates w/ Spies

/agree

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Hmm. If I see a way to reduce the chance I will. I definately agree that it's too easy.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

This would very likely be in the campaign_db xml file under 'agents'. It appears not to have a section, unfortunatley.

Things are in all kinds of odd places. I still haven't been able to find the TradingMonoply listed in the Agent33 trigger for the Monopolist line. I've gone through all of the unpacked files looking for it, and it just isn't there. But the trigger works, so "TradingMonoply" has to be somewhere.

I agree about spies, as well. Way too easy to open gates. Frankly, I think their failure chance for lots of things should be increased, even just spying on an enemy army in the field.

Perhaps another suggestion could be to lower the chances of spies entering a city? As it is right now, it is also far too easy for them to pop inside and get a detailed look at the garrison.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Not when the enemy has spies and/or assassins. BTW, how do you change the cost of these units The AI will use them more if they do not cost so much.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

There is a file called descr_culture.txt. It has the costs.
    The AI tries really hard to fill its quota for agents no mater the price. Stupid.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Stainless Steel mod has: "Spy's chances to open gate decreased". King Kong found a way to do it, think he'd share?