Thread: CNP & LTC join forces

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default CNP & LTC join forces

I'm happy to annouce the collaboration of the Character Names Project (CNP) and LTC on upcoming LTC releases! In case you aren't aware of CNP's work yet, we are an international group of TWC members working to overhaul all of MTW2's character names lists so that they are as historically correct as possible. A secondary goal is to increase the number of names in each list, therefore creating a more diverse character (specifically family) tree in a MTW2 campaign. This is being done to address the problem of vanilla MTW2 having names lists which contained errors of all varieties, and the problem that they contained too few names.

At the moment the CNP mod is in a beta phase. I'd like to have willing LTC fans help beta test the CNP files with their next campaign. Potential bugs are confined to a few "nameless" characters, and nothing more (that we are aware of). Installation is a snap, involving only two files.

So, get ahead of the game, and help us in the final testing of the CNP mod v 1.0 in preparation for its coming integration with LTC. The following factions have completely new character names:

HRE, England, France, Venice, Sicily, Spain, Portugal, Hungary. In the next few weeks I'll be adding Byzantines, Papal States, Poland, Denmark, so keep an eye out for them.

Please leave comments, suggestions or bug reports in this thread or on the CNP forum.

Many thanks, and enjoy!

deRougemont (CNP mod leader)

See the CNP Agenda
    Visit the CNP forum
    Download the CNP mod files v 1.0 (beta)
    Report bugs!
    Last edited by Lusted; March 19, 2007 at 04:08 PM.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: CNP & LTC join forces

Good news man. Altough I will end up wrapping my tongue around my teeth trying to pronunce some of those names.

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Here's some teaser pics...

1. The starting Pope Gregory sports his new regnal name, "Pope Gregorius IX"

2. After being properly de-anglicized "Dietrich von Saxony" becomes "Heinrich von Sachsen".

2. Hungarian King "Laszlo" gets his accents right, and adopts a fellow with a nice new name!

Nice, but aren't the numbers in the name? In such case you could end up with two guys named "Bob IV"?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Alec View Post
    Nice, but aren't the numbers in the name? In such case you could end up with two guys named "Bob IV"?
    This is a good question; and points out one of the several limitations we have in modding names. In this case "Gregory IX" is seen by the program as a first name [I included 66 first names, all from the actual Popes of this period]. Thus, after each conclave you have 1/66 of a chance at getting that same name for the next Pope. I personally think it is better to take that small chance rather than having %100 percent of the Popes' names incorrect. Afterall, all of the vanilla names for Popes were generic Italian names and thus historically bogus.

The other problem with my current method for the Papal States is that other Papal States characters like merchants and generals will receive these "Pope names". But, since this is a non-playable faction and the Pope is such a central figure in the game, I've kept it my way... so far.
    Last edited by deRougemont; March 20, 2007 at 02:07 AM.

It's not like the pope does anything other then pope around anyway.

But a one in 66 is an OK chance to take.

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Great!

Personally, I'd like to see some more Saxon names in with the lower-class English characters.

I'll be watching the Danish names closely as well - can't wait to see what you've come up with there :-)

(Some recommended sources:
    The Anglo-Saxon Heritage in Middle English Personal Names: East Anglia 1100-1399. Seltén, B. Lund: C.W.K Gleerups, 1972.
    Olddanske Personnavne. Nielsen, O. Kjøbenhavn: Jørgensen & Co., 1883.
    Personnavne. Nordisk Kultur VII. ed. Janzén, Assar. Stockholm: Bonniers Boktryckeri, 1947.
    Nordische Personennamen in England in alt- und frühmittel-englischer Zeit. (Studien zur englischen Philologie XXXVII). Björkman, E. Halle: Max Niemeyer Verlag, 1910.
    Danske Personnavne. (Gads Fagleksikon). Hornby, R. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1978. ISBN: 87-12-23102-9.
    The Continental Germanic Personal Names in England in Old and Middle English Times. Forssner, T. Uppsala: K.W. Appelbergs Boktryckeri, 1916
    The Pre-Conquest Personal Names of the Domesday Book. Feilitzen, O. von. (Nomina Germanica Arkiv för Germansk Namnforskning utgivet av Jöran Sahlgren 3.). Uppsala: Almqvist och Wiksell, 1937.)

@Germanicus75

The Danish names are done, and they are super (drawn up by two Scandanavian TWC members). It's one of the largest lists we've created. I'll be adding them into the beta for testers tonight.

As for Saxon names for the English, you won't find any. Since our focus was to give accurate names for the English nobility, Saxon names would have hindered our objective. Instead you will see a heavy French influence in the English names reflecting the Norman origins of the English nobility post-Hastings.

I agree that it would have been nice to have some Saxon names for the "lesser" characters in England, but the files we work with do not distinguish between lower and upper classes. The names are drawn from one list regardless of who the characters are. Hence our decision to focus on the nobility and thus a more French flavor for the English names list.

What about Saxon names for all English adoption candidates?

@smitty

Same as above. There is only one list of names. Every character from heir to spy gets his name (randomly) from it, regardless of who he is.

Could you make Captain's names Saxon?
    Keep this site happy & report flamming and abusive posts ASAP
    Everytime I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain -Homer (Simpson)
    Under the Honoured Patronage of the Divus Sulla. Please visit The Living Past Forum
    Patron of the Civitates Ozymandias & Dan_Grr

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

No its one list of character names for all characters - generals, captains, family members, merchants, priests, spys etc.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

For those interested, a revised Danish character names list has been added to the Beta download here. At the moment we are finishing up a new Byzantine list (being refined by our Greek man-on-the-job, Giorgos - Zahos, with the Scots (developed by finneys13) and a twice improved Sicilian list (developed by Black Francis and being refined by SicilianVespers) also on the way.
    Last edited by deRougemont; March 23, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Those teaser pics look great! Thanks for improving LTC!

Update:

1.) Added Regnal names to Papal States
    2.) Sicilian names have been revised again. They have been italicized, to reflect the changes that occurred to Norman-Sicilian names after one generation in Sicily.
    3.) New Danish names added (courtesy of Atterdag and Vindahl)
    4.) A great new list of Byzantine names will be added within the next couple of days (courtesy of Giorgos - Zahos).
    Last edited by deRougemont; April 09, 2007 at 04:44 PM.