Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: FACTION: The Kypchak Confederacy

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: FACTION: The Kypchaks

WTF? I go to sleep after discussing theoretical Kypchak rosters with AD and Ahiga, then I wake up and half the faction is done?

There's only one thing I can say to that: NIIICE! I LIKE!

Yup, these guys won't be boring at all. In fact... I have a soft spot for nomadic factions and the idea of resettling somewhere else I've always liked (i'm one of the few peoples that liked BI). Hopefully tweaking the Horde ability will make this faction even more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    From whats been discussed, the kypchaks are more of a filler faction to counter-balance the georgians and that theres such limited historic info available. Would be nice to give them some of the special HA abilities that the seljuks have though, like volley fire maybe?
    Volley fire wouldn't really work. It's a middle eastern practice, rather than a steppe/central asian one, and only Ghulams or Middle Eastern mounted archers (like faris Archers, but I do not believe they will get it) should get it. However, that basic idea of giving them something 'new' is possible. We've thought about them getting the close bow ability too...but I feel a little like it's more of a Turkish practice than steppe.

Perhaps they will get the largest quivers of any HA (along with the Mongols), meaning your horse archers could potentially keep firing for as long as the battle demands. Whereas Turkish/native horse archers of our main factions have a decent quiver, but not enough to perpetually fire. Their archery is to weaken the foe before engaging in melee, the Kypchaks is to always fire. As Alpha Mentioned though, their roster is certainly not a carbon copy of the Seljuks - I'd say that the Kypchaks will have a much more steadily available melee horsemen selection than the Seljuks (Who will get only Azeri cavalry and the superheavy ghulams, possibly only as their generals). It may be that the Kypchaks hearken back to the old steppe factions of RTW mods, who combined archery with strong melee.

Alpha: really like the nomads. They look thoroughly Cuman or Russian Steppe-y, very rugged and awesome.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Dammit, I regret voting for the Seljuks in the "Which faction will you play" thread.

I too have a soft spot for nomads and if they're going to be similar to the Mongols like you say, well then that's the next best thing for me.

An extra nomad for variation.

"I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Very cool outfit. :original:

I forgot another thing that could be unique about the Kypchaks. Whereas only the lower tiers of Turks in the Seljuks would be recruitable in a wide AOR (Given how far flung turkomans were, but also that the professional soldiery of the Turks would settle down into cities), the Kypchaks might have their entire roster have that wide 'Pasture AOR.'

What I mean by that is that side by side, this could be the way that recruitment works for these two horse-archer based factions:

Seljuks

Light Turkomans anywhere there were Turkish Nomads (Anatolia, Caucasus, Iran, Central Asia, northern Syria)
    Medium Turkomans anywhere Turkish, or Seljuk Turkish, dominion was strong (Iran, eastern Anatolia, maybe the Caucasus too)
    Heavy Turkomans only in strongly Seljuk Turkish Domains (Iran and maybe a bit into Central Asia or the Caucasus).

Kypchaks

Turkoman Auxilaries, Nomads, Nobles, and Khan's guard perhaps anywhere that steppe nomads could find pasture: Anatolia, Caucasus, Iran, Northern Syria, Central Asia, Steppe. This would be emphasized in their Horde-ability, meaning as a Kypchak player you can settle just about anywhere and have full access to your roster.

Kypchak nomad lancers

"I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

Sexxeh. Nuff said.

Love how the swords look on them!

Sweet, can't wait to send out some raids on neighbouring factions

@mirage: Wait, holy crap... these guys will have the horde ability like the Mongols/Timurids? If that's the case, I sure can't wait to go around and sack everything in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    WTF? I go to sleep after discussing theoretical Kypchak rosters with AD and Ahiga, then I wake up and half the faction is done?

There's only one thing I can say to that: NIIICE! I LIKE!

Yup, these guys won't be boring at all. In fact... I have a soft spot for nomadic factions and the idea of resettling somewhere else I've always liked (i'm one of the few peoples that liked BI). Hopefully tweaking the Horde ability will make this faction even more fun.
    HRUMPH! *I* love BI, . Now go back to sleep so the rest of the faction can be finished
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

AD you are my god. You turn out amazing skins so quickly. As a fledgling skinner/modeller my main aim is to at least come close to equaling you. Keep up the amazing work. There are some verticies that could do with welding on some of those models, apart from that they're astounding +rep.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    Very cool outfit. :original:
    Kypchaks

Turkoman Auxilaries, Nomads, Nobles, and Khan's guard perhaps anywhere that steppe nomads could find pasture: Anatolia, Caucasus, Iran, Northern Syria, Central Asia, Steppe. This would be emphasized in their Horde-ability, meaning as a Kypchak player you can settle just about anywhere and have full access to your roster.
    This would be an excellent gameplay feature! It would really make the Kypchaqs unique! A very good draw and an excellent perk for the Kypchaq Khan.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by IrAr View Post
    This would be an excellent gameplay feature! It would really make the Kypchaqs unique! A very good draw and an excellent perk for the Kypchaq Khan.
    Agreed, I totally missed Ahiga's idea there.

You truly are a gameplay mechanic genius Ahiga

The kypchaks only decent spearmen, Kypchak dismounted nomad lancers

This is like visual morphine; the skins just look awsome and look exactly right for the kypchaks. Stunning.

Kypchak nobles

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Sweet!(In plys(sp?) a cartman voice)
    Wait are those Lancers hold the spear with two hands, Sweeet!(In plys a Napoleon voice)
    Last edited by Yoda Twin; May 27, 2007 at 02:50 AM.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Afraid they don't. But they do couch it

New shields are coming along.