Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38637879808182838485868788
Results 1,741 to 1,757 of 1757

Thread: [OLD DEV THREAD] FACTION: The Eastern Roman Empire

Default Re: FACTION: The Eastern Roman Empire

are varangians recruited in cities then?
    True bread is for True Romans

That is probably just from a castle not entirely upgraded, as the Pelekyphoroi Axemen (The Elite Varangians) are recruited from them at the Armoury stage of the barracks (Tier 5). Regular Varangians are mercenaries.
    Last edited by Ahiga; December 25, 2007 at 08:10 AM.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

fantastic units !!!!! now, Byzantium is my one if them favor faction with Georgia, Armenia and KoJ....

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

wooow!those units are realy cool!nice pict's of a byzantine campaign

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

**Retired**

All unit cards are done using my method of loading and rendering of all units including the mounted units after animations is applied to them. PM me if you want to know how exactly.

they follow the unit pose as standardized by AD, though.
    Last edited by Strelac; December 25, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Yet another +rep from me, Strelac.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tobolight View Post
    Although the ERE roster is perfect in every way. I think that the non-cataphract mounts are a little to similar. I think that they could all use the removal of the purple matt and the final one would look great with some form of barding just for diversity. I know the roster is set in stone as of now but hopefully infuture versions this could be possible.

Edit: Are the peltasti missing a texture on their shield and javelin?
    The disgusting purple mats have been changed. Strelac is looking into the peltastai issue.

Fenix_120's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    The disgusting purple mats have been changed. Strelac is looking into the peltastai issue.

Mirage has spoken, and it is so.

Word to your mom.

The Eastern Roman archers have compound bows,so do they have more missile damage and better bows then most other regular bows?

And if you improve armour by building blacksmiths etc will you see a change in armour on the battlefield?

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

We've not gone with blacksmith upgrades. It won't be possible either to upgrade the stats or to upgrade the appearance. The latter is because we had a choice of lots of shared units that upgrade or lots of unique ones that don't, and it was an obvious decision.

The former is because we never really thought about it, and also as I heard rumors that the upgrades have a lot of nuances to them - an upgrade of leather to mail isn't necessarily going to mean its just +1 armor, but it may involve much more than that...how much is uncertain, and that uncertainty to balance wasn't something we were interested in.

Also regarding the Composite bow - The majority of factions used it. All the Muslims did, the Armenians & georgians & Cumans did, Jerusalem's turkopoles would have. Only Makuria & the Rajputs used non-composite bows - the Longbow. As of yet there's not a real difference between the two

ok thanks for the info ahiga!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"

does broken crescent actually work with AOR? if so like varangians should be limited to just the constantinople region right? and how will the various native troops be incorporated? since the map doesn't include the most western provinces of the map, will the byzantines have acces to norman, serbian, pecheneg, etc troops? since Alexius I Comnenus they relied heavy on these troops. their native armies were destroyed in the norman wars with rober guiscard so they generally used foreign soldiers. normans were their favourite troops, so they will be recruitable i hope? and as mercs or recruitable? if as merc their should be many many many for thats how it was
    Patronised by Voltaire le Philosophe

Therefore One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful. War is of vital importance to the state and should not be engaged carelessly... - Sun Tzu

Orochimaru & Aizen you must Die!! Bankai Dattebayo!!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Reqruiting northmen in the empire!!

The Roman empire did not hired mercenaries just in Constantinople...
    Afcourse the most famous mercenary facilities were the etairiai.
    But any general as "local" ruler could hire mercenaries...Now days historians know fir sure that there were many cities that had etairiai bases...It is known that Haraald Haadrada didn't join the varangians in the empire's capital but in Fillipoupolis(in today central bulgaria)...Other cities through times that were reqruiting bases for northen warriors were Dyrachion,Bari,Thessalonike and afcource Cherson..
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Reqruiting northmen in the empire!!

The Roman empire did not hired mercenaries just in Constantinople...
    Afcourse the most famous mercenary facilities were the etairiai.
    But any general as "local" ruler could hire mercenaries...Now days historians know fir sure that there were many cities that had etairiai bases...It is known that Haraald Haadrada didn't join the varangians in the empire's capital but in Fillipoupolis(in today central bulgaria)...Other cities through times that were reqruiting bases for northen warriors were Dyrachion,Bari,Thessalonike and afcource Cherson..
    That is quite right. There are also records of Northmen being recruited as far as Trapezous (Trebizon), thus, it stands to reason that they should be recruitable wherever ERE rules, so long as the Imperial funds allow.
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gaius valerius View Post
    does broken crescent actually work with AOR? if so like varangians should be limited to just the constantinople region right? and how will the various native troops be incorporated? since the map doesn't include the most western provinces of the map, will the byzantines have acces to norman, serbian, pecheneg, etc troops? since Alexius I Comnenus they relied heavy on these troops. their native armies were destroyed in the norman wars with rober guiscard so they generally used foreign soldiers. normans were their favourite troops, so they will be recruitable i hope? and as mercs or recruitable? if as merc their should be many many many for thats how it was
    Slavs/Varangians
    Yes, every faction and every unit has its own AOR "range". Varangians will be part of the native roster, so you can recruit them across your AOR range. You can recruit a different varangian merc exclusive to around Constantinople. Also there are "Rus' Mercenaries" which are basically medium slavic swordsmen that are also available to Kypchaks.

European Mercs
    Latin Knights are already recruitable by orthodox christian factions throughout the western half of the map. Also the "Kavallaroi" units in the ERE native roster represents descendents of normans and such. Naturally there will be a nice yield of latin knights at Constantinople itself. Also I will set ports on the western half of the map to allow for the recruitment of Italian Crossbowmen and infantry for Byz and Armenia.

"Pechenegs" or Horse Archers
    While we have no units that go by that name, there is a high yield of Cuman tribal HAs and Jav cav around constantinople and north in Bulgaria and Rus lands. Also there are Armenian "Auxilia" cav around eastern anatolia that are basically excellent medium HAs that you will come to value very much.

I hope that was a comprehensive answer.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Oooh! Sounds in-depth! Great stuff, and if I may speak for others, quite the comprehensive answer.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Indefinitely Banned

*Sheds tears* Good bye gynormous thread...

Take it to the new thread people:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137932
    Last edited by Miraj; December 27, 2007 at 03:04 AM.