Large Town: Bukhara
    Large Town: Khiva

UNITS

Strengths:
    - Superheavy Cavalry
    - Horse-armored Horse Archers
    - Heavy cavalry

Weaknesses
    - Poor Spears compared to two of it's neighbors (Abbasids/Ghaznavids)
    - Lack of abundant and inexpensive light infantry (Ghorids can swamp them)
    - Somewhat Weak Light cavalry Force

Code:
    Barracks

Barracks level 1 - Daylami tribal spearmen (Khorasani spearmen)

Barracks level 2 - Persian spearmen

Barracks level 3 - Daylami infantry

Barracks level 4 - Tajik swordsmen

Barracks level 5 - Daylami heavy infantry

Archery Range

Archery Range 1 - Turkoman Light Foot Archers

Archery Range 2 - Kara-Khitai Foot Archers

Archery Range 3 - Persian Archers

Stables

Stables 1 - Turkomans RB/CB

Stables 2 - Kara-Khitai Horse Archers

Stables 3 - Persian Lancers

Stables 4 - Khurasani Heavy Cavalry

Stables 5 - Khwarezmian Guard
    New Units

Qangli Foot:

Kypchak Horse Archers:

SYMBOL AND BANNERS

NAMES

Last edited by Miraj; November 14, 2007 at 03:30 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: FACTION: The Shahdom of Khwarezmia

Here's some general info for this faction that many of you are not so familiar with.

Read up so that you can understand the importance of this faction and why their in this mod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khwarezmid_Empire

Unit suggestion: Daylami

Recruitable: Not only the shahdom of Khwarezmia, but also the Abbassid Caliphate, the Seljuk Turks, the Ghaznavids, Timurids, and mercenaries found throughout the muslim world.

Units:

Daylami Tribesmen - Armed with spear and (If possible) javelin, these are the poorest and most plentiful of Daylami in AOR recruitment, but not existent in mercenary pools. Clad in cloth upgradeable to leather or padded cloth, their stats would be a bit higher than militia spearmen, but more useful in ambushing or skirmishing than standing in a battle line. Brightly painted shields, look at the link (1) for examples. Mesh would require a oval-ish shield, I think the Italian militias would work.

Daylami Infantry - The bread and butter Daylami unit armed with javelin, circular shield and axe, found in mercenary pools as well as AOR. Clad in either regular or thicker (padded) cloth, with upgrades into light and heavy mail. I haven't found any specific images for these daylami, but they also need brightly painted shields. Meshes would best start off being viking raiders or the scottish axe unit (So long as you can make their hair and skin a bit darker, and maybe alter the outfit), and have a final upgrade form with the dismounted druchina. Shield Wall

Daylami Archers - Never really gave this much thought. Bows are described as kind of secondary to the daylami, so I can't say it would need to be a very strong archer unit. I like the idea of something of a guerilla archer unit instead of a thoroughbred bowman. By this I mean the archer unit would be weaker in his bow and arrow than other archers, but stronger in melee, using a mesh where they can pull out a shield and sword (or axe). Appearance should start in cloth or padded cloth and -maybe- upgrade to mail, but I don't know about that.

Heavy Daylami - The Elite of the Daylami, true heavy infantry who with shield wall and javelin could seem almost an oriental legionary. These would be limited in who can recruit them as an AOR. I would say the Abbassids, Khwarezmeanids and maybe the Seljuks. Everyone else can recruit them only as a limited mercenary in a few places (Bagdhad, egypt, the major cities of Central asia).

Starts with Druchina Mesh, upgrades to have mail and lamellar (Boyar sons) and maybe mail and plate (No idea which unit can offer this)? This is all speculation, since this unit would represent the daylami who can afford heavier armor and are basically 'elites'. I'd like to still give them an axe but perhaps they could get a sword instead.

*Possibly* "Assault Daylami" - This was the opinion that 'battle axes' in the Osprey information meant a large, two handed axe. I'm iffy about this one except that it would be a nice way of injecting some armor-piercing polearms into the near east.

(1) These troops from the mountains of northern Iran fought as mercenaries for various armies, including the Sassanids, Arab Caliphates and Ghaznavids. - http://theminiaturespage.com/news/518507/ - Features some good examples of Daylami attire, how their shields are painted, and how their levy should look.

- Another example of daylami clothing.
    Last edited by Ahiga; March 20, 2007 at 10:08 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

I like the daylami idea but it needs to be cut down a bit. They can't be all in the same factions roster. I think the Daylami Tribesmen should be ditched, while the daylami infantry can be a merc recruitable in major centres. The daylami heavy infantry should be a major heavy unit that will be recruitable by the Khwarezmia and Ghazni from their North and NorthEast Iran/Afghanistan. No other factions should get access to the Daylami Heavy Infantry. They will be a heavily armoured axemen with shields and (similar to druzhina or boyar sons) while hte daylami infantry will have javelins, sheilds and axes and be lighter and faster.

What do you think?

Here's my idea for the "The Shahdom of Khwarezmia" faction units:

- Turkoman Horse Archers
    Light, fast and standard missile attack, terrible in melee. This unit will be available to the Seljuks and Ghazni too. (See the horse archer in the pic below)
    - Turkoman Cavalry
    Light, fast melee cavalry - slightly better in fight than their bow armed counterparts. Mainly for chasing horse archers, routers and archers. This unit will be available to the Seljuks and Ghazni too.

- Iranian Ghulams
    Ghulam slave warriors native or settled in Persia. Same as other Ghulams but with different skin.

- Persian Lancers
    Native Persian cavalry that provide a powerful and deadly charge.
    http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/130/persiansgz3.jpg
    - Khwarezmian Heavy Cavalry
    A homage to the legendary historical cav and also their Parthian predecessors. The best cavalry of the game. Fully armour cataphracts. Reskin of the existing merc unit but better stats. The Khawrezm get this unit earlier and cheaper.

- Khorasan Spearmen
    Basically like the reskinned Saracen spearmen with an Persianized look. Standard.
    - Heavy Persian Spearmen
    Well armed and skilled Persian soldiers fighting as heavy spears. Excellent for holding defensive lines and against cavalry.
    http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/130/persiansgz3.jpg
    - Tajik Swordsmen
    Medium infantry, similar to urban militias. Okay for a melee but will get beaten by heavier foes or a decent charge. Not disimilar to the function of sword and buckler men, just much weaker stats.
    -Daylami Heavy Infantry
    Powerful axe and sheild wielding warriors from Northern Iran. Good defense, good attack. Expensive and recruitable at only highest levels. (the guy on the left.. note that North Iranian = Daylam, so thats probably just daylami heavy inf)

-Afghan Javelinmen
    Same reskinned version of existing merc unit.
    -Iranian Archers
    Standard Archers. Reskin of Turkish Archers.

Critiques and ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Miraj; March 21, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

That's fine by me. I bulked up the daylami rosters since I'm a fan of extra-large unit rosters (RTR/EB sized) but each faction will be getting aor and there's always the chance to add on, but not enough time to do everything we could at the start.

I'd probably throw in some Militias though. Given that the Khwarezmianeids may hold onto some of the rich central asian towns, I get the impression that militias should be rather plentiful. I'll try and do some looking up to see if this is true.

As for the Daylami, I suppose that's correct since Daylam wasn't really so much a part of any kingdom as their troops were famous as mercenaries. Better we have the basic Daylami (The axe and shield with cloth upgradable to mail) be a unit found as mercenaries where they were hired and Transoxania (I'm a bit iffy about the Ghaznavids getting them for some reason. I would however add in an archer-melee daylami and possibly a more skirmisher-daylami as mercenaries. (The latter using the Kurdish Javelinmen mesh, the former using any odd archer mesh).

This is a fine list but I would hope to try and buff it up in the future if we get the time. Oh, I would give them a Cataphract archer unit though. Given the one in the picture has a bow.
    Last edited by Ahiga; March 21, 2007 at 11:42 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    That's fine by me. I bulked up the daylami rosters since I'm a fan of extra-large unit rosters (RTR/EB sized) but each faction will be getting aor and there's always the chance to add on, but not enough time to do everything we could at the start.

I'd probably throw in some Militias though. Given that the Khwarezmianeids may hold onto some of the rich central asian towns, I get the impression that militias should be rather plentiful. I'll try and do some looking up to see if this is true.

As for the Daylami, I suppose that's correct since Daylam wasn't really so much a part of any kingdom as their troops were famous as mercenaries. Better we have the basic Daylami (The axe and shield with cloth upgradable to mail) be a unit found as mercenaries where they were hired and Transoxania (I'm a bit iffy about the Ghaznavids getting them for some reason. I would however add in an archer-melee daylami and possibly a more skirmisher-daylami as mercenaries. (The latter using the Kurdish Javelinmen mesh, the former using any odd archer mesh).

This is a fine list but I would hope to try and buff it up in the future if we get the time. Oh, I would give them a Cataphract archer unit though. Given the one in the picture has a bow.
    Good point about the Militias. We will need to add some of those too. I'm just starting with a basic list here for now. We will add more units and diversity all depending upon the difficulty, resources and time. But this list is definitely not final. I am starting to agree with expanding the Daylami line too, so the tribesmen would be fine.

A cataphract archer sounds cool too. A little Parthian/Sassanid nostalgia their.

Plus I found this (the site is in the references/illustrations thread):

This led me to make a change on my list. I'm just gonna make the Iranian ghulams like the rest of the ghulams (light/medium cav). And instead add "Persian Lancers" as a sort of super charge unit and scale down the charge on the Khwarezmian cav.

Also added "Heavy Persian Spearmen" recruitable by cities.
    Last edited by Miraj; March 21, 2007 at 05:19 PM.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Hello everyone,I also intend to feature the Khwarizmi in Clouds Across Europe mod.I like to warn you about a certain problem about this faction.Last night I spent a lot of time searching for the Khwarizmian flag.
    The problem with this flag is it's 100 percent black and that's that.No symbols on it,nothing just wanted to warn you guys about it.Maybe you'll need to create something comes out of your mind.
    Excellent work on Jerusalem by the way,Congratulations.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrelial View Post
    Hello everyone,I also intend to feature the Khwarizmi in Clouds Across Europe mod.I like to warn you about a certain problem about this faction.Last night I spent a lot of time searching for the Khwarizmian flag.
    The problem with this flag is it's 100 percent black and that's that.No symbols on it,nothing just wanted to warn you guys about it.Maybe you'll need to create something comes out of your mind.
    Excellent work on Jerusalem by the way,Congratulations.
    Thanks for the info. We intend to allow some ahistorical creativity with faction symbols. After all each "faction" is in reality a representation of a certain region that gave birth to many dynasties. We will probably incorporate the Persian "Lion and Sun" emblem in the Khwarezm's flag to represent their Persian character.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Thanks for the info. We intend to allow some ahistorical creativity with faction symbols. After all each "faction" is in reality a representation of a certain region that gave birth to many dynasties. We will probably incorporate the Persian "Lion and Sun" emblem in the Khwarezm's flag to represent their Persian character.
    That's a good idea.So Mirage if you intend to use the Lion and Sun over the black flag.I intend to use the Arabic Golden words over the black flag so that the symbols will be different in both our mods,the community will have a chance of option.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Indefinitely Banned

Looks like Zeph's already beat us to the lands of Khwarezm:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90756

where did u find this map or warriors they look horrible d
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

the map is not about 1175 we are concerned

and

warriors like more western knights

don't u think so

i think yes they are .

respect
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Some more info I found for reference:

The Khwarezm-Shâh Empire
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Category: Islamic Civilizations

Author: Ihsan

The Founding

The origins of the Imperial Khwarezmshah family goes back to Anushtegin, who was a Turkish-origined palace officer in the Seljuk court. Anushtegin's son Qudbaddin Mohammed was appointed as the governor of the Khwarzem province by the Seljuk Sultan Berqyaruq in the year 1098. During his governorship, he assured his family's place in the region and after his death in 1128, his son Atsiz was appointed as the new governor by the Seljuk Sultan Sanjar.
    Atsiz was a ruthless ruler; he laid heavy taxes on the people and began capturing strategic positions of the region. Sanjar organized three campaigns on Atsiz, and even tough Atsiz's forces were defeated, Sanjar let him to govern the region, because a new danger was coming from the Steppes: the Kara-Khitai. After Sanjar's army was crushed by these nomadic people at the Battle of Qatwan in 1141, Atsiz declared his independece but he submitted the Seljuk protectorate after Sanjar escaped from the rebel Oghuz. After Atsiz died in 1156, he was succeded by his son Il-Arslan.

Rise to Power

After Sanjar's death in 1157, Il-Arslan proclaimed his independence, defeated the Kara-Khitai and the Qarakhanids and captured important Transoxian towns like Bukhara and Samarkand. He died in 1172 and his son Alaeddin Takish became the new Khwarezm Shah.
    Alaeddin Takish was a brilliant ruler and a good general. He defeated the Kara-Khitai and brought the Kipchaks under Khwarezmshah rule. He invaded Khorasan in 1183 and destroyed the Iraqi Seljuks in 1194. He spent his last years in fighting with the Assassins and captured the fort of Arslan-Gusha, one of their most important strongholds. He died in 1200 and his son Alaeddin Mohammed sat on the Khwarzemshah throne.
    The early years of Alaeddin Mohammed's reign were spent for the struggle against the other Khwarezmshah princes. In 1214, he destroyed the Kara-Khitai Empire and the Gurid Sultanate of India. He also expanded the borders of the empire up to the Persian Gulf. Another campaign he was planning was the Invasion of China; altough China was already invaded by the Mongols

The Khwarezm-Shah Empire

Collapse of the Empire

Jalal al Din

Now, there was a new power rising in the East: the Mongols commanded by Genghis Khan. In order to learn more about the power of the Mongols, Alaeddin Mohammed sent an envoy to Karakurum, the Mongol capital, and signed a treaty with him. After this, Genghis Khan sent a caravan to Otrar, but the Mongol merchants were massacred by Inaljik, the governor of that town, who also humiliated the Mongol emissaries. As a result, Genghis Khan invaded Transoxiana with his army. Even tough the Mongol army was outnumbered, Alaeddin Mohammed divided his army into small garrisons, a mistake which allowed Genghis Khan to capture important cities like Bukhara, Samarkand, Jend, Khokand and Urgench easily. Alaeddin Mohammed fled to a small Caspian island and died there in 1220.
    Jalal-Al-Din Khwarezmshah became the new shah but his forces were defeated at the Battle of River Indus. He fled to Azerbaijan, attacked Rum Seljuk towns in Eastern Anatolia and captured Ahlat, an important Seljuk town. He was defeated by the Rum Seljuk Sultan Alaeddin Qaykubad I at the Battle of Yassi Chemen in 1230, and he was murdered in 1231. With his death, the Khwarzemshah Empire came to an end.

Emperors

Qudbaddin Mohammed (1098 - 1128)
    Atsiz (1128 - 1156)
    Il-Arslan (1156 - 1172)
    Sultanshah (1172 - 1193)
    Alaeddin Takish (1172 - 1200)
    Alaeddin Mohammed (1200 - 1220)
    Jalal-Al-Din Khwarezmshah (1220 - 1231)

Chronology
    1098: Qudbaddin Mohammed appointed governor of Khwarezm
    1141: Atsiz proclaimed his independence but submitted to the Seljuk rule soon
    1157: Il-Arslan proclaimed his independence
    1183: Alaeddin Takish invaded Khorasan
    1194: Alaeddin Takish destroyed the Iraqi Seljuks
    1214: Alaeddin Mohammed destroyed the Kara-Khitai Empire and the Gurid Sultanate
    1218: Alaeddin Mohammed signed a treaty with Genghis Khan
    1220: Mongol merchants are massacred in Otrar; Mongol emissaries executed in Urgench; Genghis Khan's invasion of Transoxiana and Khorasan; death of Alaeddin Mohammed
    1221: Battle of River Indus
    1230: Jalal-Al-Din Khwarezmshah captured Ahlat; his forces are defeated at the Battle of Yassi Chemen
    1231: Jalal-Al-Din Khwarzmshah murdered; the Khwarezmshah Empire collapsed.

Khwarezm

Sources
    open directory project
    Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
    Submit a site - Become an editor
    WordNet Ž 1.7.1, Š 2006 Princeton University
    Wikipedia. Licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.

Are you an expert in this subject? Join the discussion and share your knowledge at Wikipedia.org. Encyclopedia Khwarezm (Uzbek: Xorazm, Russian: Хорезм Khorezm, Persian: خوارزم Khwārazm, Arabic: خوارزم Khwārizm) was a state centred on the Amu Darya river delta of the former Aral Sea, in modern Uzbekistan, extending across the Ust-Urt plateau and possibly as far west as the eastern shores of the northern Caspian Sea. To the south it bordered Khorasan, to the north the kingdom of Alans, to the southeast Kangju and Sogdian Transoxiana, and on the northeast with the Huns of Transiaxartesia. Its capitals were Urgench and, from the 17th century on, Khiva when Khwarezmia became known as the Khanate of Khiva. Khwarezm has been known also as Khwarezmia, Khwarizm, Khwarazm, Khorezm, Khoresm, Khorasam, Chorezm, or Chorasmia.

Contents [show]
    1 Etymology
    2 Early history
    3 Classical times
    4 Middle ages
    5 Modern Age
    6 Notables of Khwarazm
    7 References
    8 See also
    9 External links

Etymology
    The Arab geographer Yaqut al-Hamawi in his Mu'jem al-baladan wrote that the name "Khwarazm" is a compound name of "Khwar" (خور), and "-razm" (زم), referring to the abundance of cooked fish meat as a main diet of the peoples of this area. (V2, p395)

C.E. Bosworth however, believes the name to be made up of (خور) meaning "the sun" and (زم) meaning "Earth", designating "the land from which the sun rises from".(Bosworth, p1061)

The name also appears in Achaemenid inscriptions as "Huvarazmish", and declared to be part of the Persian Empire. It remained part of Persia through-out many invasions, until in 1878 the invading Russians made the region part of Russia.

Many scholars believe Khwarazm to be what ancient Avestic texts refer to as "Ariyaneh Waeje" or "Iran vij".(Farahvashi, p8) These sources claim that Ourgandj, which was the capital of ancient Khwarazm for many years, was actually "Ourva": the eighth land of Ahura Mazda mentioned in the Pahlavi text of Vendidad.(Javan, p24) However, Michael Witzel, a researcher in early Indo-European history, believes that "Iran vig" was located in what is now Afghanistan [1], the northern areas of which were a part of Ancient Khwarezm and Greater Khorasan.

Early history
    According to Ancient Khorezm (Moscow 1948), written by the head of the Soviet archaeological-ethnographic expedition of 1945 - 1948, Sergei Pavlovich Tolstov (1907-1976), the first inhabitants of the area were Hurrians from the area of Transcaucasian Iberia, and he explains the etymology of "Chorezm" as Hurri-Land. The first two names of rulers we have for the area are Sijavus c.1300 BC (synonymous with Afrasiab c.1100 BC) and Aurvat-Aspa, usually placed in the late 600s BC though dating is very difficult. Nonetheless, in the very early part of its history, the inhabitants of the area were from Iranian stock and they spoke an Eastern Iranian language called Khwarezmian. The famous scientist Biruni, a Khwarazmian native, in his Athar ul-Baqiyah (الآثار الباقية عن القرون الخالية) (p.47), specifically verifies the Iranian origins of Khwarazmians when he wrote (in Arabic):

"اهل خوارزم ... کانوا غصنا, من دوحه الفرس"
    Translation:

"The parents (forefathers) of the Khwarezm were a branch from a [region] of Persia."
    Other geographers such as Istakhri in his Al-masalik wa al-mamalik mention it to be part of Khorasan and part of Transoxiania.

Classical times
    When the King of Khwarezmia offered friendship to Alexander the Great in 328 BC, Alexander's Greek and Roman biographers imagined the nomad king of a desert waste, but 20th century Russian archeologists revealed the region as a stable and centralized kingdom, a land of agriculture to the east of the Aral Sea, surrounded by the nomads of Central Asia, protected by its army of mailed horsemen, in the most powerful kingdom northwest of the Amu Darya (the Oxus River of antiquity). The king's emissary offered to lead Alexander's armies against his own enemies, west over the Caspian towards the Black Sea. Alexander politely refused.

The Pahlavi script based on Aramaic alphabet was used by Persian bureaucracy alongside Old Persian passed into use in Khwarezmia to the north, where it served as the first local alphabet, about the AD 2nd century.

Middle ages
    According to Biruni the area was ruled by the Afrigid dynasty from the 4th century to the 8th century CE. The resurgent kingdom was established around Khiva in 410 by Avar tribes possibly under Hephthalites influence. The inhabitants were called Khwalis or Kaliz by the Magyars after the eastern-most Kabars of Hungary, who dwelt in Carpathian Galicia. They were also called Khalisioi in Greek, Khvalis (and often associated with Khazars) in Russian, and Huālázǐmó (花剌子模) or perhaps Guali or Helisimijia in Chinese. The etymology of the name is unknown but may pertain to a kingdom of the Aral Sea or the Hua people.

In the late 7th century, Khwarezmia was conquered by the Arab Abbasids and was the birthplace of the great Persian mathematician of the Abbasid period, al-Khwarezmi. According to some historians, Khwarezmians were the people mentioned as Khalyzians in contemporary Byzantine sources.

In the 11th century, Khwarezmid Empire was founded and, in the early 13th century, ruled over all of Persia under the Shah Allah al-Din Muhammad II. Around 1141 Yelü Dashi took control of Khwarezmia, making it part of the Kara-Khitan Khanate. Then from 1218 to 1220 Genghis Khan and his Mongols launched the invasion of Central Asia and destroyed the Kara-Khitan Khanate and the Khwarezmid Empire, including the capital of the latter, Old Urgench (Kunya).

Notables of Khwarazm
    The following either hail from Khwarazm, or lived and are buried there:

Najmeddin Kubra
    Tureh Beig Khanum, wife of Tamerlane
    Khwajeh Mashad
    Imam Fakhreddin Razi
    Ala ad-Din Tekish, King of Khwarezmid Empire
    AbulHasan Sa'eedeh ibn Sa'deh, commentary writer on the writings of Sibawayh.
    Abaaq al-Khwarazmi
    Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, mathematician.
    Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Khwarizmi, 10th century encyclopedist who wrote Mafatih al-'Ulum (“Key to the Sciences”).
    Abu Bakr al-Khwarizmi
    Biruni
    Zamakhshari
    Qutb al-zaman Muhammad ibn Abu-Tahir Marvazi, philosopher
    Al-Marwazi, astronomer
    Najmeddin Razi

References
    Robin Lane Fox, Alexander the Great, pp 308ff etc.
    C.E. Bosworth, The Encyclopedia of Islam, VolIV, 1978.
    Bahram Farahvoshi, Iranovich, Tehran University Press. 1991.
    Musa Javan, Tarikh-i Ijtima'i Iran-i Bastan (The social history of ancient Iran), 1961.
    Shir Muhammad Mirab Munis & Muhammad Reza Mirab Agahi Firdaws al-Iqbal. History of Khorezm (Leiden: Brill) 1999 Trans & Ed. Yuri Bregel
    Yuri Bregel "The Sarts in the Khanate of Khiva" Journal of Asian History Vol.12 1978 pp121-151
    Nasser Takmil Homayoun, Kharazm: What do I know about Iran?. 2004. ISBN 9643790231
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 15, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Default Re: FACTION: The Khwarezm Shah

Some good info on this faction can be fount at http://muslimheritage.com/topics/def...?ArticleID=482
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Are these guys gonna be like Parthia in rtw?
    And cant wait for Alpha to start skinning these guys.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin View Post
    Are these guys gonna be like Parthia in rtw?
    And cant wait for Alpha to start skinning these guys.
    The Seljuks will be most like Parthia, in almost exclusively being made up of horse archers.

The Khwarezm are more like the Sassanians in Barbarian Invasion: Strong heavy cavalry, and decent infantry. Where they had Sughdian soldiers, Sassanian Spearmen, and in some mods Daylami, the Khwarezm will be getting Daylami (Think 'Hoplite-meets Legionary'. They have heavy javelins, and usually wield axes. They fight in a shield wall and are great shock and battle line infantry.) along with the heaviest cavalry in the mod, and probably some sort of superheavy horse archer.

Begs the question of their weakness, and well, if they don't have one (Since they'll have great heavy cavalry, good infantry, ect.) it's alright. They'll be facing the Seljuks, the Ghaznavids, Abbasids, and the biggest baddie of them all, the Mongols. Kind of the Seleucid syndrome - No weakness because you've got everything against you in the campaign.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Strategically speaking the Khwarezm are going to be like Parthia. They will start with four golden cities of Khwarezmia - Samarqand, Bukhara, Khiva, Urgench.

They will have some weaknesses. For one they won't get any really good heavy units until the last two Barracks levels. However they will nonetheless be one of the strongest and uber factions in the game for a couple of reasons:

- Historically they were situated on the silk route and very rich. They could afford and manufacture high quality armour and mercenaries. They were the heirs to the traditions of the Sassanians and Parthians and revived that heavy cataphract style.

- As the AI I want them to expand significantly before the Mongols arrive. Hopefully they will have conquered Iran and entered India by 1220. The mongols will be much bigger than in Vanilla and I'm hoping for an interesting turn of events wherein the Khwarezm faction "flees" to Azerbaijan or India - as they did historically.

- Last, but not least, I am utterly and personally biased towards them. I wanted to beat CA when I realized the Khwarezm weren't in. Bastards.

Bumping this thread to the top as they're up next and also I want to double check a few things.

The first post in this thread has the pictures posted twice under two different unit titles: Daylami Tribal Spearmen and Daylami tribesmen. Is this intentional?

Can we find some pictures for the Tajik Swordsmen, heavy daylami, persian and Khorasan Spearmen?

The archery range can recruit dismounted seljuk archers (light and medium)?

One reference in this thread shows a unit with different shield shapes..Do we want this for the daylami? It's very easy to add it in.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Indefinitely Banned

I'll give some detailed info on my vision in about 4 hours ( I have an exam in 2 )

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    Bumping this thread to the top as they're up next and also I want to double check a few things.

The first post in this thread has the pictures posted twice under two different unit titles: Daylami Tribal Spearmen and Daylami tribesmen. Is this intentional?
    Yeah. Tribal Spearmen are basically the 'worst' daylami. Spear, helmet and shield, nothing else. They are based on the minatures, and the idea that the daylami could fulfill the role of the lowest spearmen (Aside of AOR) for the Khwarezm. However, it could be given instead to the Tajiks, if wished. Daylami Tribesmen are the unarmored (Save for a helmet, and perhaps we could make their cloth 'heavier' or more padded) axe, javelin, and shield wielding Daylami. Kind of light infantry that in a shied wall can fight as medium infantry.

Can we find some pictures for the Tajik Swordsmen, heavy daylami, persian and Khorasan Spearmen?
    Will work on that right now.

The archery range can recruit dismounted seljuk archers (light and medium)?
    What does everyone else think? I wouldn't say so, based on assuming the Khwarezm is led by a Turk but not a Seljuk Turk. However the only real archer/ranged units I'd definitely want to see is some sort of elite Persian Archer. I see them as well armored but not very good at melee the way other hybrids (Like Heavy turkomans or Ghulam archers) are.

One reference in this thread shows a unit with different shield shapes..Do we want this for the daylami? It's very easy to add it in.
    What I read was that the Daylami themselves used circular shields, and those who served in Egypt adopted/were given oval shields. I don't know anything about the tear-shield, but I think it's common in the middle east, so it'd be fine if you want to, I don't really have a thought either way. I guess I'd not want it featured for uniform-ality in the shield wall.

But I'd suggest:

The Oval shield for the Tribal Spearmen
    The Round shield (Basically the viking type shields used by the Danes in Vanilla) for Daylami Infantry (Medium)

For the others (Daylami Tribesmen (Light), Heavy Daylami), I'm not quite sure yet. I think the light can use the oval and the heavy a larger metal circular shield (The medium wielding wooden painted. Heavy's would be painted but be metal).
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 24, 2007 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast