Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertising the Wiki

Default Advertising the Wiki

Advertisement will be crucial to the sucess of this wiki, anyone got any ideas?

Default Re: Advertising the Wiki

Only as far as getting some useful stuff into it and linking to it where ever relevant - sorry that's not very profound...

If we can get general categories set up for mods (released / WIP etc) then we could maybe get an announcement around the relevant forums requesting modders to enter own mods info. Ones without forums would probably be glad of ability to make own 'advert' page.

Otherwise its difficult to think of anything newsworthy enough to ask for announcement on, unless we develop whole new section on something - could we put up basic structure for historical info (if we want that in) and advertise that to VV contributors?

EDIT: don't know how much traffic you'd get from it anyway but it doesn't seem to come up on google at moment, even deliberately trying to look for it - could be its too recent or is there a robots.txt block?

I think if we can port enough tutorials to the Wiki we have a good shot getting advertisements at the ORG and dotCom.

When the Wiki began I spoke to ER and Myddrraal at the org, and the feeling I got was that if our Wiki became very dominant and useful they would have no problem working with us on it. At the time they were sticking with their forum-based wiki/tutorial idea.

If we really want it to be prolific, the wiki needs to be more TW and less TWC, though that doesn't mean it needs quantitatively less TWC, it just needs a higher ratio of TW/mod content.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

When the Wiki began I spoke to ER and Myddrraal at the org, and the feeling I got was that if our Wiki became very dominant and useful they would have no problem working with us on it. At the time they were sticking with their forum-based wiki/tutorial idea.
    Problem is since then I think their format has acquired quite a lot of info (on M2TW which is only area its implemented in) though that does have some disadvantages in terms of concise representation of current information - we would have quite a lot of catching up to do, so getting M2 modders involved would be essential.

We could also get their consent to port the information.

We could also get their consent to port the information.
    yeah I was wondering about that before, think from the discussions that went on about copyright when moving forum was talked about that you'd actually have to get permission from individual poster (?). And also possibly contact .org at official level so they don't think we're doing that as some sort of forum war.

I think their threaded wiki structure is possibly better for research - whereas ours is better for presenting 'finalised' information cleanly, if it is clear that both versions benefit the community hopefully we can get co-operation.

Do you think it would be worth it to PM mod leaders and see if they would contribute a few things about their mod?

Also contacting the Org is a good idea and something we should do when we have some more content.

Yeah, I meant to contact mod leaders once the basic page was created for their mod so they didn't have to worry about category etc. Didn't get round to it as distracted by putting in some modding stuff and other things....

We need to add more pages for the ones not done yet and contact the leaders for the mods where there isn't already content to give them opportunity for them/team to add own info. Suggest we put a short note on the talk section for the mod page to say who was contacted (and when) so we know which have been approached.

Re: more content for the modding section, I've been mucking about with some RTW stuff (as its area I know) but really must bite the bullet and try and get structure in for M2TW pages, and at least get a comprehensive link listing to off Wiki tutorials. If we get base in then its more credible if we're approaching anyone else.

Still haven't pm'd mod leaders trying to get pages a bit set for hosted mods atm.

Quick question while I think of it...

What does anyone think about having a 'Wiki Article of the Month' competition here? Sort of like the 'Picture of the Week' thing (you don't actually get anything for it except maybe rep). Nominate one article you have written between x dates. If too many submissions wiki committee shortlists. Winner decided by public poll (with links to articles)..... ????

Personally I think they way to go is with 'Featured' Articles like Spiff has said to me before. But before we start any of this we need get some more 'solid articles' on the wiki.

Do you mean 'featured' on the Wiki frontpage or featured somehow on TWC (sorry don't know what Spiff said).

Agreed we need some more 'solid articles', just could do with more variety of volunteers / ideas for them.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Do you mean 'featured' on the Wiki frontpage or featured somehow on TWC (sorry don't know what Spiff said).

Agreed we need some more 'solid articles', just could do with more variety of volunteers / ideas for them.
    Ahhhh sorry, Spiff might have only said that on msn. Anyway, we were thinking of having featured articles. I have set up a primitive system here:

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Category:Featured

Maybe we can advertise using these, that's what I mean.

Re: Featured articles - yeah see what you mean, would like to see some way of getting links to them mentioned on TWC as well though - maybe when there are more high quality ones to choose from...

As another idea would it be legitimate to add external link to TWC Wiki (or just TWC) to Wikipedia TW pages eg:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_W...game_series%29

I'm asking as I think some of you guys might have more idea on etiquette of making changes on Wikipedia.

We need to add TWC to that page too. If someone else wants to do it, I'm keeping away from wikipedia , then the code would be:

[http://www.twcenter.net Unofficial Total War Fansite 'Total War Center']
    [http://www.twcenter.net/wiki Unofficial Total War Wiki]

Actually I'm sure I added a link to the wiki page....

Edit: I did! and some bastard removed the TWC link on the wikipedia page...

Ah, having now looked at history this edit appears to be when last version of the link went:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=117014180

which sites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:EL

The removed link text was perhaps a bit biased?

The article quoted does also say
    Links normally to be avoided:
    12. Links to open wikis, except those with a substantial history of stability and a substantial number of editors.
    I'm not quite sure how substancial is quantified!
    also:
    You should avoid linking to a website that you own, maintain or represent, even if the guidelines otherwise imply that it should be linked. If the link is to a relevant and informative site that should otherwise be included, please consider mentioning it on the talk page and let neutral and independent Wikipedia editors decide whether to add it.
    How about trying to ask on the talk page? If we annoy their editors we are just likely to keep getting it reversed....

Gah some idiot added the biased bit. Sim knows more about Wikipedia than us, should we request to add it to the page?

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

I've left a comment on the talk pages of the article and the one who removed the link. Expect some response pretty soon. Of course, we're acting in self-interest, so the response may not be entirely friendly, but we're following the appropriate course of action.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Uh, thanks for trying Sim. it appears you were right about the not entirely friendly bit (and I'm now going to have to hide from the Org! - oops... )

Nice one Sim, we'll see how it goes...

It should be noted that a link to the Org is found on both RTW and M2TW pages, but not to TWC. Same thing, either have them both or none at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast