Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living in Hellas

Default Living in Hellas

The time machine is now a reality and time travells a routine.So where would you like to live as a citizen-hoplite with full civilian rights in Greece in the 5th Century BCE?You can choose only one faction of Hegemonia City States.

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Living in Hellas

I think i would live in...Athens
    You know, freedom of speech and civil rights, democracy and all that crap

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

Yeah, i would live in Athens too because they had the best standard of living. But since i would have to be a hoplite, Sparta because they were the best hoplites that were straight.
    Q: How are you doing?
    A: Better than Michael Jackson.

There is no need for you to fight against homoii.Just make good use of your better cavalry and harass them constantly for a time while you as a hoplite stay secure behind the Long Walls and remain wealthy due to your PERFECT navy ! Be patient and they will go soon. Sparta is a miserable vast barracks!Be proud to be a free Athenian man!I vote for Athens too.Superb quality of life,great food,intelligent and beautiful women,philosophy,what else you want?

Plague while you wait?

I'd be Syracusian- safe from the invasions of Persia- a power capable of pushing back Carthaginian invasions- and within reach of all the greatest minds of the time (most went to megale hellas sooner or later).

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparabara View Post
    vote for Athens too.Superb quality of life,great food,intelligent and beautiful women,philosophy,what else you want?
    The women of Sparta were famous for their facial beauty but they were more muscular and less feminine and curvious than the athenian ladies.As far as i know about ancient greek beauties I would suggest you take a look at the island of Chios!:wink: But unfortunately it is not included in the factions of Hegemonia .... :laughing:

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

I honestly thought when i saw this thread that at once everyone would say they would want to live on the isle of Lesbos
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Sparta had the best hoplites, but I just couldn't face spending my days doing nothing but training, possibly dodging rampant older men who wished to 'teach' me, and having very little time for myself.

Syracusa is a good one - and perhaps I'll visit in my old age; but it has to be Athens. Visiting the theatre to watch a deep and brooding play by Sophokles, or a hilarious comedy from Aristophanes, stopping in the Agora for a chat with Socrates and c., arguing in the ekklesia as to what my 'country' should and shouldn't do, having my own house where I can largely do what I like - having the time to play games (it sometimes surprises me that we gamers, who clearly love their leasure time and spend it on 'useless' pursuits like playing games, so often wish they were Spartans).

Also, as an Athenian travel was easy so visits to Lesbos etc (possibly the fleshpots of Ionia too) to say nothing of visiting Corinth and the exquisite 'festivals' they had, would be an option!
    Last edited by Sir Francis; March 18, 2007 at 11:13 AM.

Know Thyself! - The God Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_of_rob View Post
    I honestly thought when i saw this thread that at once everyone would say they would want to live on the isle of Lesbos
    I know a Greek Lesbian. She's the only Greek I know that I want to slap repetitiously.
    "...a man may not account himself a true son of Athens until he has been exiled and condemned to death!" -- Euryptolemus, Steven Pressfield's Tides of War
    "Be sure to give the elephants their emetics in good time. I do not want my chariot slowed by giant turds."
    -- Julius Caesar, HBO's Rome

I would probably want to be an Athenian. However, it would be inevitable I become outrageously popular and would be eventuallly ostracized . After that, I would make my way to Syracuse to fight the Carthies. Or maybe I would venture to Rhodes, an island that has always been of interest to me.
    "The strongest passions and most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venal love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace." -J. Madison

I think I'd have to go for Megara.
    "...a man may not account himself a true son of Athens until he has been exiled and condemned to death!" -- Euryptolemus, Steven Pressfield's Tides of War
    "Be sure to give the elephants their emetics in good time. I do not want my chariot slowed by giant turds."
    -- Julius Caesar, HBO's Rome

I'd still like to be a Spartan if it was Classical Greece because it was kind of in control over Greece and you could kick anyones ass in a fight, except for Theban Sacred Band.

Hahah yeah I'm with Dannath
    Kill a few men and you're a murderer,
    kill a million and you're a conquerer.

HopliteGlory, Dannath and SpartansDieLikeEveryoneElse, are you guys in the army?

Is that a serious question?
    Use smilies funnyman..

I am serious. A lot of guys involved in military games are, but my main question is that if people want to fight in wars, why not be in the army?

The original question was interesting; it wasn't about playing RTW, it was about what state you would belong to if time-travel were possible.

Yeah and I said that Sparta be the state I'd live in.
    I gotta go to the army for that?

Well yes, as I'm sure you know. As a citizen of Sparta, you would be in the 'army'.

HopliteGlory wants to fight the carthies, Danath wants to kick other countries' arses, and you agree. So I'm wondering: if what you guys really want to do is 'fight' and 'kick arse' why don't you? (Or to put it another way: why aren't you in the army, and what would be different being in a Spartan army?)

I'm not in the army but im getting into medschool so i wouldn't give that up to be in the army. But i'm not really afraid of getting hurt because ive been stabbed with a knife before and it actually doesnt hurt that much, so being in the army in classical Greece wouldnt be that bad if you were a Spartan or Theban Sacred Band, but id rather be a Spartan because im not gay.
    Last edited by Dannath; March 19, 2007 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Francis View Post
    HopliteGlory wants to fight the carthies, Danath wants to kick other countries' arses, and you agree. So I'm wondering: if what you guys really want to do is 'fight' and 'kick arse' why don't you? (Or to put it another way: why aren't you in the army, and what would be different being in a Spartan army?)
    I'd love the idea of being in a Spartan army for sure and I'd love to kick Athenian arses with Danath. So why I don't wanna be in the army these days? I'll tell you why, because that whole Spartan thing is more than 2000 years ago. Back in those days you fought with sword and spear but these days were into nuclear wars and that types of bulls.hit.
    Get it? I hate the way we 'fight' our wars these days so you'll definately won't find me in the army but fighting as a Spartan woulda be: Hell Yeah!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast