Thread: Religious Unrest

Default Religious Unrest

Think you might've toned down religious unrest a bit much. Can capture city provinces with 0% friendly religion, leave a single understrength infantry for a garrison, set taxes at normal, and still have >100% order.

My latest campaign in TLR, about 50 turns in, 35ish provinces controlled, more than half of which were either pagan or muslim (my faction = orthodox), felt no need to build any churchs at all, or even a 2nd priest, until my first one died of old age. Even then, only built a replacement to kill a heretic.

Other mods, or vanilla, if conquering so much territory of other religions, I'll flood the area with priests in advance. Will send 18-20 priests to the mideast along with my crusading armies, just to get the conversion process moving fast enough so that my captured provinces don't rebel. In TLR, religion might as well not be in the game at all.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Default Re: Religious Unrest

I toned it down a bit but I didn't intend for it to be pointless.

I just wanted to model the fact that the religions coexisted peacefully in many cases.

100% islam with a catholic ruler should have moderate to high unrest.

Given that, let me know if it needs tweaking.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

Here's a couple examples:

I'm playing Byzantium: Antioch, very recently captured, population 7k, only 2% orthodox, only building in town is the barracks it started the game with, has only 25% religious unrest, normal tax rate. After capture, garrisoned it with a single town militia, current overall unrest level 75%.

Iasi, 3k pop, no buildings at all, 15% orthodox, 20% religious unrest, garrisoned with a half strength mercenary infantry, normal tax rate, current unrest level = 85%.

If 25% is the most unrest that can be generated from religious unrest, there'll be little reason to build priests other than killing heretics. If there's no risk of a rebellion with 0% friendly religion and a single unit as garrison, there's not much point sending priests to convert. Given that the smallest church in the game costs 5k to build, they are a VERY low priority build.

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

I did some testing and increased the cap for religious unrest. I also slightly increased the cap for unrest from distance to the capitol.
    I also very slightly increased order from garrisons to compensate.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification