Thread: Help plz

Default Help plz

Hey I am trying to add a name to suitable husbands for the daughters of your family to marry, but I don't even know how to start. I want it to be random not to automaticly be there when I start a new game, which is what I think all the edits I have looked at do. Please help. If you could tell me what I need to do and where to put it I would appericate it. If you give an example use the name Aegeta or something. Thank you very much.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help plz

The names in the game are randomly generated from the list of names in the text files based on which ones are usable by which faction. The only ones that aren't randomly generated are those of the starting characters in the game as those have to be hard coded into the descr_stat.txt file.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Yeah that's what I am asking about. I've found the list of names the descr_names and the descr_names_lookup. I added the names I wanted to both files under the right faction for the one that matters, but the game crashes once I move a unit out of the city not always the 1st one I try to move out of the city but it eventualy crashes. I guess b/c that unit had the name I added to the lists, but I just did something wrong. I only edited the descr_names and the descr_names_lookup files is there another I need to edit too?

in the data/text folder there is file called "names.txt" all new names have to go in there or you will get crash as you describe when the game attempts to use new name. Be careful with it, watch out for putting any odd spaces in and make sure spelling and Capital letters match exactly. It doesn't matter if you duplicate existing name it will just use translation in bottom one.

If you are adding lots of names there is a way of adding them via. excel spreadsheet and automatically generating {} brackets, if you need that see if you can search workshop / tutorials thread for it. Post again if you can't find it and I'll see if I can remember how it works...

(descr_names_lookup I don't think is actually required by later versions of game)

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    (descr_names_lookup I don't think is actually required by later versions of game)
    Not BI 1.6, at least - I don't know about any others.