Thread: NEW FACTION: Reino de Aragon y Navarra (ARAGON)

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Default NEW FACTION: Reino de Aragon y Navarra (ARAGON)

This thread will be used to discuss the different aspects of the Aragon faction. This post is only a placeholder and will be updated.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Default Re: NEW FACTION: Reino de Aragon y Navarra (ARAGON)

I think we should just leave that "Reino de" away. I know that wer'e trying to make this mod as accurate as can be, but I think it would be just better to leave those "Kingdom of" and so on for some factions.

Btw do we have done anything to Aragon yet?
    I would love to see the Aragonese faction done.

-Heretic

me too , surely one of the next 3-4 factions to be done

Quote Originally Posted by HereticFang View Post
    I think it would be just better
    ...call me a skeptic, but I'll need a little more convincing than that.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

I think it's better to put the kingdom of or reino de, it's more realistic, but I don't understand what do you want to leave that?
    It isn't a big problem, it's a little thing in a very big mod

Yuiis's Avatar Senator

What in this mod is known as Reino de Aragon, is not what was really in middle ages . The more authentic name for the faction should be Crown of Aragon. The kingdom of aragon, was just the territory of Aragon itself. The Crown of Aragon, is what is known as the kingdom of Aragon+the County of Barcelona(Catalunya), which is what I believe you want to include in your mod . Hope it helped.

(...) and that unfortunate People were afterwards forced to undergo the utmost Miseries of a Siege, in their Capital City of Barcelona; during which, great Multitudes of them perished by Famine and the Sword, many of them have since been executed; and great Numbers of the Nobility of Catalonia, who, for their Constancy and Bravery in Defence of their Liberties, and for their Services in Conjunction with Her Majesty and Her Allies, had, in all Honour, Justice, and Conscience, the highest Claim to Her Majesty's Protection, are now dispersed in Dungeons throughout the Spanish Dominions.
    -Journal of the House of Lords: volume 20: 1714-1717, pp. 136-144.

You would have helped them by mentioning how you say "Crown of" in Catalan.

Yuiis's Avatar Senator

Lol, sry you're right xD

The catalan name for the kingdom is Corona d'Aragó.

Some historians also call it Corona Catalano-aragonesa, or Confederació Catalano-aragonesa. There's a bit of discussion about these names though, so I would suggest you just put the first one I said above .

Hope it really helped this time xD.

looking forward to trying this mod, any clue as to when it might be out? I know its not the thread but....Thnks!!!

Ok just saw another thread, guesses are July, i'll be waiting then .

And oh if you need some help in this faction, I'm open to suggestions or any questions you guys might have...not that I'm a historian or a real expert in it, but I do know quite a bit on my country's history that could maybe be of help to you guys!
    Last edited by Yuiis; May 25, 2007 at 03:43 AM.

(...) and that unfortunate People were afterwards forced to undergo the utmost Miseries of a Siege, in their Capital City of Barcelona; during which, great Multitudes of them perished by Famine and the Sword, many of them have since been executed; and great Numbers of the Nobility of Catalonia, who, for their Constancy and Bravery in Defence of their Liberties, and for their Services in Conjunction with Her Majesty and Her Allies, had, in all Honour, Justice, and Conscience, the highest Claim to Her Majesty's Protection, are now dispersed in Dungeons throughout the Spanish Dominions.
    -Journal of the House of Lords: volume 20: 1714-1717, pp. 136-144.

no offense mate,but I dont understand why it should be called corona d'aragó, catalan was not the oficial lenguage of the crown.
    and, im not sure about navarre, wasnt it an independent kingdom for the most time of the period?:hmmm:
    i should look it up to be sure anyway...

http://silvercolum.deviantart.com/
    ''God seems to be spanish,for granting u such a great miracle.''
    Almiral Holak, battle of empel

I have not looked at this thread in a very long time. The faction is called Kingdom of Aragon. The Crown of Aragon did not come into existence until the mid-12th century when the Kingdom of Aragon united with the County of Barcelona. The mod starts in 1080, so Kingdom of Aragon it is. Furthermore, I can't think of a good reason to use Catalan names when I can use Aragonese names.

-John G. Hartung

The Crown of Aragon did not come into existence until the mid-12th century when the Kingdom of Aragon united with the County of Barcelona
    yeah thats it.

http://silvercolum.deviantart.com/
    ''God seems to be spanish,for granting u such a great miracle.''
    Almiral Holak, battle of empel

Quote Originally Posted by silvercolum View Post
    no offense mate,but I dont understand why it should be called corona d'aragó, catalan was not the oficial lenguage of the crown.
    and, im not sure about navarre, wasnt it an independent kingdom for the most time of the period?:hmmm:
    i should look it up to be sure anyway...
    Catalan was the tongue of the King (in the Crown, not the Kingdom, which ends its independence from Barcelona in 1134) and the Administration and the Royal Chancery. Of course, the federal nature of the Crown of Aragon made that Aragonese continued to be spoken in Aragon in an "official" way, but Catalan was the most used language, as was that of the King and Catalonia was also much more populated than Aragon and much more prosper (in terms of trade).

Look at the Book of Deeds written by king Jaume I. Little aragonese names appear. Blasco de Alagón, Nuńo Sánchez and few more. Most of the powerful nobles in the Crown were of Catalan origin.

So, there's a reason to make Catalan the tongue of the Crown. But not, of course, the Kingdom of Aragon.

And Navarra was under Aragonese domain. Since the times of Sancho the Greater, Aragon and Navarre, and even Castille, shared a very interelated polithical situation. When Sancho IV of Navarre was killed in 1076 by his own siblings, the kingdom fell into a huge dynastical crysis and Sancho of Aragon took the chance to take over control of Navarre.

His sons were Pedro (king as Pedro I), Alfonso (king as Alfonso I the Battler) and Ramiro (who was bishop of Barbastro, and when Alfonso the Battler died was forced to abandon the habits and wear the crown as Ramiro II the Monk, in order to give an heir to the monarchy)

When Alfonso I died in 1134, the successional crysis of Aragon was followed by the separation of Navarra, because Navarrese nobles did not support Ramiro's election.

Ramiro the Monk gave an heir, but not a man. His daughter was Petronila, who married Ramon Berenguer IV, Count of Barcelona, and of this marriage was born Anfós, who inherited both domains as Anfós (or Alfons) I (for Catalonia, II for Aragon).

Take care!

PS: This is no request to make a County of Barcelona or something else, just the answer to your doubts.
    "Déu és beure bé, menjar fresc i llevar-se a les deu"
    (God is to drink well, to eat fresh and to wake up at ten)
    ------ from the Catalan "Inquisition Trials Archive"

Cčsar de Quart
    Europe 1200 Team Member

Well, but as Alexios Konmenos has said, Navarre wasn't dependant on Aragon before the death of Antso IV. In fact, Navarre dominated a vaste extension of land before the death of Antso III and the splitting away of the kingdom. However, when it became "independent" it was a tiny piece of land with neither power nor space to conquer.

And Navarre wasn't conquered until 1521 (though had suffered lots of invasions from Castille and Aragon, lost the coastal provinces) because it was declared protestant (and catholics couldn't occupy heretic lands, it was just a cheat from the Navarrese to hold as long as possible)
    So it would be interesting to create a small, weak kingdom on the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Txapelo View Post
    Well, but as Alexios Konmenos has said, Navarre wasn't dependant on Aragon before the death of Antso IV. In fact, Navarre dominated a vaste extension of land before the death of Antso III and the splitting away of the kingdom. However, when it became "independent" it was a tiny piece of land with neither power nor space to conquer.

And Navarre wasn't conquered until 1521 (though had suffered lots of invasions from Castille and Aragon, lost the coastal provinces) because it was declared protestant (and catholics couldn't occupy heretic lands, it was just a cheat from the Navarrese to hold as long as possible)
    So it would be interesting to create a small, weak kingdom on the campaign.
    Navarre will not be a separate faction. At the time this mod begins Navarre was part of the Kingdom of Aragon.

-John G. Hartung