Thread: The Pope's Pleasant Suprise: Scotland's Crusade, 1180

Default The Pope's Pleasant Suprise: Scotland's Crusade, 1180

The Pope is new, his Catholic nations torn and fighting among themselves. A crusade against Jerusalem ended with the Pope before the last dying and the new pope cancelling the crusade.

Far to the northwest the small country of Scotland has asserted its independence from England and not only established itself in Scotland and the Irish Isles, but has also captured the Castle of Oslo, Norway. Trade routes are now capable of being defended, and scottish Naval vessels have access to Russia and Poland, bearing diplomats and gifts of gold in return for slavic alliances and trade.

In short, Scotland has become the defining economic power in the North Sea. Denmark, a jealous nation, has caused problems with the Scottish Navy and have declared war on the emerging power of the North Sea. Now another war among people of the same faith looms bleakly on the horizon.

The new Pope has just been elected, and excommunicated Denmark, England, and Milan as examples of what happens to those who war on other Catholics. And to reestablish christian connections with the Holy Land, a Crusade has been called to Jerusalem by the new Pope.

No faction as yet has joined the crusade exept for the Portugese; but to the Northwest the pope finds a new ally among the economic powerhouse that is Scotland.

One of King Edward's son in laws is tasked with taking up the cross and going to the holy land. A year is spent building an army and planning the coming campaign to the Holy Land. Pirates roam the seas, and Denmark's Norse Navy chokes the English Channel in their war against England and Scottland. The Scottish Navy, while keeping Denmark's naval power pent up in the channel, is not big enough to establish control over the atlantic yet; they have only just finished establishing power over the North Sea.

A land route is decided on, from Holland to Italy and by naval mercenary vessels from Italy to Greece, then to Asia Minor and from there, to war against the Egyptians in the Holy Land.

The young noble sets out with his army, after a long night of feasting and tender goodbyes to his wife, for the Holy Land in 1182 AD. The next few days are spent crossing from Scotland to Mainland Europe, where the young Scot meets his first challenge as a general. His allies, the French, are being beset by Denmark and Milan, and the coastal town that he was planning on recieving a warm welcome at upon his arrival he finds in the hands of the Norsemen.

He calls a meeting with his advisors and captains. The Priest accompanying the Crusaders attends, and the Scottish Diplomat MacDougal rushes across France and Normandy to attend as well.

The Diplomat's arrival is a pleasant suprise for the young Erin of Berwickshire. At 18, he is not yet accustomed to Running and army, much less using diplomacy to get that army from Western France to Italy without hazard.

MacDougal Speaks first at the meeting. "Lads, I have come from Paris where the Norsemen have sacked the French Capitol. The King is bottled up in Rhiems, and there is no hope of saving him at this point in time. England is holding only slightly to Normandy, and we are facing a France ruled by two nations who are opposed to the Pope and thence, our crusade. Milan has just announced an alliance with Egypt, and will contest our every move should we attempt to make Marsialles, or Italy via the southern route.

"The Holy Roman Empire, while not being our ally, or even a friend of Scotland or the Pope, is just to the East of here. We can make it through Denmark, for they keep to the coast. As soon as we get to the Holy Roman Empire, we are safe."

Eric listened intentley to these words. "MacDougal, you have served the King faithfully for years now. You are aged and wise, and your knowledge of the area is invaluable. We shall march for the Empire, tell the men to double the pickets in camp, and we march an hour before daybreak on the morrow."

The next morning the Crusaders set out. Nobles march at the head of the column, while free Highlanders there on their own accord march at the rear, holding the place of honor as the rear guard of the Army. Pikemen, archers, and French, German and English Crusaders new to the expedition march along in the column, and for weeks the army tries to maneuver through the Norse held lands without incident.

Word comes an inquisitor burned MacDougal at the Stake; Erin has too little time to worry with this now. He is marching by night to try and make the lands of the Holy Roman Empire before his army is attacked. But he reaches the Rhine, and finds Denmark's host waiting for him.

THE BATTLE OF METZ BRIDGE:

Erin has now marched for months over the European landscape at a horrid pace; not only has he been sneaking around the Norse cities, but there are no roads in the land to use, and now there is a Danish army waiting for him across the bridge; the only bridge he can use to get across the Rhine into the Holy Roman Empire only a few days march from there.

Erin calls his captains together. They look across the river at the norse army; the Norse have 500 men in a defensive position. All of the enemy are hardened veterans of wars against the Germans, the French, and Italians. Erin, himself only 18, is not young for his army. The Scots have been blessed with sixty years of peace at home, and there has been a generation gap in soldiers. All of Erin's men from the Scottish countryside are under 25. Even the nobles with him are young, of the forty in his army not one is over 23. Only the Scottish Mercenaries and the weathered Crusaders joining his army have any experience fighting. So Erin looks to the mercenary captain, MacDonnel, and the French Crusader d'Bussy for aid in his battle plan. In extreme secrecy they spend the whole night planning the attack for the next morning.

Morning comes, and the men are awake. The young nobles are itching to fight; broadswords are polished, and armor is donned. The highlanders put on their leather curiass, and the crusaders pray for victory. The priest holds mass, and by seven AM the army is formed and the knights are mounted. D'Bussy forms his mounted crusaders into a column at the rear of the army, and puts his company into a wedge at the front of the mounted division. The Scottish spear militia from County Edinburgh form up at the front of the army; their leader, captain Bruce MacDougal, grandson of the diplomat, has petitioned Eric for the honor of being the first into the battle. Behind them the crusading French infantry are formed, eager now not to Crusade, but avenge the fall of Paris. The Scottish nobles, wearing tartans of their family and the armor of their class, itch for a brawl behind the crusaders. Archers are formed on the edges of the river, and mercenary crossbowmen are placed alongside the spear militia from Edinburgh to take up a firing position on the bridge.

Eric rides with his retainers up the column, nodding at d'Bussy and MacDougal. His trumpeter sounds the attack, and the archers let loose fiery arrows at the Danes.

MacDougal holds his spear high, and signals his men forward into the jaws of the Norse position across the river.

The attack is on; the crusader infantry supports MacDougal immediatley, and the Norsemen are pushed from the river onto a hill, where they rally and counterattack. The Scottish Nobles lead themselves and the highlanders across the bridge, and into the fray. It is a bloody sight; the nobles engage the Huscarls of the Danish King, and a blood feud among young nobles is born. The Scots push the Danes' right flank back, and the Danes counter with an assault by mounted Huscarls on the Scottish flanks. D'Bussy sees Eric's banner wave; a second, plain blue flag is waved and he recognizes the signal. His trumpeter blows his horn, and the mounted division races forward.

"FOR FRANCE!" yells d'Bussy, levelling his lance. His men echo his war cry, and they pass the Scottish Pikemen left to hold the flanks and cross the bridge. The Danes have fought well, and against overwhelming numbers. This charge is simply too much for them. The enemy flank routes, the professional troops of the Norsemen cracking and fleeing. Their general is killed, and Eric adn his men chase down the fleeing Huscarls and slaughter them.

Now d'Bussy can concentrate on his foes' flanks, and regroups his cavalry into a single line. Two ranks deep, the Chivalry of France begins their final assault at a brisk trot, moving ever forward.

Meanwhile MacDougal's Spearmen have been overzealous and have made it to teh top of the crest into the remaining Norse soldiery. They realize they are surrounded, and the scottish nobles are fighting vigorously to get to them but are still hewing at the enemy at the base of teh hill. MacDougal orders his men into a Schiltrom, where they try to fend off the attacks of enemy reserve spearmen. There are only 17 left standing of 75 militia, and unless something is done fast nobody will be left to represent Edinburgh in the Holy Land.

A young Scottish captain in command of one of the two companies of Free Highlanders realizes MacDougal is stranded. The French Cavalry is about to charge the Dane flank, but knows they will not make it to the crest in time.

He regroups his company, and they sneak to the south to slip around the Danes' left flank. Running as fast as they can, the 33 Highlanders rush around and up the saddle leading to the crest where their fellow scots are fighting for life and limb.

With a battle cry they rush on the Danish rear, and smash into the Norse archers and reserves with their axes. MacDougal, wounded, passes out from loss of blood; his men, numbering only 5 still capable of fighting, stop after they have been relieved to look to the wounded.

D'Bussy is now close enough to the enemy to order his men to charge. They have been riding at a canter now for some time, but now is the moment of truth; those whose lances are still intact after the initial charge level them. Those whose lances broke level their swords, and the line of five companies of knights bears down on the remaining three hundred or so Danes, now utterly surrounded.

The fight goes on for no more than two minutes; the "Real" norsemen have fled, and the peasant-class spearmen and archers give in at once, and are captured trying to flee.

A messenger, a young Scot noble with the name Finley Kennedy, rides with two of his retainers to the camp of the King of Denmark in Lowland France, to bear a note of ransom for the captured troops.

"Never!" the king says, a mouth full of boar, "Kill the traitors. I won't pay a single shilling to barbarian Celts!"

Erin, not able to support the weight of prisoners, allows whomever wants to swear allegiance to the Pope, Scotland, and King Edward. The rest are put to death as the young noble cries in his tent and confesses to the priest.

Three days later, the army marched past the first outpost of the Holy Roman Empire. The gruff Germans wave to the passing Crusaders, and finally Erin's army can rest.

However, a long road to Palestine still awaits. As the sun sets, Sir Kennedy arrives back with the grim message: The Holy Roman Empire is at war with the pope, and has been ex-communicated.

Erin calls his captains together. It promises not to be a dull campaign!

-----TO BE CONTINUED-----

Default Re: The Pope's Pleasant Suprise: Scotland's Crusade, 1180

Indeed your having no luck getting to the Holy Land, but that isn't really a bad thing(for excitement anyways). Look forward to seeing more.

Awesome a story about scotland!

-----PART II-------

Erin reads the dispatch Kennedy brings with him. No messengers from the Empire had yet reached the outpost, and the Germans and Scots shared the evening's campfires, sang bard's tales of old, traded war stories, and compared spoils of war. The Scots, having only recently been initiated into the fires of war, were amazed at the regularity of the Germans' scars and their huge amounts of war booty.

Erin looked over the camp. His twelve hundred men were happily drinking themselves to a blivion, hoping for a brief rest before the challenge of marching around the alps. Again, he called his commanders to a council.

"Lads, old friends, and French allies," he began, "News has just reached me of the pope's decision to excommunicate the Empire. We are, quite literally, going to have to crusade not only in the Holy Land, we are going to have to Crusade there, as well. Venice has been Excommunicated for some time. We need to use their ports to gain shipping to the Holy Land. What do the members of this council have to offer the Crusade in terms of strategic movement?"

D'Bussy spoke first. "My lord, I am a direct man. Politics is not my forte, and I prefer to know my enemies. Should a German messenger come tonight with dispatches and orders he is sure to bring news of this. We do not know that this will affect our standing with the Empire, yet would it not be better to gain the goodwill of the Commander here and hold a meeting with him? If not, it could turn out badly. In fact, the Germans could wait until our lads are asleep and slit their throats. My point is, lord, that we should call the German captain here to our meeting."

Erin thought about it. At the age of 18, he looked much older. The stresses of getting an army through Europe were telling on him, and his council could tell that he was thinking of much more than inviting the German captain to the council.

Finally he spoke. "MacLaughlin, go to the headquarters of the German and ask him to join us. Go unarmed."

One of the nobles bowed slightly and left the group. Only 17, MacLaughlin was himself new to war, but was a son of the Scottish Ambassador to England. He was cool tempered, and yet fast with his broadsword. He was one of twenty-two nobles to ride in Erin's personal bodyguard, and bore the royal banner at Erin's right side in battle.

He mounted his horse and rode at a gallop through the Scottish Camp and to the walls of the German fort. Dismounting, he walked his horse to the guard room. "Who goes there?" the guard asked, then seeing the kilt worn my MacLaughlin continued, "Oh, I see. Whvat brings you here, Scot?"

"I need to speak to the garrison commander, it is urgent."

"Aye, my lord, I vill see." The German yelled back to the man inside the stockade, and the man yelled back. MacLaughlin could hear horse beats riding off towards the "keep," a stone building built at the top of the pass where the watchout and the commander could watch for approaching armies.

In ten minutes the horseman came back, yelling German. Another horse could be heard behind him, and the gates opened. The German captain was there, dismounted, and as the gates opened he came out and offered a salute of his right hand, showing he was unarmed. MacLaughlin answered with a like salute, although both men were armored.

"What is it, Scot?" the German asked.

"My Lord, Erin, wishes to speak to you, lord. There has been an incident which he wishes to discuss."

"Tell Sir Erin that I will be there straight away. If it involves one of my men, or several of them, I will deal with it at once."

"No, sire, it is nothing to do with your men. They and our Scots are drinking themselves to sleep, singing peacefully around the fires."

Some small talk was made, and the German mounted and rode with MacLaughlin and the German horseman from the gate to the place where Erin was holding his council.

"Ah, sir, it is well you joined us," Erin spoke, rising to greet the German. "I have some news which may affect our relationship, and upon advice from my friend d'Bussy I decided to relate it to you in person."

"Speak, my lord. You and I are not politicians, and words between men need not be adulterated with flowery words and long introduction."

"Well then German, I will not water it down or insult you with small talk. The Pope has excommunicated your King and country. I am at the head of a crusading army. Our target is Jerusalem, but we fly the banner of the Papal States alongside ours. We will vacate the Empire as soon as possible. However, I wish to know how this will affect our relations until I can nurse my wounded, regroup, resupply, and march for the Great Sea."

"My Lord," the German replied, "our men are friends now. Your men and mine are, as we speak, creating the alliances of tomorrow. One of the men under my command is the third in line for the Imperial Crown. He drinks at the fire of your young nobles, and mark my words, nothing will happen to you in the lands of the Holy Roman Empire. Should word from the Emperor come saying otherwise, I will give your army ample time to leave and get a day's head start on us. besides, with my three hundred infantry how can I stop you? You have my final word as a German, I will not attack your forces. My men will not take up arms against Scotland, against whom we have no quarrel at all."

He turned and remounted his horse. "Good luck, Scot. May we meet again." He turned his steed and rode away, back to his fort.

For two more days the army rested. No word was carelessly dropped about the excommunication, and on the morning of the third day the Scots were on the road towards the sea.

For several weeks they marched, until they reached the southern border of the Empire and the Northern boundary of the Venician realm of influence. A series of events had forced the Army to reroute, and some of the French Crusaders had deserted after finding out the Crusade was going to be heading west, not east, despite pleas from d'Bussy and Erin himself. One of the Scottish Pike units had deserted as well, choosing to follow the French crusaders. Erin was very displeased with them, but did not persue as he felt that they had a right as free Scots to follow their own moral obligations.

Winding through the alps took time, and the army filed through the passes, keeping close together to fend off the innumberable wolf packs that pervaded the small mountain roads.

A small village was hosting a small group of crusaders from Germany, who joined the Scots and followed them on their way through the Alps.

Then one morning, as the army marched, Kennedy and his scouts came riding back to the main column.

"Sir Erin, a Venetian Army blocks the path. They are no more than 300 strong, but they are well positioned in the pass. There is no way to get by them, and they are obviously there to fight. I tried to approach to talk, but was met a hundred yards out by a Venetian officer who told us that no Crusading army, no Scot army, was to pass through the lands of Venice. He has orders to hold until relieved."

"Ah," said d'Bussy, "Three hundred. Reminds me of another story of antiquity.*"

"Yes," said Erin, "But we will spare the frontal. Kennedy, find a route for the horses and men up the side of these mountains. We will bypass them and come down on the side of the mountain, not uphill at their position."

The scouting party rode off again, and by afternoon the army was painstakingly coming off one mountain, going up another, and quickly becoming exhausted.

Finally Erin reached the spot the scouts had placed the Scottish banner. Below the Venetians hastened to redeploy, and their catapults were being lugged piece by piece up to a higher vantage point. The spearmen were struggling up the side of the mountain, and Erin lost no time. Only one infantry unit had been brought up, and that was one of the French Crusading units. There was almost no way to reach the Italians; the Scottish knights on horse were trying to get down the steep slopes, and were having no luck. ONly the German Crusaders, with horses used to the Alp slopes, were able to get down the slope and onto the half-mile long ledge that led to the Italians. Erin led his horse down after the two companies of crusaders, and his nobles, on foot as Scotsmen generally prefered, tried to follow. They were used to the Highlands, but none had seen mountains such as these. With their armor it was almost impossible to get down the trail without falling, and most just slid down on their arses.

By the time the army was caught up, only the two crusading companies had made it past the place where the trail was only three feet wide, and Erin's bodyguard was trying as well to make it.

The mercenary crossbowmen wasted no time; they slid down the slopes quickly and ran to catch up to the men ahead.

It was a confusing state for an army; only a few men could pass through the trail at any one time, and then regrouping was almost impossible.

The German knights had made it to the level ground where the Venetian catapults were positioned, and slaughtered the crews before they could get a shot off. The Spearmen were struggling to get up the hill, but were caught on a ledge with, again, no more than a 3 foot trail leading to it.

The crossbowmen, pleasantly suprising Erin with their nimbleness, made it to a ledge overlooking the spearmen, and began to hail arrows on them, helplessly stuck with no missles to reply with. Erin coaxed his horse through the trail, and engaged the Venetians. For a while he stood alone, until MacLaughlin caught up with two other mounted nobles, and fought off the spears of the Italians until the infantry crusaders caught up from up the mountain from the catapult. The archers had shifted their fire to the other spearmen, caught on another ledge below.

With nowhere to go, the spearmen covered themselves with their spears until the archer ran out of arrows.

For another twenty minutes, the fight continued along the mountainside, and finally the Venetian captain fell, prefering a death by sword to a death falling off the mountain. The remaining spearmen were cut to shreds and surrendered, only twenty four being captured.

The army continued for another three days until they reached the Italian coutryside. A company of 200 was brushed aside, retreating to Venice itself.

Finally Erin's army reached the port outside Venice. A small Venetian army walled itself up in the city itself; the Venetian sailors in the port village were forced onto their ships, and trade from Venice was cut.

As the sun set in the August sky, Erin looked at the Venetian Navy in the Sea just outside the port. It was still a long way to the Holy Land; but tomorrow was a new day.

------TO BE CONTINUED--------
    *No kidding, it was 300 men; in a pass; and I was put onto a near impossible battle map where only 400 of my 1100 man army could engage!

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

great story +1 rep from me, keep it coming!

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus

taylorj2's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

You should write a book

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj2 View Post
    You should write a book
    In fact, I have several books in the process of being written as well as a myspace dedicated soley to stories and excerpts of books. I just don't have the patience to finish all of them!

Morning comes and goes in the city of Edinburgh. The afternoon is greeted with a light rain, and slips into a steady downpour by nightfall. King Edward sits at his table eating supper when his guard captain bursts into the room.

"My Lord, a rider from the crusade."

"Let him in, MacGraph," the king replies, not bothering to drop his knife.

A man came into the dining hall, the King and his family looking at the man's appearance. He was a highlander, no doubt, but was wearing very fine clothes of silk and wool. Only a crusder's cross made of tartan denoted him as a Kennedy Clansman.

"My lord," the man said, kneeling, "I am Sir Finley Kennedy, one of Erin's Retainers and closest friends. I am afraid I must bring you word of his death, and the death of three hundred Scotsmen with him."

The King was stopped short. He dropped his knife and meat, and looked up at Kennedy with a minacing glare. "My son in law is Dead, Kennedy?" "Aye, my lord, he is dead." "And how did he die?"

Kennedy looked around. He was relieved that Erin's wife was in York with her sister, and not at the royal palace in Edinburgh. "My lord, he died in the sea. The three or four hundred Scotsmen, along with crusaders, also were claimed by the sea. And Egypt."

A gasp ran around the feast hall. "What happened, Kennedy, exactly?" the King asked.

"We had fought our way through the lands of Denmark, my lord. No messengers got back to you after that, because they sealed the land up so tight. We defeated a huge Dane army in Germany at a bridge, where we slaughtered a small but well emplaced army. That gave us the freedom to march into the lands of the Holy Roman Empire, and from there due south to Italy, where we fought with Venice after a confrontation in the alps. We slaughtered the venetians as well, a small army that cost us no more than forty souls to slaughter to a man.

"After this we marched south to a small port town outside venice, where we awaited word from Erin as to our route. The Venetian sailors in the port town and Venice had suffered heavy losses when we marched into the town, and the ships sailed the next day south of Venice for repairs and to recruit sailors.

"Erin found fifty men, crusaders, Scots, and Townspeople capable of sailing, and hired two galleys that had been brought up on the docks for repairs. He decided to sail that night for Greece, where we would land and march overland and meet the galleys on the other side. We expected no problems from the Byzantine Empire, and we were in no small hurry, as a French messenger from Acre came and told us that to the East Mongolians were riding in from the Steppes and Erin wanted us to be well fortified against them when and if they reached the Holy Land.

"We sailed for two days by night, at day bringing the ships in to the land and camping ashore, so that if a storm came along the army would not be lost entirely.

"On the third night of sailing we came along rocks and cliffs, making it impossible to land, so we dropped anchor and tried to sleep, cramped as we were in those two galleys.

"As we tried to sleep, the watchout saw an Egyptian convoy in the distance. We hoped they were merchant vessels trading with the Byzantines, but there were five ships. All were heavily armed, and the crews were well armed as well. They had room to move on their ships, and were all experienced naval fighters.

"The fight was over quickly; I remember only bits of it, but when I awoke I was under the water and almost drowned on my way up to the top. Something must have hit me head, because I didn't remember anything after being rammed by one of their galleys.

"Fortunatley I had no armor on; the French drowned I imagine straight away in their heavy mail. I lost my sword, and came to the top of the water as the Egyptians turned their galleys around and left one of ours burning and the other nowhere to be seen.

"For a day I clung to a peice of wood with a few other Scotsmen. Erin was nowhere to be found, as the four or five of us floating tried desperatley to find him. My friend d'Bussy, a French Crusader, I found floating with a gash to his skull. He was alive at the time, but died shortly after telling me what he remembered. He had taken his armor off in Italy before boarding, and I wish his men had done the same. We may have still had a small crusade.

"Myself and the dozen or so survivors that wound up alive after the battle gathered together and made it to a spit of land that wasn't impassible cliffs on the Greek coast, and I was able to make it there with fourteen and myself. MacDougal was among them, my friend and son of the late diplomat.

"For the next few weeks we stayed in a fishing village that only spoke Greek. When we were well rested we thanked the fishermen who kept us as best we could, and set out. For three weeks we marched along the sea dressed as Greeks keeping our tartans hidden in case a Venetian army was in the area.

"We were hired on a German ship from Florence to make a three day voyage across to Italy, and we needed the pay and the food. Once in Italy, we displayed our crosses and our tartans once again and made a little trip to Rome. The Pope himself entertained us, and for a night we had nothing to do but be outfitted in the finest clothes available and eat and drink until our stomachs were full.

"After a weeks stay to fully nurse ourselves back to health, we joined a caravan of traders and an inquistor of the Church bound for France, where we witnessed the horrors of the English, Dane, and Milanese wars of conquest against France. We tied several men to stakes for burning for the Inquisitor, which MacDougal did under protest. However, they were Milanese Italians, true heretics, and after seeing dead French Children on the side of the road in their dead mother's arms we cared little for them.

"Finally we reached Paris, where the Inquisitor was to stay, and he gave us each a purse of 500 florins and a Papal decree for a free boat ride across the channel. We arrived in central England just above Nottingham Castle, and rode our fine new Italian horses here in three days.

"That, my lord, is the news. My fourteen men are all outside, and we humbly await your command."

King Edward was a strict authoritarian, known more for his iron fist and his ability to make men fear him than his kindness or mellow way of speaking. Indeed, some men wondered how such a soft-spoken man could so calmly order men to be executed, or yell and scream at his family or close friend then sit down and ask for forgiveness the next day. It was with no light heart Kennedy bowed before the King, both sad for the loss of so many friends, and the loss of the Crusade, but also with worry for the brave survivors he had brought back with him.

The King stood. "Kennedy," he spoke, in a voice gruff and unhappy, "You and your little army out there have, regardless of the loss of the crusade, done Scotland well. I am sending you at the head of a column to reinforce Oslo. My naval forces are blockading two Danish ports, and we have the Danes under a vice grip. You will head one hundred and twenty other nobles, two companies of pikemen, and forty of my knights and forty light cavalry from none other than your clan to Oslo to start and offensive against the Danes in Scandanavia. I am sending MacDougal as a diplomat to Russia to follow in his father's footsteps. A young priest will accompany you as well. Kill the Danes that stand in your way. Slaughter them, Kennedy. Wipe them off the face of the earth. If you do me well again, I will send you on my naval expedition to the Medditeranean in the next decade. You will have your vengence on Egypt, I swear it. Another Crusade will be called, or I will take it on myself to wage war on the Egyptians. Now send me the men with you. How many knights have you?"

"My king, I have no knights. They are all men of low class, serfs and free Highlanders of several Clans," Kennedy replied.

That night all of the men with Kennedy were knighted and given golden spurs. All were given lands and ordered to go wage war with the Danes, exept Sir MacDougal, who was, although knighted, sent with the expedition as a Diplomat to speak to Russia and the other Eastern nations.

The Pope's crusade was over. It had failed. But a new sun was to rise over the Scottish Powerhouse the next morning; once again, the Kindom of Scotland would be able to base its economic and military power in the North lands of the Vikings and Russians.

--------TO BE CONTINUED------------

*Clap* The transportation to the holy land is always harder then sacking the holy land /sigh

Great AAR though
    Last edited by Mythlacar; March 21, 2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Mythlacar View Post
    *Clap* The transportation to the holy land is always harder then sacking the holy land /sigh

Great AAR though
    ah I know. I guess teh AAR, based on this failed Crusade, will have to take a new direction. We'll see how it turns out.

King Edward was getting old. In fact, since the loss of the flower of his army at sea he was a weak old man, sickly and cenile.

His brother, Prince David, heir to the thrown, was only a few years his junior, and the family's huge, expensive war against the Danes was only getting worse.

Sir Kennedy was awaiting the ships taking his men to Denmark. Days passed, and no sign of the ships could be seen. Four ships were coming from Spain, where they had been busy blockading the Spanish in a stale, paper war. There had not been a battle against the Spanish in forty years, as the Moors were giving them enough problems in the south to worry with four small Scottish Vessels sent by the pope.

Six ships were blockading Danish ports in the North Sea. At York and Edinburgh, ships were being built to create an armada that Denmark would fear. As it was, Denmark had a massive naval force in the English Channel and word came to Edinburgh that England and Denmark would soon be calling a cease fire to their costly war.

King Edward had decided to head the campaign against the Danish Capitol himself. Kennedy was mildly dissapointed, but was encouraged by the huge number of reinforcements trickling daily into the camp he had established between York and Edinburgh. Hospitallers from Inverness, a new addition to the Scottish Armed forces, had even sent a contingent of troops to help with the coming campaign.

King Edward and Prince David were decided upon a campaign strategy, and called Kennedy to Edinburgh to discuss these plans.

The first wave of Scotsmen would land in Denmark and march to the capitol city. The second wave, under Prince David, would land as reinforcements and would march south to block any attempts to reinforce the capitol. A third army from Oslo would be under Kennedy's direct command, and he would lead them south into Sweden to clear the immense forests there of the Danish Army there.

After a week of this planning, Kennedy and the King recieved word that the armada of 10 ships was ready and anchored off the coast of Scotland awaiting the boarding of the army.

Kennedy took a final roll call of his troops before boarding a week later. 2 companies of Nobles, young men headed by the knights that were veterans of the Crusade. 1 company of Hospitallers, 2 of bachelor knights. (mailed knights.) Two companies of mercenary crossbowmen, two of Scottish Pikemen and one of heavy pikemen. Two companies of free highlanders finalized the roll sheet, and with this army Kennedy boarded the ships.

Morale was low enough already, England's relationship with Scotland was already suffering due to the King being old and his son wanting him dead. The looming peace with Denmark also added strain to the relationship.

As the King and his brother boarded the ships, everyone noticed the King was sicker than normal. Some said Pneumonia. Some said a disease from his many mistresses was ailing him. This was of no help to the Scottish army's morale on this occasion.

The King's death in the North Sea didn't help at all. Kennedy was shocked, and Prince David was crowned on the flagship en route to Denmark.

Finally the day came when Denmark's land could be seen. Kennedy made his preperations to land the first wave; however, he would be sailing north on one of the vessels in secret to take command of the Olso army. King David, in a last minute decision, decided to land the entire Army at once, and in two days the Scottish Camp was at full strength. Mercenaries offered their services, and were purchased by the new King.

A spy came to the camp on the third day ashore.

"My lord, I must see the king," he begged King David. "I am the king, now, man. Tell me what you can about the Danish Army here."

"My King," the man replied, "The army of Denmark at the capitol numbers only six hundred. Yesterday, five hundred marched this direction to find you and were joined by another hundred just outside the capitol. Your position here is untenable in case of attack. I do, however, know a place a day's march from here where you can ambush them. The road is in a small depression, flanked by shallow hills dense in forest. Your archers can fire on their flanks, and pikemen can block the escape of the cavalry. Your cavalry will be able to rush among the column and chop it to bits before they can react."

That night the army broke camp. Before daybreak the entire army was in the process of deploying their amuscade, and at noon the sound of marching feet was heard in the distance.

Kennedy's ship arrived at Olso late in the night. He rode quietly to the gates of the huge castle and met with the commander at once. In extreme secrecy, so that Danish Spies wouldn't discover the expedition, they met and discussed the war plans.

"Kennedy, no disrespect to the King, but if you take this many of my men I will be left with 200 men to defend this place. THat's not enough to guard the walls at night!"

"The King knows this. You are also ordered to commence the training of your replacements tomorrow. There are enough men here and in the region you control to replace the men you will lose."

"Alright Kennedy. But don't lose my men. I have worked forty years to build this place up to a strong fortress from the wooden disaster I took forty years ago. I am old, Kennedy, so mark my words if I live to see this castle fall, it will be on you."

"I understand, my lord."

The next day, Kennedy set out with five hundred and fifty of the eight hundred man garrison to scour the forests of Sweden.

King David laid in wait. The enemy were in sight, and were about to be rushed into a trap. They came on until they were right around the corner, and the Scottish horns blew. Pikemen ran out to block the road in front and rear of the column, and the nobles with broadswords came charging down to slice the enemy Huscarls to bits. Knights charged the rear of the column and flanked it, slaughtering the enemy bit by bit. No survivors were allowed to escape, the last man being cut down just before reaching a bunch of trees where the pursuing knights couldn't follow.

Of the enemy forces captured, none were of noble birth save the Huscarls. Denmark refused the ransom of 1100 florins, and King David slaughtered 120 prisoners. The Danish capitol was left undefended. King David besieged it, and took it in three days.

--------off to lunch will add Kennedy's expedition after lunch. Check back later.----------

Sorry for the lack of updates on this AAR. The Scottish Campaign ended on a bad note; I'll update the last battles soon.

--------------------Scandanavia: the Scot's final Chapter------------------

King David marched his army right up to the Danish Capitol. The small garrison was suprised, as no couriers had escaped to warn them of the Scottish victory. At once siege engines were constructed, and within three days the preparations for assault were in place. Rumors of a large Danish army just to the south were motivation enough for King David not to be lackluster in his siege of their capitol.

The army was prepared. ladders and two rams made up the engines of assault, and on the morning of the third day of the siege the attack began. The battle was short; the small garrison was obliterated within an hour, and for a day the Scots mopped up resistance in the city, slaying the Danish currs as they came out of hiding to try and win back their city. The garrison was wiped out, and at the end of the day 5,000 men of the city lay dead, knives, swords, and makeshift weapons in hand. Only a hundred Scotsmen were lost to death, and instantly work began to repair buildings essential to the maintenance of such an army. Mounted scouting parties rode south to procure much needed information as to the whereabouts of the Danish Home Guard armies, which were found to be across the North sea in the lands of the Swedes.

The campaign against the Danish capitol was over; holding it would be easy enough, as Kennedy was supposed to be pressing the Danes in Sweden and to the south the Holy Roman Empire and Denmark were at war.

Kennedy was in fact marching southwards at a slow but regular pace. The winter temperatures were hard to bear, and he and his men were two hundred miles into Danish controlled lands. They had been spotted by scouting parties, and knew it was only a matter of time until the Danes attacked.

Then, one morning, a battle presented itself. Two companies of town militia and a group of archers were waiting for the scots in a clearing on a hilltop surrounded by the dense forest. The only way to attack was straight up the side of the hill.

Kennedy spent an hour gathering intelligence. His scouts reported no enemy presence in the forests on the flanks; It was what appeared to be a delaying action on the part of the Danish King. Kennedy was determined not to allow this to be the case.

"MacGallowain," he called to one of his knights, "Take command of the cavalry. Lay in wait in those woods and wait for my signal. I will engage the highlanders and archers at once, and once they are pushing back the enemy nicely I will raise the tip of my lance as high as possible. Red, my squire, will put a torch tip on it, and when I light it and raise it attack with all possible speed on their right flank. We will send them reeling back to their villages in the hour."

The knight nodded silently, and spurring his horse signalled the cavalry to follow him.

The battle was short; the Highlanders engaged, and the Scot archers whittled the enemy flanks down so that the Danes were forced to bunch in the center. The enemy archers were falling back, when Kennedy's lance was set ablaze and held high. The thundering of horse hooves could be heard at once, and the cavalry smashed into the flanks, led by the knights and followed by the light cavalry. Then enemy fled; Light cavalry caught up to the archers, and killed them to a man. The militia was slaughtered, and surrendered with only ten men standing. Kennedy released them back to their homes and families, and allowed the wounded to be treated and released. The Scots suffered only ten casualties, and only three dead in the course of the battle.

From there Kennedy marched southward, wishing to secure the seaboard of any presence of Danish troops. A boat brought messengers bearing word of the capture of the Dane's capitol, and of the dispatch of a detachment of Highlander infantry sent to blockade the Dane ports in Sweden a week past. These men were sent under extreme secrecy, and had managed to make it eluding the Dane army in the region. They were to occupy the port for a period of three days, long enough to burn the stores there and any ships in port, and then march to reinforce Kennedy. The biggest word sent to Kennedy by the King was the presence of the Dane Army in between Oslo and the newly captured Capitol.

Kennedy decided to wait for the much-needed Highlanders to reinforce him before he pursued the enemy. They arrived a week later, and the same day brought news that Kennedy wouldn't have to go anywhere; the Danes were marching right for him. The Black guards he had released from his battle farther north hadn't gone home; they had alerted the Danes of his presence. Furthermore, his scouts said, he was outmatched and outnumbered by over five hundred men, well armored and well trained and seasoned from a century of conflict with the HRE.

Kennedy opted to sneak into the woods and ambush the Danes as they searched for him. This battle would be the pinnacle of his military career.

A days time went by. Nothing. The Scots waited, and scouts were dispatched to find the Danes. They were almost stagnant, the reports said. Finally, two days after taking his position in the woods, the Danes could be heard. The ambush was laid; Kennedy was ready.

Then the noise of horses high above in the hills behind him could be heard. They stopped, and Kennedy observed Dane light cavalry-observing him. The Ambush was comprimised. The Danes were attacking.

Kennedy withdrew at the double quick, and led his men deeper into the woods near where the earlier battle had taken place. The danes however knew the land better, and caught up to him that evening. There was no turning back now.

Kennedy was approached by his captains. "What are your orders, sire?"

Kennedy knew his men were tired. He was tired, and he knew that the Danes were itching to kill Scotsmen.

"Deploy the Archers to the front. Set fire to the arrows. Heavy cavalry in support, on both flanks, to be ready to cover a retreat. Heavy infantry will be deployed in two lines behind the archers, to engage the enemy. Spearmen on the flanks, supporting the cavalry. We will engage in this order;

"The archers will open fire at once, as soon as the enemy is in range. The Danes will try to attack them at once; let them charge the archers and we will cover them with the cavalry on the flanks. I will position myself directly behind the archers in the advent that the cavalry arrives too late.

"The archers will, under cover of the cavalry, retire behind the infantry and re-establish a firing position in support of the foot soldiers. The cavalry will then retire, and no doubt be pursued by the House-Carl's. The spearmen will engage them and support the cavalry's retirement; the cavalry will group en masse to counter attack the moment there is a weak spot or in case we have to cover the retirement of the army.

"Heavy infantry will engage the enemy, and we will hold them off as long as possible. Now to your stations, men, and may God protect us."

The battle was set, and within an hour the Danes attacked. Scottish pikemen held the flanks, and the first stages of the battle were off to a great start; the Dane archers were repulsed, and the heavy infantry were left unsupported to attack the Scotish archers.

The archers took the enemies lives away in droves; But the well disciplined House-carls on foot came on strong, and drove the Archers back. The cavalry moved up at a canter to support the archers' withdrawl. The first wave was beaten back.

Then came the Dane cavalry; not just House carls, but other heavy cavalry of various religious fanaticism. The Scot cavalry tried to fall back, but were caught up in the fight. Only a dozen were able to make it to the lines, and the chivalry of Denmark bore down on the whole line of infantry. Kennedy fell back to the lines, and tried to ignore the wounds sustained at the hands of the Danes.

The Scottish front line was decimated, and the second line charged without orders to try and save their comerades in the grip of the Danes. Kennedy knew the battle was lost; his loss of blood made him unable to command, and he fell from his horse.

The knight closest to him jumped down, and ripping his tunic, tied Kennedy's wound. Then he was put back on his horse, and led away by Red. Just as he was led away, the Danes broke the second line, and only a timely volley from teh archers bought Red enough time to get his master to safety.

The loss was grievous; of 700 men, only 300 managed to escape. The Danes led the prisoners away to a nearby hilltop, and there they were executed in a variety of ways; disembowlement, beheaded, limbs were chopped off and the torsos of brave men were left to bleed to death or die of shock, whichever merciful end came first. Kennedy's now lifeless body was led to Oslo, on his war horse, where he was buried. The remaining members of his army helped wall Oslo up for the coming seige, which never came.

Two years later, Kennedy's remains were dug up and carried by pilrims to the Holy Land, now held by Germans of the Holy Roman Empire; and there Kennedy was allowed to rest in peace, his promise from the King fullfilled at last.

Scotland held firm to Denmark Major, and Oslo. The Danish Army was anhialated by a joint Holy Roman and Scottish force a month after Kennedy was killed. Danish superiority was lost, a high price to pay for the Death of a Scottish Hero.

Denmark's new King sued for peace and made reparations to Scotland and the Holy Romans. Trade routes were now safe in the Northern sea, and once again Scotland was the economic powerhouse of the region; but more importantly, they were free from the turmoils of war, ensured by the military might of the few who died for many.