Thread: Unique faction playing styles

Default Unique faction playing styles

I had an interesting little Idea I thought I'd share wiht you all and see what the team would think of it.

Different factions should have different recruitment "Styles."

For example, the Spartans whould start out with a huge full army, make it as big as the Spartan army should be total, however in order to make a Spartan Hoplite unit it takes however many turns the Agoge would take. It was what, like 12 years? So 4tpy it should take 48 turns to recruit a new unit of Spartans. Sounds kind of ridiculous, I know, but it would really force the player to be VERY conservative in how they use their Spartans, and it will force them to rely on allies and mercs when they have the chance. They would in turn have very low upkeep, but be expensive to recruit. This will also help demonstrate the slow loss of manpower the Spartan army endured until it finally ceased to be a major power.

This style would be for factions that have elite standing armies. Tough, well trained units should be expensive to build and take a while to train, while militia style units whould be quick to train, inexpensive to build, but have ridiculously expensive upkeep. This would show how militia units are really only for the purpose create when you need them, disband them when your done, then call them up again when you need them again.

Just an idea, tell me what you all think.

Default Re: Unique faction playing styles

Like the idea, but dont think its possible.
    The actual recruitment then of the spartans, if the recruitment time is 48 turns, will block anyother recruitment at that city for the given time period wont it ?
    maybe if the elite unites where spawned automatically outside the recruitment phase, so they are not something that you can recruit but appear with intervals responding to how rare or how strong they are ?

Like the idea of the militia beíng cheap and fast to recruit, maybe even more than one unit pr turn pr city, but very expensive in upkeep, relating to the effect on the economy of keeping them in the field for a prolonged periopd of time.

I like how you want to represent it historically but wouldnt new spartans be born every year?

Yes I know, but it could be a way of representing the uniqueness and at the same time not clog the recruitment system/proces up.
    Just an idea

I think it should be something like 1 Homoioi per year or 2 years and more turns to get Hippeis. But not those exact numbers something like that.
    Q: How are you doing?
    A: Better than Michael Jackson.