Thread: Invitations

Default Invitations

This is just first draft to try and get things moving, would anyone else please amend and add their version below - or state if you think everyone should word invites individually - I'm going for some standardisations just so we remember to try and get answers to all the areas we need info on.:

Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,
    A committee has been set up at TWC to attempt to organise a symposium on modification leadership. This is a first informal approach to you to see if you might be interested in being a main 'speaker' at this symposium. We are initially looking for some idea of who the main speakers might be - when that is determined we hope to firm up details of how and when the symposium will be held, who other 'attendees' can be, and what infrastructure is required. Regardless of how the symposium is held, it is hoped that the information discussed will be summarised either in pod cast or written form and that that information will be available to the whole community including other sites*.

Please let me know if you think you can participate and if possible also give your preferences on the following points:

TOPICS

This is a very informal outline, when the actual topics are chosen, the speaker will have freedom to present the topic as he sees fit:

*Methods of team coordination: Different alternatives available, such as forums, email, instant messenger, voice, and the instances to utilize each one (what should be done via email, versus what should be posted on the forum, and how should team meetings be held (voice or text?). Pertinent issues include coordinating a team that is spread out geographically and linguistically.

* Recruitment: Where are the best places to find team members? How does one make a proper recruitment post? What attracts people to mods? How far in development should a mod be before seeking members?

* Handling Deadlines: How does a leader handle deadlines for work that is ultimately voluntary? How to handle chronic lateness? When should someone be removed for inattendence/negligence?

* Optimal team sizes and responsibilities: How many is too many? What about members who work for various mods? How many members is too few? Finding ways to "trim the fat." Finding ways to "bulk up" and jobs for the less skilled.

* Incentives/punishments: How to handle rewards for over-performing members, and deal with under-performers or inactive members?

* Software handling: The best way of coordinating the versions of software, art files, text files, etc. How to distribute files publically/privately, etc.

* Beta testing: Can it ever be handled totally within mod team? If not, is public or private beta testing preferable? How should any additional beta testers be recruited and managed?

* Team Mutiny: What happens when team members are angry or upset? Who should replace you as leader, or should you keep the reigns? Is there any inherent ownership entitled to the progenitor of the mod/idea?

* Handling Public Relations: Organizing previews, team interviews, different mediums/methods of getting people thinking about your modification project, etc

* Setting up team forums and/or website: Forum software options, and how to/should one recruit a super-fan as a moderator/admin, how to find webmasters, etc. What should be included on the website, what makes a good website, sample websites, and working within your limits (ie, not drawing away from mod work to work on website). The good appearance tradeoff with the amount of work involved.

* Intermod coordination: Coordinating shared projects between mods for mutual benefit (ie Mod A allows Mod B their animations, Mod B allows in return allows Mod A unit models or Mod A and B collaborate on one aspect of a project.)
    Please let me know if you have any preference for speaking on any of the subjects listed or if you would like to propose another topic relating to modification leadership.

SYMPOSIUM DATES & TIMES:

It has been proposed to hold the symposium if possible during the two or three weeks proceeding Easter (ending April 20 or 27). Would that suit you and could you please list any specific dates you are not available?

Also in-case a 'live' method of discussion is proposed, please could you let me know what time zone you are in and when would be convenient time of day for you?

HOW SYMPOSIUM IS HELD:
    The following possible methods have been mentioned:
    * Audio Podcast
    * Video Podcast
    * Teleconference/VOIP (Skype or Ventrillo)
    * mIRC Chat
    * MSN Chat
    * Forum Thread
    Please would you state your personal preference for;
    a). giving an initial speech via.? and
    b). being involved in subsequent discussion within?

Sorry that was a bit lengthy, thank you for your time and consideration.
    Regards
    xxxxxxx
    Obviously personal bits would be altered by whoever sends invite, I'm just wondering if we can get questions we need to ask standardised. Topics are taken from where I think the thread on that got to. I didn't put much info in about infrastructure as conclusions so far seem to be it's just down to speakers preferences initially.

*The aspect of sharing final info with other sites hasn't been discussed, but I think it would be show of good faith and perhaps useful in recruiting speakers who might largely be based elsewhere.

EDIT: forgot to say the initial paragraph could do with being more eloquent description of the concept behind the symposium to get people interested.... err, prof?

Civitate

Default Re: Invitations

*The aspect of sharing final info with other sites hasn't been discussed, but I think it would be show of good faith and perhaps useful in recruiting speakers who might largely be based elsewhere.
    Well, I am not so sure about this, really. What benefits would it have?
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Looks good. Could possibly be trimmed a bit (people tend to shy away from long statements) but the basic gist of it is good.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

Well, I am not so sure about this, really. What benefits would it have?
    There could be a bit of my personal agenda creeping in there as I'd like to see more co-operation between sites. Some of the speaker suggestions especially (but not exclusively) mine tend to be mainly based on other sites & I thought that could also encourage them to participate. I'm not 100% fixed on idea as anyone can always just link to things anyway.....
    Looks good. Could possibly be trimmed a bit (people tend to shy away from long statements) but the basic gist of it is good.
    Umm yeah, volunteers to amend gratefully accepted . The longest bit is topic description, we could possibly do more complete (even longer version?) here in relevant thread that we can post 'show single post' link to and give shortened summary in invite thread.

Still think it might need a bit more salesmanship to promote the overall idea though.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    There could be a bit of my personal agenda creeping in there as I'd like to see more co-operation between sites. Some of the speaker suggestions especially (but not exclusively) mine tend to be mainly based on other sites & I thought that could also encourage them to participate. I'm not 100% fixed on idea as anyone can always just link to things anyway.....
    Well, thats fine, I suppose you are right, more co-operation, between, say, the dot org and here would do no harm, I suppose. My main concern is that some people may get pissed because we are allowing almost non TW participants into the Curia.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Sorry I've wandered this slightly off the thread topic but it needs addressing somewhere:
    Well, thats fine, I suppose you are right, more co-operation, between, say, the dot org and here would do no harm, I suppose. My main concern is that some people may get pissed because we are allowing almost non TW participants into the Curia.
    I had assumed if this project (the actual symposium not the committee) did turn out to be largely forum based it would be somewhere in TWC structure, but probably within new TW and modding community forums, and not the curia where it would have little relevance. So anyone's citizen status etc shouldn't be relevant though a log on would be needed.

(I'm also assuming we arrange things with speakers largely by pm, or other personal contact, rather than inviting them to post directly into this committee - though I could have wrong end of stick on that.)

As to whether having any largely non-TWC speakers or participants would cause resentment - that would depend on who we think is doing who a favour. Most modders I talk to about anything seem to be rather swamped with work and in need of at least some persuasion to get involved in 'outside' projects, so I'd personally be quite grateful to any experienced modders amongst non-TWC regulars who did agree to host topics...

DP: A woman's right to change her mind and all that....

On second thoughts we should probably avoid raising issue of how final info is shared, even if we agree with idea we probably don't have power to dictate it, and raising issue could just add unnecessary controversy.

We can say we 'hope symposium will be of benefit to whole modding community' or something which I think we all mean quite genuinely but isn't imposing any specific mechanism.

One thing I did miss saying is we need to explain that to some extent responses will be compiled / reported to committee - so we need to ask permission to quote responses, or allow people to say specifically if they want reply kept private.

If anyone fancies doing more concise attempt, twould be great.....

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I had assumed if this project (the actual symposium not the committee) did turn out to be largely forum based it would be somewhere in TWC structure, but probably within new TW and modding community forums, and not the curia where it would have little relevance. So anyone's citizen status etc shouldn't be relevant though a log on would be needed.

(I'm also assuming we arrange things with speakers largely by pm, or other personal contact, rather than inviting them to post directly into this committee - though I could have wrong end of stick on that.)
    Let me say that we coincide in our views on these issues.

As to whether having any largely non-TWC speakers or participants would cause resentment - that would depend on who we think is doing who a favour. Most modders I talk to about anything seem to be rather swamped with work and in need of at least some persuasion to get involved in 'outside' projects, so I'd personally be quite grateful to any experienced modders amongst non-TWC regulars who did agree to host topics...
    Limiting this to TWC was never intended and would run very counter to my initial reasoning and decision to set up the Symposium in the first place.

Anyway, let's set a deadline to start sending out whatever invitation we have come up with, starting this Wednesday?
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

A deadline inc. possibly Wednesday sounds good, would committee members please respond if they are available to help PM possible speakers and also to confirm if current suggestions meet with their approval:

Second attempt at suggested invite:
    Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,
    I am part of a committee at TWC which is proposing a symposium on modification leadership. It is hoped that this will benefit the whole modding community by sharing, refining and expanding on the vast amount of knowledge that already exists in this field.

This is an informal approach to see if you might be interested in being a main 'speaker' at such a symposium. Exact details of how and when the symposium will be held, who other 'attendees' can be, and what infrastructure is required, will be determined in accordance with the volunteer speakers wishes as far as possible. Invitations to speakers will be primarily aimed at experienced mod leaders, but other modders with co-ordination roles within mod teams are also being contacted - if you think someone else in your team would be a potential 'speaker' please let me know.

Suggestions for topics include:
    * Methods of team coordination
    * Recruitment
    * Handling Deadlines
    * Optimal team sizes and responsibilities
    * Incentives/punishments
    * Software handling
    * Beta testing
    * Team Mutiny
    * Handling Public Relations
    * Setting up team forums and/or website
    * Intermod coordination
    please see here for more details on the above topics.

The following methods of holding symposium are being considered:
    * Audio Podcast
    * Video Podcast
    * mIRC Chat
    * MSN Chat
    * Forum Thread
    Please would you state your personal preference for;
    a). giving an initial speech
    and
    b). method for subsequent discussion
    Also in-case a 'live' method of discussion is proposed, please could you let me know what time zone you are in and when would be convenient time of day for you?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Regards
    xxxxxxx

Will spell check when I get home:

Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,
    I am a member of a committee at TWC which is organizing a symposium on Modification Leadership. It is hoped that this will benefit the whole modding community by sharing, refining, and expanding on the vast amount of knowledge and experience that already exists in this field.

This is an informal query to see if you might be interested in hosting a conference or being a "speaker" at the symposium. Invitations for speakers are aimed primarily at experienced mod leaders, but feel free to pass on this invitation on to a member of your team who you feel is qualified if you think they would make a good "host."

Attendees should include any modders from hosted mods at TWC and/or the ORG.

Suggested topics for seminars include:
    * Methods of team coordination
    * Recruitment
    * Handling Deadlines
    * Optimal team sizes and responsibilities
    * Incentives/punishments
    * Software handling
    * Beta testing
    * Team Mutiny
    * Handling Public Relations
    * Setting up team forums and/or website
    * Intermod coordination
    You can find a full description of each topic here. If you have a topic not listed here that you are interested in, do not hesitate to suggest it.

The committee has come up with the following methods to host a conference or seminar:
    * Audio Podcast
    * Video Podcast
    * mIRC Chat
    * MSN Chat
    * Forum Thread

The Symposium is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 8th, and run until the 20th or 27th of April. You can schedule your conference for any time and date that suits your schedule.

We ask that you tell us the following:
    Primary Topic of Interest:
    Secondary Topic of Interest:
    Preferred Methods of Hosting:
    World Location/Time Zone:
    Tentative Preferred Dates for Seminar:

Thank you for your time and consideration. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.
    Regards
    xxxxxxx
    EDIT: I will also ask Lusted if he'd be interested in send out some invites, we should try and get the most high-profile people we can to promote.

EDIT2: Changed a couple words, consider this fine to send out.
    Last edited by Professor420; March 21, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.