Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: City Mod

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default City Mod

City Mod
    Version 5.1

The 'city mod' is a minimod based on the limitation of city size growth. Because of numerable hardcodings concerning population growth within RTW the only way of effectively stopping city growth is to cap certain cities at certain levels. In this minimod, not many cities can get the 'large' size and only a hand full can reach the 'huge' size. This mod does tend to favour factions that are settled and restricts the steppe factions.

Other than restricting city sizes, I have also added various other modifications that will help to slow city growth. There are also a few unrelated adjustments and modifications to the game such as the removal of roads in certain areas.

I have (will) created two versions of this mod. One (version "a") is the standard version that simple restricts the size of cities for all factions. The second one (version "b") is the Hellenization/Romanization version. In this version, the "barbarian" and steppe factions cannot get over the 'large town' size of settlement. This allows for "civilized" factions to conquer barbarians and upgrade the towns to Hellenic/Roman settlement to represent Hellenization/Romanization of the the populace. This version is admitantly unfair to the "barbarian" factions and shouldn't be played with those factions.

Features:
    Version 5.1a
    -Restriction of city sizes
    -Removal or reduction of some growth bonuses on buildings
    -Removal of the ability to build roads in some places
    -Law bonuses for the Academy structures

Download:(Version "a")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2204

Features:
    Version 5.1b
    -Restricted the construction of 'city', 'large city', and 'huge city' to "civilized" factions

Download:(Version "b")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2205

Install:
    Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files. This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.

Uninstall:
    To uninstall this minimod, you'll have to reinstall EB or have backed up your files before downloading. To go from version "b" to version "a" just install one version over the other.

Please post feedback, advice, comments, or suggestions.

Older versions:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    City Mod
    Version 4.0

Here is the City Mod for EB v1.1. I completely redid the mod from scratch, so a few things may be different. The main basis of this mod is to limit the city sizes so that not just any city can become huge. Only Roma, Athenai, Alexandreia, Seleukeia, and Kart-Hadast can reach the huge size, with a handfull of cities that can reach the large city size. And there are a few settlements that can't even reach the minor city size.

Features:
    Version 4.0a

Download:(Version "a")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1941

Version 4.0b : The Romanization/Hellenization Version
    -Version 4.0a, but with one change
    -Barbarian/Steppe cultures cannot build settlements beyond the Large Town Level, allowing you to Romanize/Hellenize their cities after capturing them. (This will make the barbarians a bit weaker and is not too historically fair, but it will prevent you from having an empire of tiny hut circles as the Romans.)(If you play this version then wish to switch back to the "a" version, delete the descr_cultures.txt and rename the original descr_cultures.txt (included in download). Then reinstall version "a" of the CityMod over version "b".)

Download:(Version "b")

Install:(for both versions)
    Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files.

-This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.
    -It also includes a file that will save over the map.rwm that the trivial script replaces every time you start the game, so that it will work whether you are using the trivial script or not.
    -If you have Windows Vista and have installed RTW & EB into a subdirectory of the "Program Files" directory, you will not be able to install this minimod.

Version 3.2 for EB v1.0:
    [spoil]City Mod
    Version 3.2

Once again, here is my minimod for EB: City Mod v3.2 for EB v1.0. This mod limits city sizes, decreases some aspects of population growth, and increases some of the bonuses in order to help out cities with large populations that cannot upgrade. This is just the base version and doesn't include too many changes like my old versions did.

Features:
    Version 3.0
    Limited City Sizes
    Decreased Population Growth bonuses on buildings
    Increased possitive effects on some buildings (including Law on education buildings)
    Took away the ability to build some roads in some areas
    [only the export_descr_buildings.txt and descr_regions.txt have been altered]
    Version 3.1
    One slight change to allow the "March of Time" event
    Version 3.2
    Integrated bovi's Pahlav fix so that Pahlav can get their highest level of MIC (all other fixes can be added on top of this minimod)

Download:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1771

Install:
    Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files. This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.

Old first post:
    City Mod
    Version 2.1

I've always thought that some cities should be limited in size. It doesn't always make sense that every city can be as big as and have the same buildings as Rome or Alexandria. I've never played the RTR Metropolis Mod, but this is similar.

I used cunctator's First Cohort mod as a base for this mod as to remove conflicts in the two mods. This can be installed ontop of the First Cohort mod, but it also includes the First Cohort mod and doesn't not require it. It thus includes all of the features of the First Cohort mod as a base.

Features:
    1.0:
    -City sizes are restricted in most places with few being able to reach 'huge'.
    -Some buildings availabilty have been changed.
    -Population growth decreased (mostly by removing most growth bonuses on buildings).
    -Stone walls in less places (wooden still available everywhere).
    -Roads available in less places (please post objections).
    -cunctator's First Cohort aspects.
    1.1:
    -Improved CTD fix posted by Kull (0.81b)
    -Saba & Hai health structures
    2.0:
    -Completely redone from "v0.81a v2"&FCv1.3 base
    -Roman Reforms altered
    -Dynamic Celtic Reforms
    ---requirements:
    -----First: Conquer all of Gaul or Britain & be at least 250BC
    -----Second: Complete your faction's victory conditions & be at least 200BC
    -----Old static conditions still remain as well
    -Nisa mine fixed
    -Population growth traits reworked
    -Personal security traits reworked
    -Imperator trait reworked
    -Building bonuses reworked (again)
    2.1:
    -Taras change
    -Slightly altered The Errant's money script & population replenishment changes added
    ---(Special thanks to The Errant and mlp071)

Install instructions:
    -Have a clean install of EB 0.81a or First Cohorts Mod 1.3
    -Download the file
    -Extract the download to "...\Rome - Total War\"
    -Delete the "map.rwm" from the "...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base" folder
    -Play

Download:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1419

I'd also like to add, anyone who is willing, feed back is appreciated. General feedback plus specifics: Roman Expansion, Population Growth, and [].[/spoil]
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; November 29, 2008 at 04:29 PM.

Citizen

Default Re: City Mod

Updated to Version 1.1

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Hi Marcus,I have downloaded and installed your mod(complete)version no problems.It has really changed the game,slowed down the AI from grabbing every region before your own faction gets going.I am playing the romans for my first campaign on H\M on the BI version and enjoying it.First time that I have had a town besieged by the rebels\slaves.many thanks magpie.

Citizen

Updated to Version 2.0

Citizen

Updated to Version 2.1

Citizen

*shameless bump since this fell to the second page*

Hi! is there any city mods that are for non BI users and that does not alter anything futher than size of the cities? And in what consists the money script changes? Sorry to ask, but I have not found any references though I know they exists somewhere!

Citizen

This minimod is for v1.5 and does not require BI. All of the changes, besides the First Cohort Mod and the Reform changes are related to city size. All the changes I made were so that city's restricted in size wouldn't become unmanagable. The First Cohort mod doesn't conflict with anything, and if you don't want the Reform changes or want to implement a money script, you can save over the script changes without any problem.

That is good I shall try this City mod now, as far as I understood it was designed to BI and had a lot of mini modifications packed togheter, I love EB and want to see the tweks people designed, but I am too afraid of changing too much the game. Recently I had new Elephants and Sinhuets dowloaded but only after seeing they would not change EB basics, now I shall try them with City mod, Thanks again

Citizen

Updated to Version 3.0 for EB Version 1.0.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!THANK YOU! You won't believe how much I really cannot enjoy EB without this mod.

It adds such a sense of realism (I mean, really, was Taras, Capua, or any city in lower Gaul ever as big or nice as Rome, Alexandria, Carthage, etc?); why have they never thought of implementing this into the original EB?

Citizen

Thanks! Enjoy the mod.

This isn't implemented into EB because the team feels it removes some options for recreating history in an alternate way: If a power that historically was weak and was wiped out instead, in your campaign, became a superpower then they may have built huge cities in their core areas unlike what happened historically.

Citizen

Updated to Version 3.1
    (tiny change)

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

Is this save game compatable? I have a KH campaign and I'm only a few years in, but I've amde excellent progress and don't want to lose it.

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Citizen

Yeah, it should be save-game compatible.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but could someone please give step by step instructions of how to get this mod to work?
    "Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them made"- Otto von Bismarck

Citizen

It seems I forgot to update this thread with my last update. Check the first post for a new version. (There is only one small change.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich von Sachsen View Post
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but could someone please give step by step instructions of how to get this mod to work?
    Open the file with compressor/extractor program, such as WinRAR (google it for more info). Then just choose to extract it to your "Rome - Total War" folder (depending on what version of RTW you have that may be in many different places) and it should work.

Thanks
    "Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them made"- Otto von Bismarck

Is this compatible with some of the other mods to EB? Like Cirdan's tweaks or Fanatic's unit fixes?

Citizen

I'm not sure what is involved in those minimods, but if they change buildings or the map at all, no.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast