Thread: Campaign AI balanced?

Default Campaign AI balanced?

Hi all - First time poster to this thread and just want to say thank-you for the hard work on the Long Road - this should be closer to what CA should have released!

In general, I'm getting used to it pretty quickly - coming from DarthMod's cash-rich campaign I'm finding that I must become a much more strategic thinker in my construction queues - very fun.

However, I'm also having trouble getting used to the campaign AI. Playing Denmark I'd maintained good relationships with my immediate neighbors and the Pope, allying with the HRE. I'd also taken 1/2 of Ireland when the Scots got into a border dispute with me and next turn I find myself at war with 9 different countries. Investigating, I see the AI allies with other AI players at the drop of a hat and does not want to declare peace with you.

How do other players deal with this?

Maybe I'll try again as Byzantium - at least there I'll expect to be at war with everyone all the time....
    ...and for what glory will they be able to praise me on the day when I am made a knight, if my sword has not been dipped to the hilt in the blood of infidels?
    -Infante Dom Henrique, 1415AD

Default Re: Campaign AI balanced?

The AI does love to make alliances, and having a war with one of them will make all its allies hate you too.

There are two ways around this. First is to own the Papacy. Playing as Denmark (or really any faction), the third building I make in each town, after roads and basic farms, is a small church. As soon as I can start making more priests with these, I choose one town will be my priesty producer, usually Arhus itself, from where I'll build all my priests so I'll eventually be offered a theologian's guild there. Then I send all my priests east, by ship for on foot) to Novgorod and on east and southeast. I convert, convert, convert to get cardinals and own the Papacy. Then when some other Catholic faction gets frisky, they'll be told to lay off or get excommunicated. If they do get ex-commed, then I can go after them with impunity. Their allies are less likely to also declare war on you also.

The second strategy is to choose where you'll be expanding and ally with the neighbor of your eventual target. Using your experience with Scotland as an example, with England to keep Scotland honest. However, as Denmark, one of the win conditions is to own York and London, I think. So instead, I'd ally with the HRE first to keep them off my back, maybe also Poland to keep the HRE honest. Then ally with Scotland, since I'll eventually be going to war with England over their cities. I also like to ally with the French. Not because I want them as allies, but because the French princesses have the most charm and thus make the best, most fertile, wives for my princes.

Thanks for the tips - DarthMod goes for all-out carnage and downplays the politics bit - especially the Pope. I guess my Diplomats and my money are going to Italy...
    ...and for what glory will they be able to praise me on the day when I am made a knight, if my sword has not been dipped to the hilt in the blood of infidels?
    -Infante Dom Henrique, 1415AD

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Good relations with the pope are key... while playing Denmark the HRE attacked three of my cities simultaneosly with about 1 1/2 stacks per city. I was scared @#$$#@ because my army was off conquering Ireland, and I had nothing but militia and cheap calvary to hold them off... Then, the next turn, they abandoned their well coordinated blitzkrieg and I made a formal peace agreement 2 turns later. The key was that I was the pope's favorite, and the HRE got a desist order from him. Coincidently that army in Ireland was abusing the "crusade" function to avoid upkeep costs, and get me a much needed boost in papal standing. So, as the previous poster suggested, own the papacy, or at least make good friends with them..