Thread: Medieval & Shogun TW starting questions

Default Medieval & Shogun TW starting questions

I recently bought Medieval I and Shogun TW, both gold edition, after good experiances with RTW. The view is total different from more recent games, but if I can get used to the controls, it looks like a good game.
    but here lies the problem, I can't get something done:

Merging unit into one army.
    Engaging the attacking, not on the battle map.
    Using diplomats and princesses.

Merging units: sometimes I can manage it, mostly not. Even if none of both armies moved I won't get them together.

Attacking: I can invade a country, but how do you start the battle? I only can fight by moving my army in their territory, pressing end turn and hoping they want to attack.

Diplomats: I can use them to bribe someone, but how do you use them to for alliances, trading,....

Princesses how do you marry them to other royals?

Stupid questions, but I'm really in need for some help.
    Last edited by lsteve; March 11, 2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: altering title

Spart's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Medieval & Shogun TW starting questions

Merging units: sometimes I can manage it, mostly not. Even if none of both armies moved I won't get them together.
    Do you mean merging units into stacks? If you have many stacks in a same province, and none of them has moved in during the current turn, you can merge them by dropping them on top of each other. If a stack has moved in just during that turn, they can't yet merge with others.

Attacking: I can invade a country, but how do you start the battle? I only can fight by moving my army in their territory, pressing end turn and hoping they want to attack.
    That's how it works, hostile armies inside the same province will fight at the end of the turn, assuming that the defender doesn't choose to retreat.

Diplomats: I can use them to bribe someone, but how do you use them to for alliances, trading,....
    To form an alliance, send your diplomat to negotiate with the enemy king. Same thing with the ceasefire. You don't use emissaries for trading in Medieval, you'll just have to form a line of ships into the port you want to trade from. The more ports your navy can cover, the better. It's a bit different from Rome and M2, yeah.

Princesses how do you marry them to other royals?
    Just drop them on top of the bachelor you want to marry.

Ahh, the memories.. Hope I got it all right.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Well, I'm kinda returning player to MTW, but more of a new one (once a while ago, I borrowed it from a mate, tried it, but it didn't catch me, but now I've got it with Eras, and I like playing it a lot), and I need info on something. Why is it that my ships can't sail to certain regions of the sea??? P.e. playing with Sicily, I can't place any vessels in the Western Mediterranean, or anything to the West of it. On the other hand, my bishop could easily reach Tunisia without a ship in every region between Sicily and that. It seems strange to me.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Spart's Avatar Senator

Ships do need other ships to advance, bishops and emissaries can walk on the water. Oh, and I think there has to be a port in the destination province.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Thanks for the reply!
    And as for the ships, that's my bad, as I've forgotten they were only Galleys, which can only sail coastal waters...

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

MTW and STW can be confusing to learn after playing RTW