Thread: Taking the Pope's Possy

Default Taking the Pope's Possy

I've always wondered what happens when you openly kill the pope, I mean i know all the catholic factions come after you but is that it? Is there like an end to the pope, a special event, or what?
    The pleasure about a dream is that it's a fantasy. If it ever came real then it wasn't a dream.

Default Re: Taking the Pope's Possy

There's just a new pope elected, and they relocate. If they have no settlements I believe he just wanders around at the head of an army.

You can't be rid of the Pope entirely.

"I am what the Gods have made me!"

WOW, what would make you want to destroy the pope. Just Wrong.
    I eat because I'm Unhappy
    I'm Unhappy because I eat; It's a Vicious Cycle

mrcrusty's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mikey View Post
    WOW, what would make you want to destroy the pope. Just Wrong.
    Being the Byzantines and needing Rome to win is a pretty good reason...

Same goes for H.R.E, France and probably half the Christian factions too.... so... when it comes down to it, most of the factions would want to destroy the papacy

But actually, ive been wonderin the same thing, im around the time in my Byzantine campaign where im looking to take Mainland Italy & Sicily before going back to the Holy Land.

I did Kill the Pope. I didn't want to do it, but he just kept attacking me when I became the number 1 world power. Anyway, as others mentioned another Pope gets reelected (of course it is not one of my men). So, I then took Rome. He eventually called a crusade against me in Rome, but I defeated 7 or so armies sent against me and the crusade ran out. The Pope now has little power. By having my enemies lauch crusades against me to please the Pope they were weakened which is helping me crush the Danes, Portugal and Poland. France and HRE are gone. I am also crushing the Moors, allied with the English, Egyptians, Turks and B'zytines. I find it hard to keep the Pope happy for long. I might see what happens if I give Rome back...

I have killed 7 different popes with england with all the crusades and wars i became the only christian faction, so I gave the pope cagilari (the island near genoa) in exchange for reconciliation and then i just ignored him and did is missions.

Hmm... I've been too big of a coward to openly attack Rome on any of my campaigns thus far. However on my current HRE campaign, I must do it eventually.

Is there'a cut off period after you take Rome or is the Pope eternally pissed at you? Such as if the current Pope calls a crusade on Rome to take it back, you assassinate him (or a "he trips down the stairs and breaks his neck" type accident occurs), does the new Pope reconcile with you or is a bigger problem?

I hate the Pope, but I'm so scared of him.

Stack the College of Cardinals with your priests. Give the Pope some random territory somewhere (preferably an island out of the way somewhere).

Wait for the Pope to die of natural causes and the Cardinal Election screen to pop up.

Do NOT vote yet. Leave the window open and have your army attack and sack Rome in that one turn (hope your spies open the gates).

After taking Rome, elect the new pope through the elections, even if you're excommunicated. Now you should have Rome, the pope should appear in his own island, and you should be reconciled.

What if you don't give him a province? I'd prefer the Pope to roam around the world after beating defeated. Exile if you will.

Lol nothing is cooler than Pope Island. . . gota think of some new name, give him that really tiny one towards the north off the southern coast of France. Rename it something really ****** lol.
    The pleasure about a dream is that it's a fantasy. If it ever came real then it wasn't a dream.

Taking Rome really ruptures diplomatic action with the Pope. Nonetheless while immediate reconciliation is quite difficult the good old tribute for a while, placating him with some other territories (give him island best before taking Rome) should reconcile the Pope faction after a while, latest when a new pope is elected.

Building cathedrals later in the game and the occasional crusade just makes the Pope happy. In my HRE campaign the Pope has actually forgotten that he is supposed to be in Rome. Florence seems nicer to him.
    If you are not living on the edge you occupy too much space !

When I get into to Italy and spend all my money on troops I might ransom him once or twice

Quote Originally Posted by The Real El Cid View Post
    When I get into to Italy and spend all my money on troops I might ransom him once or twice
    Wow how much and who pays it?

Does the Pope stop appearing if you wipe out all of the Catholic factions?

In one of my campaigns I gave him a territory that had a ton of enemy in it...hehe their standing lowered.

I wonder what happens if you are the only catholic faction and you don't have any priest...
    As armas e os barões assinalados...

Que, da Ocidental praia Lusitana,
    Por mares nunca dantes navegados
    Passaram ainda além da Taprobana,
    Em perigos e guerras esforçados
    Mais do que prometia a força humana
    E entre gente remota edificaram
    Novo Reino, que tanto sublimaram.
    Luís de Camões - "Os Lusíadas",Canto I

Check Out My Legendary Songs Topic, 1 New Song Everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Dk the Honourable View Post
    I wonder what happens if you are the only catholic faction and you don't have any priest...
    No more popes?

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Default Taking the Pope's Life

It is a good feeling if get away with killing the Pope while he is your ally. The war, if you should fail, is temporary unless your enemy gets a Pope in next.