Thread: Orthodox Patriarchs

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Default Orthodox Patriarchs

Why is Constantinople the only city with a Patriarch? Before the Muslims invaded the Middle East, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome, and Constantinople were the five main patriarchates. Could you add a Patriarch retinue for the other three cities too? (only for Byzantines of course) I thought the current one was pretty cool and adding more would help the Byzantine's lack of Cardinals imo. Do you think you could duplicate the current one for the other three (or four if you include Rome) cities?

Default Re: Orthodox Patriarchs

What do you mean exactly with patriarch? Does even constantinople has a patriarch title (?). I think the title of constantinople is Duke or Despot or something like that...
    Well, it's a good suggestion with the patriarchates, and I could make some titles for it, but is this what you meant with it?

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

I mean for the first bishop you build out of Constantinople. He gets the Patriarch retinue which will either give +2 piety & +5% movement or -4 piety and +5% movement. I just wish you could do the same for Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem.

Ahh ok... I think that won't be hard to make and it seems to be historically accurate, so I probably will make that.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Well actually the Patriarchate of Antioch was moved to Damascus in the 13th century...

Quote Originally Posted by student23 View Post
    Well actually the Patriarchate of Antioch was moved to Damascus in the 13th century...
    True, but M2 is about changing history. If the Byzantines managed to recapture Antioch and hold it, I'm sure the patriarch would have stayed for longer.

Sounds like an excellent idea. I'm sure it will please Orthodox people like myself. By the way, the patriarchs still exist with the ECumenical Patriarch still in Constantinople this day and the {Pope remains in Rome.

SickBoy13's Avatar Ordinarius

Echmadzin also had a Patriarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifix View Post
    True, but M2 is about changing history. If the Byzantines managed to recapture Antioch and hold it, I'm sure the patriarch would have stayed for longer.
    Of course, historical accuracy was not my point at all. I just thought why not put one to Damascus as well?! Also, when I remember correctly, there were several patriarchs in the Balkan region, were there not?! Or was that a different kind of Orthodoxy?

I'm also liking the idea with new patriarchates. So, I think I will make new patriarchs for Jerusalem, Alexandria, Antioch and probably Damaskus, hopefully with some interesting bonuses...

Thanks for all suggestions!

@Sick boy
    Unfortunately, Echmadzin isn't on the map

Quote Originally Posted by student23 View Post
    Of course, historical accuracy was not my point at all. I just thought why not put one to Damascus as well?! Also, when I remember correctly, there were several patriarchs in the Balkan region, were there not?! Or was that a different kind of Orthodoxy?
    I guess he could, he could also put one in Kiev for the Russians. I just didn't want to overload King with hundreds of patriarch requests. In my opinion, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, and Constantinople should definately be in, then maybe Damascus and Kiev or something. I'm just glad you guys liked my idea.

Hi Crucifix

I've just recognized from the character trait triggers, that the Byzantines theoretically can get the Patriarch trait in every city with a cathedral and not only in Constantinople...
    Therfore, I think, I will probably change that, so that the Patriarch trait requires the ownership of a specific city, for example Jerusalem, Alexandria, Antioch and Damaskus. Then it would also be no problem to make one for the Russians in Kiev...
    So, I hope this will be more historically accurate...
    Last edited by King Kong; March 17, 2007 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Hi Crucifix

I've just recognized from the character trait triggers, that the Byzantines theoretically can get the Patriarch trait in every city with a cathedral and not only in Constantinople...
    Therfore, I think, I will probably change that, so that the Patriarch trait requires the ownership of a specific city, for example Jerusalem, Alexandria, Antioch and Damaskus. Then it would also be no problem to make one for the Russians in Kiev...
    So, I hope this will be more historically accurate...
    Cool, I can't wait

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

If I remember right, in 1080 the only Patriarchs were still the original five, Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria.

As someone said, Damascus wasn't to have one to later, and I think he was still called the Patriarch of Damascus, Kiev was an Archbishopric.

I would only give Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria Patriarchs, and slightly less good traits than Constantinople, instead of 10% piety, have 7% piety or so.