Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [OLD] The Challenge Thread

Default Re: The challenge thread.

Actually agnostic doesnt mean "dont know", in the sense of being undecided.
    Actualy, yes it does, it means:
    "The idea that we dont know, and we wont know."
    Which is being undecided
    Which is how I feel about religion, I think theres a god but no one has it right.
    Agnosticism has nothing to do with religion, it is purely a belief, rather then institution system. You sir are a Theist or Deist, neither of which can be Agnostic

Besides, how do you argue faith?
    You can argue the rationality of certain aspects of faith, and you can argue the effects, causes, and conclusions of faith. You can debate its morals and its laws

Anyone here actually looking for an historical debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Setarcos Aneist View Post
    Actualy, yes it does, it means:
    "The idea that we dont know, and we wont know."
    Which is being undecided
    No, the idea that we dont know and wont know isnt undecided. Its the idea of those two facts.

They are very similar, being undecided and knowing that we wont know, which I can only differentiate between the two that one is a state of confusion.

Agnosticism has nothing to do with religion, it is purely a belief, rather then institution system. You sir are a Theist or Deist, neither of which can be Agnostic
    Is religion not a belief?
    Besides, agnosticism is a belief about religion. And taking a look back, I would consider myself a theist with the belief in God, but I hold a agnostic point of view in that we dont and cannot know any more than that.

You can argue the rationality of certain aspects of faith, and you can argue the effects, causes, and conclusions of faith. You can debate its morals and its laws
    That isnt what he was reffering too, he was talking about the validity of faith.

"It's best to shut your mouth and let everyone think you're ignorant, then to open your mouth and prove it."

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism, absolute agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of god(s) is unknowable by nature or that human beings are ill-equipped to judge the evidence.
    Weak agnosticism (also called soft agnosticism, open agnosticism, empirical agnosticism, temporal agnosticism)—the view that the existence or nonexistence of God(s) is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available.

Apathetic agnosticism—the view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of God(s), but since any God(s) that may exist appear unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic anyway.
    Ignosticism—the view that the concept of God(s) as a being is meaningless because it has no verifiable consequences, therefore it cannot be usefully discussed as having existence or nonexistence.
    Model agnosticism—the view that philosophical and metaphysical questions are not ultimately verifiable but that a model of malleable assumption should be built upon rational thought. This branch of agnosticism does not focus on a deity's existence.
    Agnostic theism (also called religious agnosticism)—the view of those who do not claim to know existence of God(s), but still believe in such an existence. (See Knowledge vs. Beliefs)
    Agnostic atheism—the view of those who do not know of the existence or nonexistence of god(s), and do not believe in god(s).[2]

What I consider Agnostic are the weak and strong ones above. The agnostic theist is a theist, the agnostic atheist is an atheist.
    Religion goes beyond belief, it becomes a society, a culture unto itself.

So your post was to define what I said earlier?

"It's best to shut your mouth and let everyone think you're ignorant, then to open your mouth and prove it."

Theist: Someone who belives in a personal God
    Deist: Someone who believes in a non-personal God
    Agnostic: Someone who is uncertain Someone who does not believe either way, either dosn't care or knows he dosn't know
    Atheist: Someone who believes God does not exist

Therfore you are a theist. Full stop

Perhaps you can debate this in the god damned fight club.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyam Popat View Post
    Anyone here actually looking for an historical debate?
    Pick a subject and I will fight ye.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Therfore you are a theist. Full stop
    Which is what I already said, what are you trying to do?

Civitate

I want to fight Moralman about Fornication, and why I believe that its perfectly 'moral'.
    He can post first, if he accepts this challenge.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

So is someone going to accept my challenge? I see you two are arguing about religion amongst yourself while neither of you are honoring my challenge

Quote Originally Posted by yonosa View Post
    So is someone going to accept my challenge? I see you two are arguing about religion amongst yourself while neither of you are honoring my challenge
    Send Garb the information, and we'll fight.

yonosa, if fahrenheit doesn't come through, I'll gladly debate you. What is it you want to debate again? The rationality of religion or somesuch thing?

TheKwas's Avatar Civitate

I suppose that I shall extend an open challenge on any issue that is economical, biological, or religious (preferablely with me on the atheist side, but I would actually enjoy attempting to argue from the theistic side as well) in nature.
    1) The creation of the world is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
    2) The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
    3) The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
    4) The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
    5) Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being — namely, one who created everything while not existing.
    6) Therefore, God does not exist.

Garbarsardar's love child, and the only child he loves. ^-^

yeah Ill take whoever on on any subject it doesn't matter, I love debate and will take multiple people on

TheKwas's Avatar Civitate

You already had two people accept your challenge, I wouldn't want to cut the line.
    1) The creation of the world is the most marvelous achievement imaginable.
    2) The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
    3) The greater the disability (or handicap) of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
    4) The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
    5) Therefore if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator we can conceive a greater being — namely, one who created everything while not existing.
    6) Therefore, God does not exist.

Garbarsardar's love child, and the only child he loves. ^-^

Well I will not be able to proceed until at earliest the week of the 16th.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

I'm issuing a challenge, general, about the good done by major charities (of the Oxfam variety) in the third world... I'll take the "little" side.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Ozy that is a bit of restricted debate. They do some good and some bad, I would happily argue against the idea of charities and their operating practices but I couldn't deny they do some good....

I can't imagine arriving at anything but a middle ground consensus no matter which side I debated that one.

Peter

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

I can, having seen the work of smaller charities and having discussed the matter with Ugandans...