Thread: The Last Basileus

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Icon2 The Last Basileus

(Please note that this story is not entirely historically correct, it is more based upon Medieval II: Total War, a great game made by CA, if you don't have it, buy it now!)

The Main Characters:
    Byzantine Basileus: Constantinus XI Palaeologus
    Ottoman Sultan: Mehmed II

The Last Basileus, a Tragedy written by Lucius Julius

Act I:

The year is 1453, the month is may, the location is Constantinopolis, the domain is the Byzantine Empire, or whatever is left of it.......

The Byzantine Basileus, Constantinus XI Palaeologus, was reading an old map of the known world, from the days of Flavius Petrus Sabbatius Justinianus, who reigned as Imperator from 527 AD, to his death in 564 AD. "The great Roman Empire is but just a memory now....the Ottoman Turks are besieging Constantinopolis, the very heart of the Empire." Said Constantinus XI sadly, thinking aloud. "The fate of this Empire will be revealed to the world in a matter of moments, or more favorably, days..." Said Constantinus XI, solemnly.

While Constantinus XI was in his private quarters a messenger came through the hallway.

"I hope that the Basileus will not execute me for bringing this terrible news that the army of Mehmed II, Sultan of the Ottoman Turks, has breached the Theodosian Walls." Said the Messenger, timidly.

The Messenger then enters the quarters of Constantinus XI. "Great Basileus, I am bringing you news of misfortune, horror, terror, Sultan Mehmed II and his army of 150,000 men have breached the Theodosian Walls."

"Those Barbarians, they may succeed, but not without a fight, though I only have 7,000 men total, 2000 are mercenaries from the various city states in Italia." I order that the fletchers produce bows and arrows quickly, before the Ottomans reach past the Wall of Constantinus II." Said the valiant Basileus, with a determined look on his face.

"Aye great Basileus, I will order the Generals at once!" Replied the Messenger.

"Wait, before you go, tell my Armourer to equip me my armour, I will fight alongside my men."

"At once sir, he will see you shortly, I'm sure."

"Carry on then."

Constantinus XI was waiting in his private quarters for the Armourer, when he had heard a suspicious sound from outside his balcony. "I am unarmed, but I should look anyway..." Replied Constantinus XI.
    ~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~~+~

Act II:

Constantinus XI looked out the balconey, "Nothing..." He thought to himself. He then heard a foot step from behind him. Constantinus XI immediately turned around, and discovered that he was about to be assassinated by an Ottoman!

"For the glory of the great Sultan Mehmed II, and Allah, I will slit your neck, and carry your head back to the Sultan!" The Assassin replied, with a menacing look in his eyes.

Constantinus XI immediately drew his broad sword, which closely resembled a Roman Spatha, exept the hilt was painted a tyrian purple, and the handle was of fine leather. Constantinus XI then quickly thrust his sword on the Assassion's groin, and he fell dead.

Then the Armourer came in the room. "What is the matter, Basileus?"

"One of those barbarians made an attempt on my life, line up the palace guards, for we are about to fight back for this great attrocity, as if besieging the city wasn't bad enough!" Constantinus XI said, angrily and bitter. He then sliced the Assassin's neck, and threw his head off the balconey, hurling it to great distance.

"It must be in the Sea of Marmara by now..." Thought Constantinus XI.

Then Constantinus XI remembered that he was to wear his grand armour, with greaves, boots, cuirass, and a helmet of gold dyed purple. "Armourer, please hand me my armour."

"Certainly, Basileus."

The Armourer, whoose name was Petronius, ordered his men to carry the armour to Constantinus XI's bed. "Here you are, Basileus, your grand armour awaits it's wearer." Said the Armourer, with a hint of a smile.

"I will be joining my men at the battle soon, please go to the palace stable, and get my horse cataphracted (armoured) and prepared for me to mount. Make sure you bring the standard with Byzantium's insignia so that I may raise our morale in battle."

"At once, Basileus, I pray that God blesses us with victory over Mehmed II, the barbaric Sultan of the Ottoman Turks."

Act III:

The last Basileus of the Byzantine Empire mounted his horse, and carried Byzantium's grand standard, then went out into the battle with his men, ready to accept what fate was to come Byzantium's way, and to hold the last stand against the Ottoman Turks...The Basileus then rode in front of his men, and made an inspirational speech, the message of it was clear, either win, or be defeated, and all of Constantinopolis' woman and children may be killed.....

"Men, before we begin the grand battle, I would like all of you to think of your woman and children, and what would happen to them if Mehmed II triumphs as victorious over our Empire. This battle may be the last great decisive battle for Byzantium. If we win, which I doubt we may, especially with what few men we have, I will invite all of you to my palace to have a grand feast of victory! God bless us all to emerge triumphant!"

With that, the small Byzantine army then marched forward towards the enemy. Basileus Constantinus XI then ordered that the Peltastoi hurl their javelins toward the enemy.

To be continued until I have time to write again, enjoy what little I have so far!

Edit: Thank you Cra Z Guy for your comments!
    Last edited by The Good; March 13, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The Last Basileus, a Tragedy

Good AAR, story sounds really interesting. I like how you mesh real history with that of your experience with M2TW. Keep writing!

Haha, that assassin has slow reflexes! Nice, keep up the good work!

Sad, but you've got to admire their courage. Just like the Spartans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Julius View Post
    Edit: Thank you Cra Z Guy for your comments!
    No problem, I like spending time reading other people's stories.