Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit skinning!!!

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Default Unit skinning!!!

If anyone of the researchers has finalised unit roster, report here or pm me.
    Better pm me.
    Or you can post here.
    Whatever suits you best.
    It is time we start reskining...

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Default Re: Unit skining!!!

Umm, that soon? As you have said a lot of times on MSN, the existing vanilla models aren't of much use, and they all need a modelling touch beofre going for skinning. I also think that it would be better to model some real viking beards, helmets, etc... The models we have no aren't suitable... I think that we should focus on finishing faction banners, for every faction, then move to units, after the model exporter is released...

Also, I don't think it is our main concern now... We need to finish the map, code it appropriately, do faction banners, then move to units after model exporter. Of course it is not bad to make some skins, but I think that skins made now, will hardly make it to the final release, and it is basically double work...
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Depends. There are a lot of units that only need shield/helmet/weapon change, so, once the converter is out I'll just swap them. Beards can be added with ease, so that wouldn't be a problem.
    There are a bunch of skins that need to wait the converter....

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you so much TSDIV

By the way go on MSN cuz we need to chit chat.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Yes, but not realistic beards. I know how beards can be added in textures, but it wouldn't be good, a modelled beard would be very nice, if you understand what I am talking about.

Also, I said above, it shouldn't be on our priorities. If you want some artwork, let's do banners, to keep our skinners in tact. Also, much scripting must be done now, and after selenius finishes the map, so I don't think that it is a goo idea...

By the way go on MSN cuz we need to chit chat.
    He can't. He is going to sleep.

Ps: Chit Chat?
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Euro thing

Basically I"m kinda tired of having (insert amount of people on Mod team) signed up but only 3 working

EDIT: by the way I asked raven darkwing to do the banners etc and he's hating it
    Last edited by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV; March 09, 2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: *cough*

Raven is ok, the guy just hates banners.
    He wants to work. Unit reskin.
    He pm'd me a couple of times.
    Last edited by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV; March 09, 2007 at 01:16 AM.

Alletun's Avatar Artifex

well, some of the southern factions like asturia and byzantine wont need that much modeling, if any at all. Am i right or should i go back to my faction emblem cave?

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Never would have guessed you were a 12 year old Greek boy RTR Fan, very good English and mature.

If you want something to do, look in the Carolingian thread, I can't see their unit list changing much and there are plenty of Osprey pictures to work with. Ask me if you have any questions. Still, I don't now how much can be done without the converters, etc.

If I had time I would learn to do some modding, but alas I don't with university and all, so I will just stick to history collecting and perhaps game testing.

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

If you want something to do, look in the Carolingian thread, I can't see their unit list changing much and there are plenty of Osprey pictures to work with. Ask me if you have any questions. Still, I don't now how much can be done without the converters, etc
    I will take a look, thank you, but I still don't think we can do much without the tools, I will try though...

Never would have guessed you were a 12 year old Greek boy RTR Fan, very good English and mature.
    And thank you for your words. Do you have MSN by the way, so that we can chat a bit?
    Last edited by Soulghast; March 17, 2007 at 05:31 AM.
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

MSN is finneys13 -at- hotmail.com, -at- being @ obviously. Proper email is gmail, not hotmail.

Nibs's Avatar Miles
    Isca Dumnoriorum, Defnascir, Wessex, Ingerlond, Christendom, The World etc etc...

I know I must seem like a bore poking my head in everywhere but a quick point before you start modding beards etc. Despite the Popular image (Osprey are guilty of this) the Scandinavians in England at least may have had big ol' beards (and I'd keep it on elite units cos it looks cool) but as far as I know the hair on their heads was long towards the front and shaved up the nape of the neck to the crown, a style continued by the Normans who, like their predecessors, thought the English wearing their hair long was effeminate (Source Vikings, Ox Uni Press and Julian Richards England in the Viking Age)
    "Syng a song of Saxons
    In the Wapentake of Rye
    Four and twenty Eaoldormen
    To eaold to die...."

Concept artist for Wrath of the Norsemen

I guess i need to learn to mod at sometime, but being 13 i am a bit tied up doing SATs (a type of test at school that all British children do)

At the minute im so tied up, ill have to clear some space in my life before learning how to mod.

Rock on gmail :p.
    Last edited by tnick777; March 10, 2007 at 08:35 AM.
    Co-leader and Historian for the Picts, Moravians, and Scots in Viking: Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by DeZzErX
    So I type in Tartan in google. This is what i get.

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

Whoa... I thought I was one of the younger fellows around, and it turns out I'm surrounded by kids barely starting junior high school...

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Easy comrades...

(The one time I get to use that smilie.. )
    Under the patronage of vikrant
    Patron of Ramtha, Alletun, finneys13, SirPaladin and GrnEyedDvl

So do we want to start determining what unit lists are finalised etc.? Speaking only for myself, the Gaelic unit list is more-or-less final (just needs better names and maybe 1 more Dal Riadan unit) but I don't know how much of it could be done through reskinning - particularly, if you want it done right then pretty much every soldier needs some kind of cloak, which are largely absent from M2TW.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

what we need is cultural units first

what will be a basic set of units for each culture (if we go that route)

Default Re: Unit skinning!!!

That might work for some cultures, but not for others. (In the British Isles for example, Wessex and Northumbria might share basic units, as might Mumain and Dal Riada, but otherwise the 7 factions there have nothing in common and could not realistically share anything) I'll look into it for the ones that do though, there's been talk of a common Slavic list for example.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

wow, that's surprising. Thought I was the youngest.
    I eat because I'm Unhappy
    I'm Unhappy because I eat; It's a Vicious Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Alletun View Post
    well, some of the southern factions like asturia and byzantine wont need that much modeling, if any at all. Am i right or should i go back to my faction emblem cave?
    I am on the ground and

Removed because of off topic and it's been resolved.
    Last edited by tnick777; March 10, 2007 at 08:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast