Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide for editing Army Banners

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

Default Guide for editing Army Banners

Hi,
    This guide will involve, primarily, army banners editing for a completely new faction, but it can also be used for editing symbols for existing factions.

WARNING!!! Backup your files before modding!

Note: Most of the info is scavenged data, which I collected, and assembled in this guide. Credits go to a lot of different people, and my effort for writing.

Another Note: You can click on any picture to see a larger example!!!

Requirements:
    • Basic knowledge of PhotoShop or Gimp
    • PhotoShop or Gimp
    • Nvidia Plugin for PhotShop or Gimp
    • Text editor, notepad will do
    Files edited:
    • descr_sm_factions.txt
    and one of these:
    • symbols1.tga.dds, symbols2.tga.dds, symbols3.tga.dds, symbols4.tga.dds, symbols5.tga.dds, symbols6.tga.dds, symbols7.tga.dds, symbols8.tga.dds.
    I should explain how "symbolsx.tga.dds" files work.

Each of sybmolsx.tga.dds files constitutes of 4 factions symbols, and is referenced through descr_sm_factions.txt via number starting with 0.
    Reference:

There are 8 of these files each "carrying" 4 symbols, that is 32 symbols total.
    First five .tga.dds files are using vanilla symbols, including symbols6.tga.dds' top two.
    So I am making an example for a new faction symbol with the symbols6.tga

From theory to practice:

Step 1

If you don't have descr_sm_factions.txt in your mymod/data folder copy it from the vanilla folder (if you unpacked your game, offcourse)

Open m2tw/mymod/data/descr_sm_factions.txt with notepad and in "standard_index" line, instead of original number type "22", like shown with the line in red bellow. Or the number corresponding to file that carries the symbol you are editing. See the reference picture above!

Save your changes and close.

This is all we need to change in this file.

Example of the code for symbol6.tga in descr_sm_factions.txt:
    Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

faction						england
    culture						northern_european
    religion					catholic
    symbol						models_strat/symbol_england.CAS
    rebel_symbol				models_strat/symbol_rebels.CAS
    primary_colour				red 215, green 0, blue 0
    secondary_colour			red 255, green 210, blue 0
    loading_logo				loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_england.tga
    standard_index				22
    logo_index					FACTION_LOGO_ENGLAND
    small_logo_index			SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_ENGLAND
    triumph_value				5
    intro_movie					faction/major_intro.bik
    victory_movie				faction/england_win.bik
    defeat_movie				faction/england_lose.bik
    death_movie					faction/england_lose.bik
    custom_battle_availability	yes
    can_sap						no
    prefers_naval_invasions		yes
    can_have_princess			yes
    has_family_tree					yes

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Why number 22, you would ask?
    Number 22 in descr_sm_factions.txt refers to bottom left symbol in the symbols6.tga file. See the reference pic
    That symbol is unusued, so we will work with him.

Step 2

Open m2tw/data/banners/symbols6.tga.dds with PhotoShop.

Edit to your preference until You are satisfied.

I will create a blue circle just for example:

You have to edit image's alpha channel, which controls tranparency.
    Just click on the channel tab in your PS and control transparency via shades of grey.
    White means no transparency, while black represents full transparency.

Note: If channel tab is not on your screen, go to dropdown menu, select "Window" and check "channels".

Alpha channel for my blue circle should look like this:

Now save your file with the following options:

Your symbols6.tga.dds file MUST be in m2tw/data/banners folder. Your changes will NOT appear if you save it in mymod folder.
    So, backup your files!

Cheers, Tsar Stefan Dusan IV
    Last edited by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV; March 06, 2007 at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: Guide for editing Army Banners

Oh my god Tsar. Last night, I considered writing up a tutorial on this exact thing. The only thing is mine would suck and people would yell at me...Good job!

EDIT: I also have a question. Where do we tell where one image stops and one ends. Your pictures with the numbers in the corners are basically what I mean. Is the file simply split into 4 equal quadrants?
    Last edited by Goatbuster3000; March 06, 2007 at 05:33 PM.

Yes, the image is split on 4 equal quadrants, each is 64x64 pixels.

Maybe you'll outrun me next time So we can yell a bit

Hahaha, I better start workin' out

or maybe not...

Your friend, teh Goatbuster

EDIT: Ok...that second smilie came out weird... Thanks for the info on the quadrants

good job really helpfull.

liper's Avatar Laetus

I would change the banners, textures,... but I can't install gimp, when it install an error message saying a part of the installation missing come, and I can't find the Nvidia pluggin, so if someone can help me to resolve the error message or to give me a file to download gimp or the Nvidia pluggins he would be verry helful for me. (I'm Belgian, I speak French, and the English isn't my favourite lesson so don't be angry if my message is very bad and use easy words to answer please)
    Thank

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by liper View Post
    I would change the banners, textures,... but I can't install gimp, when it install an error message saying a part of the installation missing come, and I can't find the Nvidia pluggin, so if someone can help me to resolve the error message or to give me a file to download gimp or the Nvidia pluggins he would be verry helful for me. (I'm Belgian, I speak French, and the English isn't my favourite lesson so don't be angry if my message is very bad and use easy words to answer please)
    Thank
    Go to http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

1. install GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment (you must do this Before you install GIMP.)
    2. install The GIMP for Windows
    3. install GIMP Help 2 for different languages

.dds plug-in & normal map generator plug-in:

Go to http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4025

I hope this helps. Sorry but the only other language that I know is Latin.

LC
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Any idea how to change the symbol that appears on the banner of an empty settlement?
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

liper's Avatar Laetus

Thank, Gimp is now installed, but I can't download the pluggins, An error message appear in zip or when I zip a thread with symbol come. Do I have necessary install de pluggins to change the textures, etc. ?
    ps: I'm better at the Latin lesson that at the English one...

Thank, Gimp is now installed, but I can't download the pluggins, An error message appear in zip or when I zip a thread with symbol come. Do I have necessary install de pluggins to change the textures, etc. ?
    ps: I'm better at the Latin lesson that at the English one...

Unfortunately, it is hard talk about computer issues in Latin. You have to manually install the plugins into your plugin directory.

-John G. Hartung

liper's Avatar Laetus

I don't understand,... So when I go to your link, I go to this page http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/ I go in download but no link function, I have an error message and when winzip come, there is no file to click on, only one have file but when I click on, a page with symbo come. (I hope My post is understandig...)

I don't understand,... So when I go to your link, I go to this page http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/ I go in download but no link function, I have an error message and when winzip come, there is no file to click on, only one have file but when I click on, a page with symbo come. (I hope My post is understandig...)
    Click..

Download...(you should see something like this)
    Download

Current version: 1.2.1 (2007-01-31)

<A href="http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/download.php?filename=gimp-dds">source (tar.bz2)
    win32 binaries (zip)
    win32 binaries (zip, software compression build - see included readme file)

Click on choice 2 (win32 binaries)

click on "save" when the window pops up

Follow the "read me" instructions.

-John G. Hartung

Is there anything special that has to be done to edit the last two files that contain the rebel symbols (symbols7.tga & symbols8.tga)?

I have made several attempts to add a new logo here and the end result is this:

I have successfully added 3 other logos in symbols6.tga with no problem, doing exactly the same thing...

...also...before I reassigned the rebel symbol to #31, my new symbol was showing up on half of the rebel settlements...

...it also show up on some of the rebel banners when I assign the number to them.

Can anybody tell me what is going on here?

LC

-John G. Hartung

I think I know what your problem is...
    This is code of entire file descr_standards.txt:
    Code:
    ;
    ;	this file describes the appearance of the strategy map banners
    ;

file_scale			0.185f
    file_army_banner	data/banners/strat_flag.cas				; can't have spaces
    file_scale			1.0f
    file_navy_banner	data/banners/navy_banner.cas

banner_star			0,       0.67969, 0.19141, 0.86719
    banner_button		0.19922, 0.67969, 0.38281, 0.86719
    banner_flag			0.58813, 0.01,    0.99,    0.99
    banner_sail			0.01,    0.01,    0.42,    0.41
    banner_crusade			0.02344, 0.44531, 0.28906, 0.67969,   banners/strat_flag.tga
    banner_jihad			0.29688, 0.44531, 0.5625,  0.67969,   banners/strat_flag.tga

factions
    symbols				banners/symbols1.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols2.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols3.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols4.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols5.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols6.tga
    rebels_factions
    symbols				banners/symbols7.tga
    symbols				banners/symbols8.tga
    You can try this:
    Code:
    factions
    rebels_factions
    Or this:
    Code:
    factions
    rebels_factions
    This last entry is questionable (factions and rebel factions sharing one file), but I thought leaving single quadrant for rebels and the rest of it used by normal, playable factions. Try it I hope it helps (I did NOT tested it, it is just an idea, so backup your file, just in case).

Cheers,
    Tsar Stefan Dusan IV
    Last edited by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV; March 10, 2007 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Stefan Dusan IV View Post
    You can try this:
    Code:
    factions
    symbols                banners/symbols1.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols2.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols3.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols4.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols5.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols6.tga
    symbols                banners/symbols7.tga
    rebels_factions
    symbols                banners/symbols8.tga
    Perfect! It works now...I wonder...is it possible to add a 9th symbols file? symbols9.tga? so that when I get into making those last factions I don't have to run into this problem again?

LC

-John G. Hartung

why is it that i can't open the TEXTURE files with photoshop or gimp. i always get this message which says "adobe photoshop could not open "enter name of file here" because it is not the right kind of document"
    what does this mean?

i know i am a noob but please help

@Lord Condormanius,

Were you able to run the game using symbols9.tga?
    Reason i ask is i am using 31 factions and do not want to have my rebelsuse faction symbols.

If i knew how to choose which symbols are used for the rebel factions, i suppose i could live with only symbols8.tga and set only the one symbol for all rebel factions..

Another thing is, if we can learn to make symbols9.tga or more, we could have many visually unique rebel factions in game! but again, i dont know how the slave faction works..

finally, it is notable that standard_index 24 is broken, i guess it has something to do with the slave faction...

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon View Post
    @Lord Condormanius,

Were you able to run the game using symbols9.tga?
    Yes.

finally, it is notable that standard_index 24 is broken, i guess it has something to do with the slave faction...
    I have not experienced this with #24.

-John G. Hartung

using 24 for a playable faction i have seen a gray box instead of my image. I have never had any issues with this before and i have experience to know the .tga or .dds are not causing the gray box..

when i add symbols9.tga to standards.txt i get CTD, how did you get it going?

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon View Post
    using 24 for a playable faction i have seen a gray box instead of my image. I have never had any issues with this before and i have experience to know the .tga or .dds are not causing the gray box..
    I don't know what to tell you other than I haven't had this problem.

when i add symbols9.tga to standards.txt i get CTD, how did you get it going?
    I just added it and it worked. If you get a crash, you should also get an error report. It's hard to know what you are doing wrong without seeing all of the entries that are involved.

-John G. Hartung

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast