Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorm - What is missing in Stainless Steel?!

Default Brainstorm - What is missing in Stainless Steel?!

Hey Guys!

Since Iam not only playing Stainless Steel, but also have a version with the newest Deus Lo Vult installed, I think I am pretty up to date with what's going on in Medieval's modding world.

I think we need a Thread, apart from "Suggestions" where we can Brainstorm for things Stainless Steel is missing.

I want to put in my two cents first.

1) New Loading Screens
    I think King already agreed on this one and has made an excellent decision to bring SS's loadings screens up to date! Although I really like your Opening screen, with the Knight on the Horse! I think this one should stay!

2) Big Map
    Alright, I think this has been an ongoing discussion. i think the negative thing people don't like about Big Map is that it changes the AI.
    I'm not voting for incorporating the whole Big Map mod, as with Building times, which are excellent in this game, but I think a Mod like Stainles Steel has to go with the Big Map. It's historically more accurate, gives you more Settlements, looks better and really makes the game fun to look at and fun to play. Maybe there is a way to put the map in and change the AI behaviour. I am playing Stainless Steel with the Big Map and I must say it is fantastic!!

3) Traits
    I think that some special unique "Stainless Steel" traits should be worked out. I offer myself to the Thinktank!! I think the people of Deus Lo Vult have their own man for traits and stuff like that. Why shouldn't Stainless Steel have it's own traits! I think King is a skilled modder alright to get that done with a little help on the historical side

4) Updates
    i think that some minor but still fascinating mods. Such as the Heraldry Mods of Tokus Maximus, ongoing updates of Battle mods, Broads and Bastards and all stuff which really is enhancing the game!

5) Arrows
    I think it would be awesome to make them stick in te ground

6)New Units
    Why not put in some new units, by changing old ones? I've seen a unit called Sword Seargent in Road to jerusalem, a sergeant equipped with a swor. Excellent. Or Dismounted Frankish Knights.

7)New faction symbols
    Why not make Stainless Steel unique Faction symbols. Make them look like Stainless Steel, pick out the original names of the factions in their own language!! I think this mod needs some unique changes

So get your ideas in here guys, everything is welcome! (Please try to throw them in organized )

Thx
    Last edited by student23; March 07, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Default Re: Brainstorm - What is missing in Stainless Steel?!

Hmm..no ideas yet?!

Hopefully my mod doesn't miss much

But have made a lot of cool things for my next version.
    However, I would highly appreciate every additional suggestion what could be added to my mod!

@Student

Since the new official patch will not arrive before the next two weeks I will have some time to think about more additions..
    Regarding your suggestions:

BigMap: not my personal preference
    Loading screens: as you suggested earlier, I have already made a collection of really spectacular screenshot artworks.
    traits are always interesting and if you have some good ideas, please let me know!
    Updates: I'm very aware of that. I have already many of them in the current version and it will be even more.
    units: I have already implemented some new units, mainly mercenaries. Perhaps more will come.
    faction names I'll think about that...
    Last edited by King Kong; March 07, 2007 at 01:18 PM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

I hate Bigmap..... it makes the turns waaayyy tooo long. Makes me play Stainless Steel a lot over Dues Lo Vult. Both mods I play extensively however.

Another suggestion I have is disabling swords for pikemen and make them only be able to use pikes. I believe this has been achieved already but I cannot find a link.

There is one thing which has to change. It seems that stakes of English Longbowmen seem to be an obstacle. They cannot shoot through them, at least in my battles they cannot! They try to shoot over them and of course most of them fail.

I hope that it could be fixed

@ Underdawg

Yea I have to agree about Big map now, changed my mind. There is significant lag, game crashes etc!
    Last edited by student23; March 08, 2007 at 06:57 AM.

probably way out of reality but somehow just some how make water battles work..... take a map make it flat change it to blue use siege units to somehow construct the ships/skins really just an idea.... doubt it might not even be possible at all trying to think of walk arounds to see how it could happen sometimes sea battles piss me off u have the bigger force and still lose id just like to manually win it

I also hope that the new Burrek's Knights and Knaves will be included!! I somehow got the taste!!

Also I discovered something totally new, at least to me. Somebody completely changed the appearing menu screen. It looks fantastic and I think it would be a great addition to this mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85406

Check this thread out. The pictures are at the middle of the first page.

It would make Stainless Steel look a bit more like Stainless Steel!!
    Last edited by student23; March 08, 2007 at 02:13 PM.

Also, although I think you did this purposely, I think the Darth Mod unit stats should be utilized. I play Deus Lo Vult also and it uses them and my campaigns are fine (there are no imbalances due autocalcs with the stats - ie no Milan pwning everybody due to high stat crossbowmen). In fact, I think the Darth Mod Open Source 20 (already integrated into Stainless Steel) along with Warpack 4.5 make the best combo. It really changes the battles.

What about some more historical events? There ain't many in this game yet. If you compare it to Deus Lo Vult, which has an event almost ever five turns!

I haven't started on my trait's yet. I think picking out historical events is somewhat easier anyway. I think I will get going on some stuff by next week!

@Underdawg

You can be sure that Darth's unit stats and battle mechanics will be included!
    It is a big advantage of the new patch that Darth don't has to use low unit stats for highly effective units, because the 2-hander bug will be properly fixed.
    So, I'm really hoping for almost perfectly balanced battles and calculations!

@Student

I've also thought about that...
    This would be adding more atmosphere to the game and probably it wouldn't be too hard to make.
    I'll think about some events which would be worth to make...
    As always, if you have any good ideas I'll try to incorporate them!
    Last edited by King Kong; March 10, 2007 at 06:50 AM.

I was just browsing through the Forums and I encountered the TW-center Character Names Project. Their aim is to add historically accurate names to the game. It looks really promising. It seems not to be done yet, but once it is I think it should be added to this mod!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=327

I think it would be cool to add some crusader seargents and other crusader units to the teutonic orders chapter house so you can recruit them. Also when you upgrade the armour of the knights it would be cool if they have unique teutonic armour and not just look like fedual knights with different shields.
    I have been trying to figure out how to do this myself. But I seriously suck at it and would never be able to do. I just thought I would suggest it.

@Student

Yet another good mod with this character names.
    Probably I'll ask the creators if I can use them...

@byob

Yes, I also think that the armour upgrades of the order knights aren't very good. They are just textures of other mounted or dismounted heavy units...
    However, because I just make unique armor upgrades for the Knights Templar (they have a higher priority now, because they will be an own faction) I don't know if I have time to make that for all other knights orders.
    But I'll look if I can...
    Thanks for the suggestion!

About making arrows stick in the ground (Student's first post):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1066

It's a great mod, I use it myself !

Arrows stick in the ground?! Finally somebody came up with that! Great Spartan, awesome news!! That is one of the things annoying me the most, that the god damn arrows disappear...

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Student, they do that for frame rates, you know that. and Medieval2 needs every boost it can get.

Here's my million dollar suggestion, when the darth map is done, use it!! More provinces = more fun.
    Last edited by xeryx; March 12, 2007 at 07:10 PM.

@Second Spartan

Yes, I know of this little mod and it's pretty cool, but I think the problem is, that it's likely that the game performance will be reduced...

@xeryx

Well, there are many good maps out there, I believe. But to be honest, I'm actually pretty pleased with my current map. I've also added several new regions and in the next version there will be around 21-23 new regions, all with new ressources and historically pretty accurate.
    Also, you have to consider that too many provinces would end up in endless siege battles and I don't think this would be much fun...

i think maybe a whole new general sprite, i don't know about you guys, but the king and generals don't look any different, plus, see, maybe the generals could be little different, like difference faces? or maybe just maybe, different clothing and stuff.
    note: i'm not a modder, not even sure if it's possible, it's just an idea, hopefully ppl won't get pissed at me for throwing ridiculous ideas around,

There is one thing which has to change. It seems that stakes of English Longbowmen seem to be an obstacle. They cannot shoot through them, at least in my battles they cannot! They try to shoot over them and of course most of them fail.

Also I want to point out an idea put out by Mike13535...He mentioned that a real mercenary system would be interesting, meaning, hiring another maybe only allied countries units...of course they would be devilishly expensive!

Well somethin' like that...you get my point guys

I think a change that decisive is a first as well...never saw a that impressionate change on the mercenary system in any mod before...at least it's worth to play around with

Hi Mike,
    I agree with you that Kings should look different from generals, but the problem is, that the game don't knows any difference between kings' and generals' textures... So, I fear I probably can't make this.

Hi Student,

I've already heard from this stakes issue, but havn't tested it for myself yet.
    I will do that today and give you a reply later...
    And yes, this idea with hiring units is really great! The problem is only that I don't know much of the diplomacy files so I can't tell if this is possible in any way. However I really like that idea and I'll play around with it this weekend!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast