Thread: Symposium Topics

Default Symposium Topics

From roadmap thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor420
    1. First, we must figure out a list of topics to be discussed. The "background" thread gives an initial list, but this must be fleshed out alot, and added to.
    From background thread:
    Possible discussion topics (as outlined by Prof):
    * Methods of team coordination
    * Recruitment
    * Handling Deadlines
    * Optimal team sizes and responsibilities
    * Incentives/punishments
    * Software handling
    * Beta testing
    * Team Mutiny
    * Inactivity
    Agreeing with above we do need to flesh out some topics more, to incite interest of people we are inviting to speak - although I think we should also be flexible enough to abandon any very specific pre-conceived ideas if they come up with better proposals themselves!

Also wondering I did notice mention in one of the preliminary threads that the 'mod leaders symposium' could be held on a regular - 6 monthly / yearly basis. If that is the plan should we restrict the first symposium to certain aspects only, perhaps some of the team handling aspects and not beta testing? To do the selected subjects in more depth and reserve others for future symposiums? I'm mainly thinking that if we cover a little bit of all subjects on first pass then there might not be so much enthusiasm for a next symposium which would tend to then be re-hash of first. :hmmm:

Default Re: Symposium Topics

I don't mind the idea of a more focused group discussion, I do think it would give some purpose and direction to the symposium rather than a myriad of floundering half baked discussions.

What we must also realize though is that we have two generations of mods being developed right now - budding M2 mods, and more established rtw mods. So while a focus on team building and recruitment might be a more appropriate focus for these newer budding mods, things such as beta testing and handling deadlines might be more appropriate for older mods nearer completion. While they are all applicable to every mod, I do think we should try to find a good balance without pandering to one or the other.

Perhaps we could focus on topics on a weekly basis? ie Week One: Discussion on Recruitment, Week Two: Discussion on Optimal Team sizes and responsibilities, etc etc.?

Some other possible topics (I'm not sure if these fall under any of Prof's categories, apologies if so):
    • Handling Public Relations
    • Setting up team forums and/or website
    • Intermod coordination
    Last edited by Publius; March 05, 2007 at 01:30 PM.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

You have some tough and very pertinent questions there!!

I will have to put my thinking cap on!

i suggest addressing them as discussion topics one by one, would be very interesting to see the different responses.
    Last edited by MCM; March 05, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCorneliusMarcellus View Post
    i suggest addressing them as discussion topics one by one, would be very interesting to see the different responses.
    Would you be in favor of having simultaneous discussions but in their own little microchasm of the symposium, or for the symposium itself to tackle each topic one at a time?

one at a time will keep people coming back, but it depends on what works best for everyone

I like the idea of one at a time, as well.

If the Symposium is to repeat, then I'd suggest it doesn't tackle the same topics over and over... one a year or two years would be more than enough for a mod leadership symposium (especially given a mod's development cycle), and our efforts would much better be spent doing such conferences on other aspects of mod development. Let's just tackle whatever we can in one initial shot.

BTW, thanks mak, I was going to make this thread but glad it was already done.

As for the topics, I think a couple sentences describing each one would be beneficial, to clarify confusion, as well as give some possible ideas for discussion when the speaker chooses the topic. This is a very informal extrapolation; obviously when the actual topics are chosen, the speaker will have freedom to present the topic as he sees fit. Here goes:

*Methods of team coordination: Different alternatives available, such as forums, email, instant messenger, voice, and the instances to utilize each one (what should be done via email, versus what should be posted on the forum, and how should team meetings be held (voice or text?). Pertinent issues include coordinating a team that is spread out geographically and linguistically.

* Recruitment: Where are the best places to find team members? How does one make a proper recruitment post? What attracts people to mods? How far in development should a mod be before seeking members?

* Handling Deadlines: How does a leader handle deadlines for work that is ultimately voluntary? How to handle chronic lateness? When should someone be removed for inattendence/negligence?

* Optimal team sizes and responsibilities: How many is too many? What about members who work for various mods? How many members is too few? Finding ways to "trim the fat." Finding ways to "bulk up" and jobs for the less skilled.

* Incentives/punishments: How to handle rewards for over-performing members, and deal with under-performers?

* Software handling: The best way of coordinating the versions of software, art files, text files, etc. How to distribute files publically/privately, etc.

* Beta testing: (a topic I have no real experience with)

* Team Mutiny: What happens when team members are angry or upset? Who should replace you as leader, or should you keep the reigns? Is there any inherent ownership entitled to the progenitor of the mod/idea?

* Inactivity: probably should fall under "deadlines" or "incentives/punishments"

* Handling Public Relations: (don't know)

* Setting up team forums and/or website: Forum software options, and how to/should one recruit a super-fan as a moderator/admin, how to find webmasters, etc. What should be included on the website, what makes a good website, sample websites, and working within your limits (ie, not drawing away from mod work to work on website). The good appearance tradeoff with the amount of work involved.

* Intermod coordination: (blank)
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

*Handling Public Relations: Organizing previews, team interviews, different mediums/methods of getting people thinking about your modification project, etc (MCM is very good at this, I'd like to hear what he has to say in this regard)

*Intermod Coordination: Coordinating shared projects between mods for mutual benefit (ie Mod A allows Mod B their animations, Mod B allows in return allows Mod A unit models or Mod A and B collaborate on one aspect of a project.)

Different members of different mods are going to be interested in different topics, depending on their experience level. Beginners will be interested in most topics, given their relative inexperience. More advanced mod leaders will be more likely to show interest in a few select topics, as some other topics would simply be a rehash of what they are already quite familiar with. I would recommend using a format that covers the topics one at a time, allowing the participants to attend discussions on those topics that interest them the most.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

The material that comes up could be edited together regarding relevance etc,
    and you could even think about releasing it as a pdf

beginners guide to...

intermediate guide to...

whatever- it depends on how much care and attention people want to put into it

or just bundle it all together- I think that this is relavent stuff, not limited to just TWC

MCM

I think we should have a thread for tools. Like useful tools, how to get the most out of them, tools that would make life easier etc
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan
    I think we should have a thread for tools. Like useful tools, how to get the most out of them, tools that would make life easier etc
    I think we were already trying to get that started in the modding community forums, here. It would be good if that were expanded, and added to, including more explanation / tutorials on getting most out of commonly used tools. But I think that is something everyone could be working on, I'm not 100% sure providing info for that fits within theme of symposium, or would necessarily be done by the mod leaders / speakers?

However, issue of how you co-ordinate passing info between team members if not all have same software (Excel for example which is useful but not free) might be interesting. Think that fits under software handling topic already suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420
    * Beta testing: (a topic I have no real experience with)
    There could be quite a lot in that as topic, you'd get all the team management issues. How to recruit, co-ordinate, deal with deadlines, non-activity etc. but with probably larger group of people who may be less motivated!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dinadan View Post
    As Mak said, this does not fall under the spirit of this particular symposium, but may be part of a future one. Let us not broaden our focus too much. I agree with Mak on this 100%.

There could be quite a lot in that as topic, you'd get all the team management issues. How to recruit, co-ordinate, deal with deadlines, non-activity etc. but with probably larger group of people who may be less motivated!
    Very true, but a topic that needs to be specifically handled to some degree regardless.

Anyway, if there are no further additions or objections, shall I formalize this list including Publius' additions, and pending the Beta Testing description?
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Formalising topic suggestions sounds good, I was wondering if we could combine, topic suggestions (as above), ideas on timing and infrastructure etc. into another thread as a sort of mock invitation we can work on, and direct anyone we initially informally consult as possible speakers towards, so they can get overall idea but still have room to comment.

Re: beta testing - possible summary:

* Beta testing: Can it ever be handled totally within mod team? If not, is public or private beta testing preferable? How should any additional beta testers be recruited and managed?

This is where I think we got to so far on the provisional topic list, please feel free to expand on these, add topics or suggest omissions:
    *Methods of team coordination: Different alternatives available, such as forums, email, instant messenger, voice, and the instances to utilize each one (what should be done via email, versus what should be posted on the forum, and how should team meetings be held (voice or text?). Pertinent issues include coordinating a team that is spread out geographically and linguistically.

* Recruitment: Where are the best places to find team members? How does one make a proper recruitment post? What attracts people to mods? How far in development should a mod be before seeking members?

* Handling Deadlines: How does a leader handle deadlines for work that is ultimately voluntary? How to handle chronic lateness? When should someone be removed for inattendence/negligence?

* Optimal team sizes and responsibilities: How many is too many? What about members who work for various mods? How many members is too few? Finding ways to "trim the fat." Finding ways to "bulk up" and jobs for the less skilled.

* Incentives/punishments: How to handle rewards for over-performing members, and deal with under-performers or inactive members?

* Software handling: The best way of coordinating the versions of software, art files, text files, etc. How to distribute files publically/privately, etc.

* Beta testing: Can it ever be handled totally within mod team? If not, is public or private beta testing preferable? How should any additional beta testers be recruited and managed?

* Team Mutiny: What happens when team members are angry or upset? Who should replace you as leader, or should you keep the reigns? Is there any inherent ownership entitled to the progenitor of the mod/idea?

* Handling Public Relations: Organizing previews, team interviews, different mediums/methods of getting people thinking about your modification project, etc

* Setting up team forums and/or website: Forum software options, and how to/should one recruit a super-fan as a moderator/admin, how to find webmasters, etc. What should be included on the website, what makes a good website, sample websites, and working within your limits (ie, not drawing away from mod work to work on website). The good appearance tradeoff with the amount of work involved.

* Intermod coordination: Coordinating shared projects between mods for mutual benefit (ie Mod A allows Mod B their animations, Mod B allows in return allows Mod A unit models or Mod A and B collaborate on one aspect of a project.)