Thread: Infrastructure suggestions / requirements

Default Infrastructure suggestions / requirements

Subject split off from roadmap thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor420
    2. Second, we need to devise a list of possible ways that speakers can present these topics, and make sure we have the infrastructure available. For example, if we decide voice-conference is a good idea, we must make sure that is available.
    Voice conference has been mentioned as possibility in initial proposals, I'm not sure of practicalities of that one (probably as I've been out of business environment for too long) but if you're dealing with people from different countries and with different telephone / software / hardware set ups, I'm not sure if that would just put another block on the number of possible participants. Also in terms of the results being made public I think it could take a lot more work in terms of turning it into edited podcast or trying to summarise it into print.

Also not sure if you're got any one involved for whom English isn't first language whether it would actually be easier for them to 'speak' / reply in writing where they have time to compose / translate things?

Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Manstein16
    I have the same worries about voice conferencing. For one, not every individual is equipped with the necessary software/hardware for it. Also, I know that it is quite a bit more difficult to understand a non-native language when it is spoken rather than written.

And yes, this discussion should probably be split off.

Default Re: Infrastructure suggestions / requirements

As far as voiceconferencing goes, a lot of people use either teamspeak or xfire (so far as I have seen at least, I have never personally used either of them).

As far as the limitations to the potential number of users as well as practability of voice conferencing I would agree that there are some fairly large roadblocks, but I would not rule it out entirely. We could potentially ask a podcast editor (tBP and Evariste presently, I think) to edit it up for a podcast version?

I don't have a mic(but I could probably still listen to summarize). Nor would I think everyone would have time to have a huge voice conference due to rl, chores, school, timezones, etc
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

There are a number of people who have Ventrillo servers that could host from between 16 and 32 people... up to 8 can be hosted by any individual without a dedicated server.
    I have a team where the majority of members are not native english speakers, and we can usually understand each other fine.
    It is possible that the number of members would need to be limited, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it... 16 people in a voice conference would be a great success!
    It could be recorded and edited into a podcast, that would probably be the best way to distribute (and perhaps a transcript or summary at a later date).
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    As far as voiceconferencing goes, a lot of people use either teamspeak or xfire (so far as I have seen at least, I have never personally used either of them).
    You forgot Skype.

As far as the limitations to the potential number of users as well as practability of voice conferencing I would agree that there are some fairly large roadblocks, but I would not rule it out entirely. We could potentially ask a podcast editor (tBP and Evariste presently, I think) to edit it up for a podcast version?
    I am not aware of any limits on the users that can take place on a skype conference.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Apologies then, shaun.

Another possible solution would be to set up a chat room of sorts. This would resolve the problems of:

- translation
    - English as a Second Language (ESL) speakers having difficulty keeping up with a verbal dialogue
    - people talking over one another
    - transcribing the conversation for later use

Of course, this still doesn't resolve the problem of trying to orchestrate a teleconference that will work for people not only with different occupations, but spread throughout the entire world and its respective time zones. A standard forum seems to be the only solution to this, allowing people to both post and read at their own leisure.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Manstein16 View Post
    Another possible solution would be to set up a chat room of sorts. This would resolve the problems of:

- translation
    - English as a Second Language (ESL) speakers having difficulty keeping up with a verbal dialogue

Of course, this still doesn't resolve the problem of trying to orchestrate a teleconference that will work for people not only with different occupations, but spread throughout the entire world and its respective time zones. A standard forum seems to be the only solution to this, allowing people to both post and read at their own leisure.
    Perhaps we need to first get a rough idea of who the main speakers will be and their respective timezones
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Manstein16 View Post

- translation

Given that most users are in the US or Western/Northern Europe, I don't see this as a problem. Yes sometimes this can span as much as 10 hours, but the benefit of the voicechat offsets any potential loss of attendance. Anyone who has held meetings via MSN or via VOIP can attest to the difference... there is no comparison, really, and if we record the teleconference, we don't have to worry about those that can't attend not getting hold of what was discussed.

Anyway, then, here's a list of mediums I'd suggest are available for speakers to choose from:
    • Audio Podcast
    • Video Podcast
    • Teleconference/VOIP (Skype or Ventrillo)
    • mIRC Chat
    • MSN Chat
    • Forum Thread

Anything I'm missing?

For the inexperienced members of committee - and possibly for some of the approached mod leaders - could you, or other committee members detail a bit more about capabilities and requirements for some of the ideas listed.

EG. Skype or Ventrillo, is there any cost/ requirements for user, (or host) is recording facility included in software?

I'd look more of this up but got half way through the teamspeak FAQ and got thoroughly confused, so thought asking anyone who'd used them before might be quicker.....

Also should we distinguish between way initial speech is given and way primary / secondary discussion is carried out. For instance if audio only conference looks popular, I'm still not sure for an inexperienced speaker if audio only is good way to attempt to present. A mixed option could work, initial speaker posts thread (speech) that others have time to view. At agreed time there is audio conference to discuss this with other speakers or very limited list of invitees. That is then edited / transcribed and made generally available, at which stage thread is also opened to general Q & A.

Ventrillo and Skype are very easy to use, I promise.

I have a Ventrillo server that can host 8, I am sure another TWC member has a larger one, otherwise we can use Skype. Ventrillo is merely connecting to an IP, Skype is just like MSN (add a name or email).

As for your other ideas, I very much like them, but we should leave it to the speaker to decide... they make excellent suggestions as to how it can be structured, though.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    EG. Skype or Ventrillo, is there any cost/ requirements for user, (or host) is recording facility included in software?
    Nope, skype can be found for free, not sure about Ventrillo. THe only requirement of them is that the user needs a microphone, either on board sound or a sound card and speakers, oh, and quite a fast net connection if we are going to have largish conferences.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

OK so in approaching speakers about possibility of using voice conferencing, only issues are their personal preferences, co-coordinating time zones, whether they have microphone and whether they have reasonably fast internet connection. The last two points of which are probably obvious enough not to need stating ??

* Audio Podcast
    * Video Podcast
    * Teleconference/VOIP (Skype or Ventrillo)
    * mIRC Chat
    * MSN Chat
    * Forum Thread
    Think we missed discussing some of prof's other possibilities. Do we want to go into them in more detail here or just start getting feedback from possible speakers?

If we're debating here I think there is again possibly a split between which might be best for a. initial speech, b. subsequent discussion and c. final presentation. Chat would only seem suitable for the subsequent discussion phase, and I'm not sure on how good MSN is for discussion of complex ideas with a few people - I'm a bit new to it so may be missing out on something - but it seems you start trying to say anything that requires some length of explanation, run out of room in text box so send part of comment, then find that person you're conversing with replies mid way through trying to send next part getting whole convo. out of sync.

Zhuge_Liang has responded on his preferences for hosting. Which would be for either MSN messenger or the TWC mIRC channel, doesn't mind between two. I've only just got into MSN (wondering why I did as its taking over life) and haven't really used TWC mIRC - could someone who has please help make list of pro's and con's so we can advise / decide.

From limited knowledge I'd tend slightly towards MSN in terms of ease of viewing. TWC chat does have advantage of being linked to site - though not sure how relevant that is.

Edit: and Lusted is happy with idea of ventrillo - but assume we do need prof. to help set that up... I have no knowledge on it, is anyone else confident in it?