Thread: Help with modding campaign map

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Default Help with modding campaign map

I'm creating a brand new map in BI and am having a slightly strange problem (which hopefully is blindingly obvious to someone out there).

I have created the new map, updated all the files I can find (see below) and set the new map to have two provinces, two factions and two armies. However, when I start up my provincial campaign in BI, although it starts ok and has only 2 armies, provinces and generals, it is still using the original BI map.

To be precise, I have changed the following files so they contain my map or only refeence the 2 provinces & factions in it:
    - map_regions
    - map_heights
    - map_ground_types
    - descr_strat
    - descr_regions_and_settlements_name_lookup
    - descr_mercenaries
    - descr_harvests
    - descr_disasters
    - the two radar maps

The following I have changed to be one colour:
    - map_trade_routes
    - map_roughness
    - map_features

the following I have left alone:
    - water_surface
    - map_climates

I have then deleted map & map_heights.hgt, and generated a new map_heights.hgt from my map_heights.

I have deleted the map.rtw file before I start, so what am I doing wrong? Why is the bloody thing only showing the BI map (and where is it getting it from) and not my new map?

Any help will definately earn cookies
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Default Re: Help with modding campaign map

Sounds rather strange - so are you saying your main window (not radar) map comes up BI shaped but with the two provinces spread across it? Are you putting all your new files in provincial campaign folder and not base? (not saying that's a problem just curious what your file structure is)

Only things I can think of :
    a). when you re-generated the map_heights.hgt you actually did it off the wrong map_heights.tga - try re-naming your .hgt to something else to test launching game without it.
    b). if map is same size as vanilla and doesn't have a .hgt in the provincial folder then the game reads the .hgt in the base folder - I don't know whether that could apply if you have a new map_heights.hgt in the provincial campaign folder as well !? If map is same size try re-naming the .hgt file in base to test without that.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Sounds rather strange - so are you saying your main window (not radar) map comes up BI shaped but with the two provinces spread across it? Are you putting all your new files in provincial campaign folder and not base? (not saying that's a problem just curious what your file structure is)
    When I open the provincial campaign both the radar map & the main map are the original BI ones, but the province layout (and generals etc) are my changed ones.

All files are in the provincial folder.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Only things I can think of :
    a). when you re-generated the map_heights.hgt you actually did it off the wrong map_heights.tga - try re-naming your .hgt to something else to test launching game without it.
    b). if map is same size as vanilla and doesn't have a .hgt in the provincial folder then the game reads the .hgt in the base folder - I don't know whether that could apply if you have a new map_heights.hgt in the provincial campaign folder as well !? If map is same size try re-naming the .hgt file in base to test without that.
    I'll try those two (plus a couple of others I have thought of), many thanks.

(I'm just glad it wasn't anything too obvious,

sorted - or at least I know where I was going wrong, map too complicated!