Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Sicilian Vespers 1.x

Default The Sicilian Vespers 1.x

The Sicilian Vespers version 1.0 has been released.

Download Links:

The Sicilian Vespers v1.0

The Sicilian Vespers v1.1 Patch

The Sicilian Vespers 1.2 Patch

Splash Art - The Triumph of Death by Antonello da Messina

The Sicilian Vespers is the name given to a rebellion in Sicily in 1282 against the rule of the Angevin king Charles I of Naples, who had taken control of the island with Papal support in 1266. It was the beginning of the eponymous War of the Sicilian Vespers.

The rising had its origin in the struggle between the Hohenstaufen-ruled Holy Roman Empire and the Papacy for control over Italy. When Hohenstaufen Manfred of Sicily was defeated in 1266, the kingdom of Sicily was entrusted to Charles of Anjou by Pope Urban IV.

Charles regarded his Sicilian territories as a springboard for his Mediterranean ambitions, which included the overthrow of the Byzantine emperor Michael VIII Palaeologus. His French officials (who governed Sicily badly) mistreated native Sicilians with rape, theft and murder.

There are two interpretations, not necessarily exclusive, of events. One stresses the weltpolitik of Michael Palaeologus and the Aragonese king Peter III, Manfred's son-in-law, in fomenting the revolt; the other concentrates on the unpopularity of Charles's rule among native Sicilians. The latter view gained popularity during the Risorgimento when it was propounded by the patriot Michele Amari. Regarding the former, Michael VIII in his autobiography wrote: "Should I dare to claim that I was God's instrument to bring freedom to the Sicilians, then I should only be stating the truth."
    "Sicilian Vespers" (1846), by Francesco Hayez

The event is named because the insurrection began at the start of vespers on Easter Monday (March 30, 1282) at the Church of the Holy Spirit just outside Palermo. Thousands of Sicily's French inhabitants were massacred over the next six weeks. The events that started the uprising are not known for sure but the retellings have common elements.

According to Steven Runciman, Sicilians at the church were engaged in holiday festivities and a group of French officials came by to join in and began to drink. A sergeant named Drouet dragged a young married woman from the crowd, pestering her with his advances. Her husband then attacked Drouet with a knife, killing him. When the other Frenchmen tried to avenge their comrade the Sicilian crowd fell upon them, killing them all. At that moment all the church bells in Palermo began to ring for Vespers.

According to Leonardo Bruni (1416), the Palermitans were holding a festival outside the city when the French came up to check for weapons and on that pretext began to fondle the breasts of their women. This then started a riot, the French were attacked first with rocks, then weapons, killing them all. The news spread to other cities leading to revolt throughout Sicily. "By the time the furious anger at their insolence had drunk its fill of blood, the French had given up to the Sicilians not only their ill-gotten riches but their lives as well".

Taking advantage of the revolt, King Peter III of Aragon launched a successful invasion, becoming also Peter I of Sicily.

Charles remained in control of the mainland Kingdom of Naples until his death in 1285 and his heirs continued to reign there until Peter's successors reunited the territories in 1442. (wikipedia)

---------------------------------------------------------------

**LIST OF FEATURES:

- Campaign start date of 1311

- Playable Factions:
    Kingdom of Sicily
    Kingdom of Aragon
    Kingdom of Naples
    Republic of Genoa
    Republic of Venice
    The Papal States
    Byzantine Empire
    Kingdom of Castilla y Leon
    Kingdom of Portugal
    Holy Roman Empire
    Kingdom of France
    Kingdom of Denmark
    Kingdom of Scotland
    Kingdom of England
    Kingdom of Poland
    Kingdom of Hungary
    Grand Principality of Vladimir
    Golden Horde
    Ilkhanate of Persia
    Mameluk Sultanate
    Ottoman Sultanate
    Merinid Sultanate

- Regions & Provinces map v2.1 Custom

- Six new provinces:
    Malta
    Majorca
    Corfu
    Negroponte
    Morea
    Chios

- 2 new factions:

The Catalans/Kingdom of Aragon
    The Angevins/Kingdom of Naples

- Zephs Eras and General Mod

- Darth DiplomacyCampaign War AI pack version 2.5

- Blood, Broads, & Bastards v1.9

- WhiteWolf's Byzantium Armor Progression V 0.7

- burrek's Knights and Knaves v0.95

- Eternal Turk Reskin 1.1

** INSTALLATION:

Before starting I suggest you install this mod in a copy of your MTWII folder that is NOT unpacked.

********** BACKUP ANY OF YOUR FILES THAT MY BE REPLACED **********

1) Unzip into your MTWII directory, the file structure should be maintained.

2) Copy the "fmv" folder from your main MTWII directory.

3) Copy the contents of your medieval2.preference.cfg into SicilianVespers.cfg.

4) Run Launch_SicilianVespers.bat to play. Enjoy

Sincerest thanks to all the folks who have contributed to "The Sicilian Vespers":

- Sb2ean: Regions & Provinces mod 2.1
    - Ramtha: Renaissance Total War
    - Zephrelial: Eras and General Mod
    - Zephrelial: Teutonic Order Mod
    - Darth: Diplomacy/Campaign War AI pack version 2.5
    - Dearmad & Pnutmaster: Blood, Broads, & Bastards v1.9
    - WhiteWolf: Byzantium Armor Progression V 0.7
    - Burrek: Knights and Knaves v0.95
    - Himmelsfeuer: Retextured French Shields
    - Zhukov: France Coat of Arms and banner Fix (modified)
    - Boicote: Portvcale v0.2
    - Salty: Sicilian Shields (modified)
    - Ziher: Spain shields retexture
    - Eternal Cocoon: Eternal Turk Reskin 1.1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The New Provinces:

Majorca

Corfu

Malta

Frankish Greece
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of the new units:

Sardi Mercenaries

Sicilian Comitiva

Provencal Met-at-Arms

Angevin Men-at-Arms

The Catalans

The Angevins

Catalans in Battle

Angevins in Battle
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sicilian Knights (ex. Norman Knights + modified Sicilian Shield pack)

Aragonese Feudal Knights

Angevin Chivalric Knights
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; April 05, 2007 at 05:27 AM.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Default Re: The Sicilian Vespers - Preview

Good job SicilianVespers! I am looking forward to it! Hve you thought about making a smaller map, concentrating on eastern iberia and south Italy? Good luck!
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Thy's Avatar Libertus

looks great! the best of luck with the rest

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

How is Scotland on the faction list when the map stops in Northern France?

Looks great by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR Fan View Post
    Good job SicilianVespers! I am looking forward to it! Hve you thought about making a smaller map, concentrating on eastern iberia and south Italy? Good luck!
    This is basically my personal Late era mod. I thought about a new map, but it would require more time than I have for modding right now.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)

@SicilianVespers

This mod looks promising. So is it the RegionsProvinces 2.1 map plus those 6 new provinces?

Are you gonna wait until the new patch comes out before you release it? Or release it and then update it after the patch? Hopefully, it's the latter 'cause I can't wait to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bkyn75 View Post
    @SicilianVespers

This mod looks promising. So is it the RegionsProvinces 2.1 map plus those 6 new provinces?

Are you gonna wait until the new patch comes out before you release it? Or release it and then update it after the patch? Hopefully, it's the latter 'cause I can't wait to try it out!
    It is the 2.1 map, plus the provinces I have added. I am also planning on adding a few more provinces in Italy and around Tunisia.

I think I will release it, and then update it.

@finneys13
    The map included all of Scotland, and part of Scandinavia.

@all
    The first post has been updated with battle pics showing some banners.
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; March 03, 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Fresco's Avatar Semisalis

I can't wait!!!! Any estimated date for the release????
    However very compliment for your great work!!!!

Grande Antonello,e' tutto fantastico,mi hai fatto venire l'acquolina in bocca.....
    CAMPIONI del MONDO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fresco View Post
    I can't wait!!!! Any estimated date for the release????
    However very compliment for your great work!!!!

Grande Antonello,e' tutto fantastico,mi hai fatto venire l'acquolina in bocca.....
    Thanks, it won't be long, it is just about done.

BTW, I just fixed the faction symbols in the battle UI.
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; March 03, 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Best of luck SV.

But please make a new faction icon for Denmark.. It pains me to see that viking raven..
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Great Era you choosed and the factions are perfect. I'm looking forward to have a go at it!

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Hey SV, there you are no wonderr that you aren't around at Chivalry

Good luck with this project, i'll play it for sure
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

@DaVinci,
    Just sharpening my skills Actually a one man project is much easier when strapped for time.

@Atterdag,
    I think that will have to wait for a followup, but I can definitely understand your view. It just doesn't look like Denmark to me.

@Berengario,
    Thanks, I as actually re-reading The Decline and Fall of Medieval Sicily, and I got inspired. Frederick III is another of my favorite kings.

Any news?
    CAMPIONI del MONDO!!!!!

Added Sicilian (modified), Spanish and French shield packs.

First post updated with a few unit screen shots.

I am hoping to get it uploaded by the weekend.

Outstanding tasks:
    - Change Genoese banners.
    - Add provinces (Djerba, Naxos, Siracusa, and Abruzzi)
    - Add Serbia and Bulgaria

I will probably only add the Genoese banner/faction symbols for this release.

Good News,I hope that this weekend I can download your fantastic Mod!!!!
    Complimenti per l'aggiunta della mia regione(Abruzzi)!!!!!
    CAMPIONI del MONDO!!!!!

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Looks fantastic, but instead of calling that city in Asia Minor 'Phrygia', you might want to try 'Smyrna'. 'Phrygia' was the ancient Greek name for Asia Minor. Also, 'Chios' is the island South of the one that you put it on. The island that you named 'Chios' is actually Lesbos, and its capital city was Mitylene. Oh, and you got Arta on the wrong side of the Ambracian Gulf. It should be on the North. Perhaps also it would be better to call 'Durazzo' 'Dyrrachium'? 'Durazzo' is a modern Italian name.
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; March 07, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

I have been meaning to change Phrygia, thanks for reminding me. Renamed to Smyrna.

As for Chios, the actual island was too small for a city, so I put the port on it. I wanted Chios as the main Genoese outpost in the Aegean, and it actually was a Byzantine theme that included Lesbos.

Since Albania was already under Italian influence, I think I prefer Durazzo.

Arta was just a rename of the original Regions& Provinces city. I will look into relocating it when I add additional provinces.

@Atterdag,
    Here you go my friend:

Courtesy of the Portvcale mod.
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; March 08, 2007 at 07:22 AM.

The Sicilian Vespers version 1.0 has been released.

The download link is in post # 1.

Default Re: The Sicilian Vespers 1.0

tnx, very nice.
    but i have a problem. i got no sound. when the game starts up i got sound, but soon as the campain map loads\starts it is no sound. i copied the M2TW cfg. to the mod cfg. as it said,. the game works fine , but no sound
    can anyone help i will be happy.
    Thanks....

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast