Thread: Security alert on install of Anno Domini 0.93

Default Security alert on install of Anno Domini 0.93

Earlier today I downloaded the install file for Anno Domini 0.93 from fileho.com (filefront was not working correctly); which is an official thread download link.

Upon running the install, one of my security software applications triggered (Computer Associates Pest Patrol) and warned that BlockChecker had been detected. I was able to terminate the install.

Further information:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453097276

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...082521-1906-99

http://www.block-checker.com/

I am surprised to see this and am wondering if something/someone has hijacked and altered the install file. If this is normal, please can someone explain why?

Thank you.

Default Re: Security alert on install of Anno Domini 0.93

If you're ever concerned a particular file might contain a virus, you can try getting it checked out here: http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    Last edited by Venom; March 03, 2007 at 06:08 AM.

I just downloaded the file from FileHo! and confronted it with the original one sitting on my PC. They are IDENTICAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizspy View Post
    Upon running the install, one of my security software applications triggered (Computer Associates Pest Patrol) and warned that BlockChecker had been detected. I was able to terminate the install.

Further information:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453097276

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...082521-1906-99

http://www.block-checker.com/
    BlockChecker? What are you talking about? From the link you provided is a MSN utility not a virus and, obviously, isn't even remotely related to the AD install program which is little more than a selfexpanding Zip file.

I am surprised to see this and am wondering if something/someone has hijacked and altered the install file. If this is normal, please can someone explain why?

Thank you.
    You are right to be surprised because none altered or hijacked anything. Probably your "security" (*cough cough*) software recognized a "print" that is similar to the one of another program, which isn't a virus or adware anyway.

My advice is:
    1) Spread rumor and panic about things you know well and you're pretty sure of. When in doubt go directly to point 3.
    2) Use serious security programs.
    3) Contact the creator of the file BEFORE spreading rumors in public boards.

Pest Patrol is a serious security program.
    It is produced by Computer Associates - http://ca.com/ It seems that many think they are a serious security company and have done so for many years.

I simply reported what had happened and not knowing how soon I could contact you, I posted to the board in case there was a problem; which may have affected others before you could address the issue. I had no idea about when you would access my message - whether you are at your PC, sleeping, working, whatever. I was trying to be helpful to the comunity at large, being aware that if there was a problem then it had the potential to affect large numbers of computers. I also sent you a PM about the problem as a courtesy.

The MSN utility is not liked by Symantec either, in addition to Computer Associates. A concern I had was whether it might have been using some sort of networking functionality to open a back door or create some other problem. Even "legitimate" software can be used for this purpose.

I had the impression that these boards were generally friendly and wrote my post in a helpful spirit/motivation. I did not expect such a nasty and condescending reply.

And thank you Venom for your suggestion.

I had the impression that these boards were generally friendly and wrote my post in a helpful spirit/motivation. I did not expect such a nasty and condescending reply.
    Spreading unverified rumors about a program being infested by viruses is not very helpful neither friendly toward the creator and the users of that program.

If you can't catch this simple concept I don't know what else to say.

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Yes, you can be banned for that. Are you working for competition? Bizspy?
    Last edited by Manuel Komnenos; March 04, 2007 at 09:29 AM.
    Why we dig up the past? To understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Komnenos View Post
    Yes, you can be banned for that. Are you working for competition? Bizspy?
    I'm pretty sure he didn't act with malice but I had to make the point clear also in the interest of him and all the community.

These are matters that have to be settled through private messages until definitive evidences are found, be my mod, some other people's mod or also Vanilla MTW2.

For example CA and Sega could suit you for bazillions bucks if you spread rumors like these about their products in public forums without having substantial evidences. Are we modders free game? I don't think so.

No I am not working for "the competition"; whoever they might be. I am not clued up on the cliques/competition on this site as that sort of thing is not "my cup of tea", however I presume it is some kind of problem from what Manuel has said. I have been a Beta Tester for End Of Days BI mod though that has no bearing on this. I avoid office politics etc. I only had a vague idea about what was recently going on with the site as a whole for example.

As it happens, I appreciate the different aspects of the varied Mods. Each one adds to the joy of living in a different way as one appreciates & experiences someone else's individual creativity.

I simply reported the factual circumstances of what had happened to me and I have already further explained why I posted to the board. I have a screen capture JPEG of the alert message from Pest Patrol which shows the install path, however I am now loathe to post a link to the file for obvious reasons.

No malice was intended by my post and I have previously enjoyed this mod (earlier version); which is why I downloaded the latest version.

In some other posts on the TWCenter forums I have positively commented on how I appreciate the efforts of modders. Being thankful, helpful and positive is an important part of living/spirituality etc and taking time to appreciate people is something worth doing.

I genuinely thought I was being helpful and have noticed other discussions in this and other forums about these types of things. I also thought that mentioning such a problem was the normal thing to do. An example:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ighlight=virus

My post posed a question for further information - there is a lot of strange stuff happening these days on the internet with files and security in general
    and I hoped that someone more knowledgeable than I would be able to provide some insight too. I was trying to be helpful to the comunity at large, being aware that if there was a problem then it had the potential to affect large numbers of computers before someone (mod maker) was aware of it/had a chance to fix it; if indeed there had a been a problem with the file.

Anyway, as a result of this situation I will certainly not be making anymore posts of this nature, or PM's about them, even if I found a virus for example. Neither will I ever again make posts about bugs I find in mods. In future I am going to have a policy of coming here to enjoy the mods, post compliments and ask questions only.

I certainly had no intention of offending and am sorry that my post has caused misunderstandings.

I'm sorry for your words Bizspy but you still miss the point which is very simple and clear.

Criticism is accepted, unfoundend rumors about inexistent dangers are not.

If you have doubts about a program being harmful contact PRIVATELY the creator of the program if you want to be helpful.

Spreading panic between the users is NOT HELPFUL.

Hello Re Berengario

I have explained why I acted the way I did.

I have also explained that I will not be mentioning bugs, viruses, Pest Patrol detections etc ever again on these forums.

And I said had no intention of offending and am sorry that my post has caused misunderstandings.

I would also add that had I had any idea that this situation would arise then I would have said nothing in the first place.

So please be assurred that I will never again say anything to anyone about viruses, security software detections, or bugs. I am not even going to mention bugs because they can be open to interpretation at times & can also be computer or OS/application conflict specific. This applies to any mod.

Please also be assurred that I now understand that posts such as mine are unwelcome, can lead to banning and should not be made. I regret making my post.

If it is of any help, perhaps the thread can be deleted. I would not object to this.

I was pretty sure from moment one you didn't act with malice so there's no need to delete anything or whatever. I don't have faith in censorship.

Feel free to continue to report bugs and constructive criticism.

Your posts on these matters are not only welcomed but needed.

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Bizspy, I was joking for competition. I forgot adding the smile, now I'm added it. But this must be discussed on pm.
    Why we dig up the past? To understand it.