Default Azincourt: my Herioc victory!

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.....

This was fun, a lot of fun. I played a custom battle on the Agincourt map, details:
    Very Hard setting, England: 13,000 florins, France 18,000 florins. As England I had 1 line of Longbows (with stakes deployed...) and 1 line of infantry. French were Heavy Cavalry, Infantry & 4 Xbow units.

I have some screenshots I'll post links to later but the result as super: HEROIC VICTORY - my first on Very Hard setting. The 2 armies were numerically almost a match 2,400 to 2,100 I think but France had at least 8 units of Heavy Cavalry. Remember: there's lots of evidence to suggest that half of the French army never fought at Azincourt but ran away once the vanguard had been massacred...

Here's how my Azincourt went:
    1. I deployed, as usual, between the 2 wooded areas on the flanks.
    2. Stakes deployed all along the line but the 2 flanks (at the entrance to the wooded areas) did not have stakes & so I deployed additional heavy infantry here to counter an expected cavalry charge.
    3. The French army deployed to the rear and marched forward to the opposite end of the open field (this looked really good and at times frightning!!!).
    4. The french army moves forward and sends Xbows down the field to fire at my infantry. Cavalry on both flanks spot the lack of stakes and head for my Yoeman archers.
    5. My archers take-out the Xbows quickly and my flank infantry ready themselves for the cavalry charges. My flank Longbows move back and into the midle of the English position.
    6. The French cavalry on both flanks engage and a big melee ensues (this goes on for most of the battle with charge and counter-charge).
    7. The main body of the french infantry reach my front line and charge. The main body of French cavalry does not have enough room to charge my front and hangs back.
    8. My Longbows move back and then continue to target the french heavy cavalry. My heavy infantry engage all along the line (this looks really, really cool) and hold the french back.
    9. The French continue to assualt flanks and centre (and the centre nearly collapses with one of my infantry units routing) My general unit moves in and plugs the gap.
    10. The French start to waver and several cavalry units (under constant longbow fire) either route or retreat.
    11. The French Infantry waver and fall back in some disarry. My infantry holds the line and wait for a french rally. This comes with about half the french units trying another charge. This fails.
    12. The French army routes completely and is chased by my heavy infantry.
    HEROIC VICTORY!!!!

Couple of points to mention: the battle took along time; probably the best infantry battle I've played; The French had 5,000 Florins more than England; it was my first heroic victory at Very Hard level; those deployed stakes (I'll have to check) didn't kill many cavalry but stopped them charging. Finally: my flanks held firm!!!

Last edited by THoR_FyreNiR; March 01, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

Default Re: Azincourt: my Herioc victory!

great victory have u saved the battle replay ?/

btw moved to AAR
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

here's the replay:

http://www.totalgamezlive.com/M2TW/r.../Azincourt.rpy

don't forget to fast-forward thru the deployment phase...;-)
    Last edited by THoR_FyreNiR; March 01, 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Some screenshots I took during the battle...

View from above the French positions as they advance. Already the French have taken significant casualties from archer fire. You can also see the French heavy cavalry in some confusion behind the main line of French heavy infantry...

View from the Englsih left flank at Azincourt: both armies exchange arrowfire - but the superior archer numbers of the English army will force the French to close in...

View from the English right flank as the French army charge thru the pikes - the English yeoman archers have moved back from the front-line and allowed the English heavy infantry to take the force of the charge. Already the English right flank is under great pressure from both cavalry and infantry...

View from the centre of the battle field at the height of the battle - the thin English line is pushed back and the General's Unit (King Henry V ...lol) is forced to come forward and hold firm the line...

View from the centre of the battlefiled from behind the french line...The Dismounted English Knights hold firm...

View from the English right flank. The French cavalry, despite forcing the English line back some distance, have taken serious casualties and are forced to retreat...

View from the French centre after prolonged fighting... The French Cavalry, with no room to charge and dismayed at finding stakes blocking their path have only been able to provide useful target practice for the English Archers...

View from behind the French line... unable to break the English line and still under accurate and intense archer fire the French withdraw in disarray...

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Very cool, very good screenshots! This is the first battle I have seen that really looks epic. Good job.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Probably because hes, playing on full settings. DAMNIT! I wish I had a good graphic card.

Centenarius

very good battle! liked the screen they make a feeling of a movie

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMarine View Post
    Probably because hes, playing on full settings. DAMNIT! I wish I had a good graphic card.
    I have a Sony Viao VGN-SZ2HP/B Laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 7400 128MB card. Most M2TW settings are medium to high. I'd love to get a laptop upgrade and be able to switch on anti-aliasing - that would make a big difference on the close-ups...

Centenarius

i have 6800gs 256mb and i play without AA but everything else is nearly maxed. and my FPS is 15 lol

Just out of curiousity, you didn't fight this battle out in vanilla did you? I would think you had some problems countering french cavalry with billmen or your dismounted english knights. Oh...and I guess I just noticed that this wasn't the pre-packaged Agincourt battle

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

Those pics are awesome. Great footage man, and thats impressive heroic victory, to win that battle while taking all those screenshots mustve been fun hehe.

I have a nvidia 7800 GT oc, and 2 gigs of ram, i wish i would remember to take screenshots during battles. I usually smoke while i play though so im pretty forgetful

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus

Quote Originally Posted by Zhou View Post
    Just out of curiousity, you didn't fight this battle out in vanilla did you? I would think you had some problems countering french cavalry with billmen or your dismounted english knights. Oh...and I guess I just noticed that this wasn't the pre-packaged Agincourt battle
    M2TW 1.1 vanilla. If you watch the replay you will notice that were the French Cavalry do not have deployed stakes to cope with - or french heavy infantry in the way - they do really well (routing an English Inf unit on the English right flank).

Throughout the battle I focused my archer fire on the flank cavalry charges - this really upset the force of the charge and quickly sent the cavalry morale from impetuous to shaken or even wavering...

In the centre of the battle the french cavalry simply did not get close to the english line - only about 150 French were killed by the stakes - the rest was by archer fire or by the sword....

My biggest gripe with CA is the Longbow Archers fire much to slowly - they should be firing once every 7 or 8 seconds... also their range is way too short... at Azincourt the English advanced until they were within LB range of the French Vanguard - this forced the French to charge - You simply cannot model this in M2TW as it stands...

However, I've watched the replay a couple of times just keeping the camera on the English flanks and it really does look realistic - the initial cavalry charge on the english right flank is devestating - and the infantry are pushed right back - but the french can't get enough cavalry thru to make it count - the ebb and flow is awesome...

I didn't use the pre-packaged Azincourt as this does not provide an outcome that could ever look like what really happened on the day. My result reflects what actually happened...casualty rates...stages of the battle...and final result...
    Last edited by THoR_FyreNiR; March 02, 2007 at 04:37 AM.

Isn't it called "Agincourt"?

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Yes, it is called Agincourt, but it doesn't really matter in my opinion.
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

No I guess not, but I started to question my own knowledge as it was being referred to "Azincourt" frequently. Just a clarification on my behalf ^_-

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    No I guess not, but I started to question my own knowledge as it was being referred to "Azincourt" frequently. Just a clarification on my behalf ^_-
    Sorry I've lived in France too long The town is called Azincourt - but that's too difficult to pronounce in English so they decided to call it Agincourt - just like Blucher wanted to call the battle La Belle Alliance (which was the logical name since that village was on the battlefield) but Wellington decided Waterloo (which is miles away..) was easier to remember.

My mind is at rest now, thank you.