Thread: Weak Cavalry Charge?

Default Weak Cavalry Charge?

Im not sure if anything in this mod changes the power of cavalry charge, but it seems to me that it is increddibly weak. For realism sake cavalry should have a very powerfull charge. Even against early period spearmen a cavalry charge should kill at least half the unit of say militia spearmen. Miedeval period in history is know for the Cavalry and the tactics which were developed around it. Cavalry was the Inter-Contenental Balistic missile of its time, and its lame to see a Unit of Mailed Knights say, completly stopped by some peasant unarmored, undisiplined Spear Militia or Town Watch. It took disiplined well armed infantry units to really stop a cavalry charge.

On a side note the tactics for a cavalry charge is not to charge your opponent and then get into a fight. It was to CHARGE THROUGH an enemy, passing completly through enemy troops and killing as many of them as you can, then reforming, wheeling around and doing it again. Thats the perfect cavalry charge. Getting bogged down in a fight, or having to pull off the way you came were not the objective. The Vanilla game did not seem to understand this. Against spearmen or a heavy mass of disiplined troops your not going to break through, but against most infantry you would. If you charge a unit of peasants, with Mailed nights say, you will route the peasants in that charge. Realisticly your knights would pass through the peasants, not bog down and start fighing them.

So im not sure if you agree, but if you do could it be worked where when cavalry charges its goal is not to hit the front ranks and start fighting, but to PASS THROUGH enemy formations, and only when the attacked enemy unit effects the charge would they bog down.

Default Re: Weak Cavalry Charge?

Given that an average calvary unit is larger (in box size) than an average infantry unit, if the calvary were to run completely through the infantry block, virtually everyone would be dead before you got around to the 2nd pass. This makes for terrible gameplay if you consider the charge to be almost impossible to withstand (the ICBM of its time).

It would probably be easier to explain what happened in your game specifically that you were unsatisfied with.

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

I have said this to so many, this mod and others aim for balance, everyone and anyone is more then welcome to change it to their own preferences. This is not a realism mod, if you want that then you will have to do it in the EDU, that's what i do at least.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sadly Im not MOD "savvy" enough to feel comfortable tinkering in my EDU or any other program files. I think this mod is the best one out there and love what its doing for the gameplay. I was just throwing somthing out there to see what you guys thought.
    Keep up the great work.

seems like calvary is still overpower no matter how weak you describe them -.-
    i can still knock out least half of any non-spear division w/ a good charge w/ reliable knights

experience is a must!

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

There is no problem suggesting something, as long as no one expects this mod to change always based on personal preference. Tinkering with the EDU does not involve any real "skill" (although some modders may debate this) You could start slowly, experiment (make sure to back up though!) and see what happens

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero