Thread: Honoring alliances

Default Honoring alliances

When 2 of your allies declare war on eachother, does the game ask you to pick a side?
    or does it just let you stay allied to both?
    ive never been asked to honor an alliance in the game, and i think that it is a bad idea to let someone be allied to two nations at war.
    If you had to pick a side powerblocks would form better.
    also, most of the best classic wargames made you pick a side when 2 allies declare war on eachother.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Honoring alliances

This doesn't happen to my knowledge anymore.

This was one of the aspects of RTW that really bothered me, making you pick a side, when clearly you have spent a lot of time making and keeping peace and alliances. You shouldn't have to pick a side, you should remain neutral to the conflict and try to resolve it.

This is a clear case of realism versus gameplay, where I believe the current setting is perfect

Powerblocks form perfectly fine now!

i miss the honouring alliances bit....if i am not mistaken it was there in MTW.
    i think it would make sense to retain it...and would certainly lead to formation of better power blocks....although i would agree that power blocks form even now....and pretty damn well and logically at that....but honouring alliances should be included..

Yes maybe it should have been included as it is logical to pick a side than be with both.
    Although this seems to help the AI with current Darth Diplomacy to maintain the alliances better.

I liked the feature in MTW that forced you to pick sides if two of your allies declared war on each other. It doesn't make sense to be the ally of two warring factions - you could be an ally to one and neutral to the other, but not allied to both.

Seldom do I see a situation in MTW2 where you and your ally would fight a battle together against a common enemy. This happened alot in MTW because if there were two allied armies in a region along with an enemy, everyone was automatically included in the battle. If you won, the city (region) would be awarded to the ally who had the most troops in the fight. This used to piss me off when I wanted to take over an enemy city, and one of my allies would horn in with more troops, and I was basically helping my ally to get a city that I wanted. With friends like that, who needs enemies?
    Last edited by chaos; February 28, 2007 at 09:08 PM.