Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sicily Campaign

Default Sicily Campaign

What do you think are good tips and strategies for Sicily? What are sone things I should avoid playing as Sicily?
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,

But because he loves what is behind him.

Default Re: Sicily Campaign

Take Rome as soon as possible

Goose's Avatar Civis

I'm playing Sicily now myself. Using navies to dominate the seas, and expand all around the coastal regions of Spain, Italy and Northern Africa.
    Currently moving into Egypt with 2 stacks, towards the Holy Lands occupied by long time ally Poland

With Sicily, try to expand south quickly. Try to take the African territories, especially Tunis which would be a handy port. Also, try to take Ajaccio and Cagliari which would also make good trading posts/reinforcing positions.

"Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue...but if you can you should only do things you love" - Bruce Dickinson
    -Member of S.I.N.

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus
    SJ, MM, Republic of the Banana (Philippines)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan156 View Post
    What do you think are good tips and strategies for Sicily? What are sone things I should avoid playing as Sicily?
    I assume you mean in M2TW Vanilla? Well, Goose and General Danilius pretty much stated it all. Take Ajaccio and Cagliari as soon as possible, then over into Tunis and expand into Africa. Make an alliance with Spain and Portugal to attack the Moors (diverting their attention from you in Africa), likewise, try to make trade relations with Milan, Venice, Byzantium to help earn money.

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolf View Post
    ??? That's a great way to get excommunicated. Do this only if you like having the other catholic factions go to town on you.

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolf View Post

Don`t do this all catholic factions will be on you quick in the game and I assure you that you don`t want that
    TIME TO DIE!!!! Proud Son of Viking Prince

Alright, lets say im allied with Italy, Germany, and Greece. My main opponent is the muslim factions, who is the weakest after the moors?

Lopus's Avatar Biarchus
    SJ, MM, Republic of the Banana (Philippines)

Attack the Egyptians (Fatamids) early on before they get to build their Mamelukes. Likewise the Turks (Seljouks) if given time would develop their Janissaries. I tend to leave the Moors (Almoravids) last as they are technically the weakest (assuming given time to develop).

Personally though, I would go after the Greeks (Byzantines) before anyone else.

I've just started a sicily campaign on H/H (+ uAI 1.3) and I found that only if you push really hard at the start you can get all the surrounding rebel settlements (the 2 islands, tunis and tripoli and duzz.... (albania)). But you need to push really hard and use all your units, otherwise milan or venice will beat you to one of the city's (i mean villages). It took me a couple of tries. I found it very difficult (if not impossible) to get my economy going without taking all rebel settlements, but thats because of uAI.

Yes I found that an economy is very difficult at the beggining without many cities and most of what Sicily captures are castles.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Playing as Sicily with Ultimate AI 1.3, H/H settings:

First ten turns

- To control Venetian expansion, I send Alberto and one mercenary spearman to capture the Durazzo settlement.

- Prince Simon, mailed knights, mounted sergeants and two Italian spear militia obtain a galley and sail to Sardinia, capturing the settlement.

- Once Sardinia is in my possession, Corsica falls by the same force, with one Italian spear militia remaining behind as garrison on Sardinia.

- If Milan has not already captured Florence, I send King Roger and two Italian spear militia to subdue the city, otherwise, their force is bolstered by mounted units and they are sent across the Mediterranean to crush El Cid at Valencia.

From turn Ten onward

- Provided that the Moors have not captured Tunis, and the Venetians/Milanese has not taken the other African province (name escapes me), it is quickly scooped up and heavily fortified (in preparation for a coming Crusade).

- I spend turn after turn simply developing my cities and creating two main standing armies. One army will remain in Sicily to oversee domestic affairs, the second will depart for Palestine once the Pope or I declare Crusade on Jerusalem.

Honestly, my campaigns never extend beyond 1099 and the first Crusade--I'm suffering from a nasty turn of the century-1100 CTD :/...
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

What should I do about my navy? I know that I could become a major mediteranean sea power, what can help me best? Do cities or castles gice the better ships?

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan156 View Post
    What should I do about my navy? I know that I could become a major mediteranean sea power, what can help me best? Do cities or castles gice the better ships?
    Shipwrights give you access to war galleys, the equivalent/superior of the pirate vessels that harass everything in their path. I usually create fleets of five-six ships, and I only use mercenary galleys to temporarily transport my armies. Upkeep is horrendous...
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Take rebel islands near you - (Corisca, Crete if rebel etc. ) - get south to Africa, elimnate Moors and get the Timbuktu with your merchants. Try with Crusade take Antioch. Cyprus would be appreciated - turned into castle. That is all.

I am playing pretty loose, but for first time I am actually having a tough go as Sicily. Controlling all of the Iberian Peninsula and all coastal towns around the Mediterrean from there to Constantinople to the north and Algeirs to the south. I have actually lost cities to AI.

I think it has to do with the fact that I am at war with practically every other faction

So if you want a challenge - just get excommunicated and go to war with all nations you encounter.
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

As Sicily, I like using the Pope as a buffer....there is a very narrow corridor around the Papal States to reach your southern Italian holdings. If you are ever threatened by Venice/HRE, just park a couple units in a fort, and Naples will never be in any danger.

As for expansion, I like taking Tunis, Algiers, Tripoli, and Marrakesh as my main territory, then, depending on which wars you can intervene in, you may expand into Spain, Egypt, the Balkans, or all three

depends where u want to expand; north into europe is a problem, bacasue when you declare war on a country, the pope gets angry and they don't give up till you take ALL of europe. Island hopping to the holy land is good, just got to make sure you convert all the population as quick as you can. Or take spain, part of france and then england XD

The Sicily campaign is both easy and hard (at least, for me it was).

It is easy because you have have a central location in the middle of the Mediterranean, which makes it easy to expand, and you probably won't get into any life-or-death struggles with any factions (as in, where your homeland is threatened).

It is hard because most of the ways you can expand bring you into contact with powerful factions. Go north, fight Milan, the HRE, or Venice. Go east, and fight Byzantium and Egypt. Go west, and fight France or Spain. Go south and fight the Moors (these are usually the easiest). I would say it is best to expand a little in all directions, though in my campaign I favored the south first, for the least resistance, and later north, for the richest lands.

Keep in mind that you are likely going to have to appease the Pope, as you will certainly come into conflict with the other Italians. I would suggest Crusading to get into his good book, as you are very capable of reaching the Holy Lands first. In my campaign as Sicily I controlled Adana, Antioch, and Jerusalem.

Prince Rodrigo's Avatar Tiro

Take Corsica and Sardina and Tunis quickly to your Norman Sicilian Empire. I suggest taking Durazzo and that Venetian castle and Zagreb and then attack Milan and Venice and Florence and ally with Florence

If you're as dumb as me, attack Rome on the first turn

Drag529's Avatar Tiro

start up with allances and trade...also build up ur income by building ports, roads etc
    In War Its Dosn't Mater Who's Right, But Instead Whos Left.
    Going Down In Flames

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast