Thread: Live Giant Squid pics

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Default Live Giant Squid pics

Well, well, well. Looks like those Japanese scientists aren't the only ones who've gotten pics of live Giant Squid. Looks like some Asian commercial squid fisherman has also got some pictures. Much closer and much higher quality as well. Look at this

It's been confirmed by Cephalopod expert, Dr. Steve O'Shea to be a Giant Squid. How about this one?

and this

Pretty amazing huh? All much better quality photographs than this little thing

Anyways, all those pictures are confirmed as Giant Squid by Dr. O'Shea, a ranking expert. Any thoughts on these amazing pictures?

EDIT: Also, there's this pretty good close-up picture
    Last edited by Eric; February 23, 2007 at 07:18 PM.
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Live Giant Squid pics

I'm pretty sure Giant squids have been confirmed for quite a while now.

But anyways the Squid look pretty cool
    Last edited by -Conan the Barbarian-; February 23, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

They've been confirmed but not many good pictures have been around.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

turtle's Avatar Ordinarius

Yes, giant squid have been confirmed for some time now, but no one has been able to get high quality pictures... until now, I guess.

Nice pictures... too bad there wasn't a little more reference as to how large the animal is, like a boat or a hand or something. I saw a person in one of the images, which suggested that one to be fairly large, but the others don't have any kind of reference to its length or width, which kind of sucks. Since they are giant squid, it would be nice to see exactly how giant they are, wouldn't you agree.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -Socrates
    "To see things in the seed, that is genius" -Lao Tzu
    "What one sees is never the one truth." -Turtle Freeman
    "Self-indulgant betrayal will raise cold walls difficult to scale." -Turtle Freeman
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Kongzi

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

I'm glad all these photos are turning up down south around Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I'd be scared :wub: if I was a Canadian fisherman, innocently trawling for a catch, i'm hauling up my line and a squid larger than a city bus, with pale eyes as big as hubcaps and waving tentacles like angry snakes shows up. Yeah i'd be freaked out. Besides, I always used to have nightmares about giant squid and octopus when I was little, so this would definetely be a throwback to my darkest dreams.

Yeah If I caught a Giant Squid, I wouldn't even make an attempt to save it for science, I would try and kill that son-of-a-***** with everything I had onboard.
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

turtle's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yeah If I caught a Giant Squid, I wouldn't even make an attempt to save it for science, I would try and kill that son-of-a-***** with everything I had onboard.
    Well now, that's not very friendly... what if the squid had a wife and kids to go home to. Are you going to send them a check on the first and call it good, or what?

No, I'm just kidding. I would definately be freaked out if I fished one of that size up out of the deeps. But I'd probably kill it in a manner as to preserve it for scientists, they might appreciate the gesture and give you a ride on the Nautilus.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -Socrates
    "To see things in the seed, that is genius" -Lao Tzu
    "What one sees is never the one truth." -Turtle Freeman
    "Self-indulgant betrayal will raise cold walls difficult to scale." -Turtle Freeman
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Kongzi

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

Yeah those are way better than the Japanese submarine film, even if it did catch it in it's natural environment.

Are some of the rest the recent ones an NZ trawler picked up? Because I think that one was dead and was stuck to a Patagonian Toothfish (I only caught a bit of the article on the news). What's the one with the person with the torch on the rocks?

The battle between giant squid and sperm whale is so fantastically epic. Both locked in an eternal struggle for dominance, just like the tiger and the dragon in asian folklore.

Giant squids are rad. They're so misterious beings, we don't know much of their natural habitat and stuff like that... Don't they live in very high deep seas?
    I also like a being similar to the Giant Squids, Celecants...
    emptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyempty
    or not?

High deep seas? You mean sea far from the coast that's 10km deep?
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Yeah I meant that, Lord Sigilus... I just didn't get the right words to express it, lol.

Those beings are so strange giant squids, lol.
    emptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyemptyempty
    or not?

Why do you keep calling me LS? You know my real name...

Anyway, those pictures are amazing, maybe the Japanese scientists were members of the Yakuza or whatever is the name of the Jap Mafia and wanted to hide something, lol. But how many have been found, anyway??
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham