Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Parthia

Default About Parthia

i have NEVER, EVER in all the time i've played RTW and it's mods, encountered parthia. EVER. I've only fought armenia once, and the scythians very rarely. Now as i understand it, the Ptolies were on their way out by the time rome came along, and the seleucids were basically non-existant... so why is it that i can never face these enemies which (especially the sarmatians/scythians and the parthians) gave Rome such a good smacking on several occaisions... any idea how i can actually increase their chances of lasting through the campaign? (i play as rome, btw)

Default Re: About Parthia

Well, if you gave them a huge sum of cash at the campaign start, it would probably jump-start them towards victory over the Seleucids...

and how exactly do i do that?

send a diplomat to parthia, select "make single payment"

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

No, I mean edit the files before starting the game to boost their cash reserves by a hundred thousand or more...

i knew what you meant cherryfunk i was just unsure which files to edit! and if you could also tell me which files i have to edit to get rid of the provincial borders on the campaign mini map?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Just be a little patient. Patch9a will come out this weekend, and on the Big map, Parthia does very well. Also, the borders will be gonw by default in this patch.
    Seleucid is overpowered on the Mundus, because they hold too much territory.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

well, how about giving the seleucids less starting territory to the north and north west? that gives parthia and armenia to expand into the seleucid sphere of influence... still, grand mod
    can't wait for the the patch.

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    i knew what you meant cherryfunk i was just unsure which files to edit! and if you could also tell me which files i have to edit to get rid of the provincial borders on the campaign mini map?
    read my post in about removing borders for your own future reference.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83777

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Just be a little patient. Patch9a will come out this weekend, and on the Big map, Parthia does very well. Also, the borders will be gonw by default in this patch.
    Seleucid is overpowered on the Mundus, because they hold too much territory.
    On my current campaign the selucids were easily destroyed by the ptolemics and the ptolemics ate up all of the east. This is on Mundus Magnus. I love the variety in how every campaign is different compared to the vanilla one that was usually the same.

Good Work

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    so why is it that i can never face these enemies which (especially the sarmatians/scythians and the parthians) gave Rome such a good smacking on several occaisions... any idea how i can actually increase their chances of lasting through the campaign?

PLEASE DONT REMIND ME

53 BC - Battle of Carrhae - Roman triumvir Crassus is defeated and killed by the Parthians

62 - Battle of Rhandeia - Romans under Lucius Caesennius Paetus are defeated by a Parthian-Armenian army under King Tiridates of Parthia.

161 - a revitalized Parthian Empire renewed its assault, defeating two Roman armies and invading Armenia and Syria. Marcus Aurelius sent his joint emperor Verus to command the legions in the east to face this threat. The war ended successfully in 166, although the merit must be mostly ascribed to subordinate generals like Gaius Avidius Cassius. On the return from the campaign, Verus was awarded with a triumph; the parade was unusual because it included the two emperors, their sons and unmarried daughters as a big family celebration. Marcus Aurelius' two sons, Commodus, five years old, and Annius Verus, of three, were elevated to the status of Caesar for the occasion.

36 BC- And let's not forget Marc Antony's blunders.......

AND if Caesar wasnt assassinated his next campaigns would have been (a successful campaign with triumphs) against the parthians - he wanted to avenge the death of his friend Crassus and regain the stolen/captured eagles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthia...icts_with_Rome

double post - computer freaked - sorry
    Double post deleted - Tyr
    Last edited by Dominus Latronis of Troy; February 24, 2007 at 10:31 AM.
    Dominius Latronius Dominarus: An Elder HighBorn: Latronii Dominaruses: Gens Latronia, Alea iacta est"

Gaius Marius Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus Latronis of Troy View Post
    62 - Battle of Rhandeia - Romans under Lucius Caesennius Paetus are defeated by a Parthian-Armenian army under King Tiridates of Parthia.
    Tiridates (or Drtad in Armenian) was a Parthian noble, but he was king of Armenia, not Parthia. He started the Armenian Arshakouni dynasty which mainly tangled with Parthian, Roman, and subsequently Sassanid armies.

And also, don't forget that it was Armenia that conquered the Seleucid Empire and ended it as a political force.

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Tiridates (or Drtad in Armenian) was a Parthian noble, but he was king of Armenia, not Parthia. He started the Armenian Arshakouni dynasty which mainly tangled with Parthian, Roman, and subsequently Sassanid armies.

And also, don't forget that it was Armenia that conquered the Seleucid Empire and ended it as a political force.
    was going by the encyclopedia

was crowned king of Armenia by the Roman emperor Nero in 66 AD; in the future, the king of Armenia was to be a Parthian prince, but his appointment required approval from the Romans. Even though this made Armenia a client kingdom, various contemporary Roman sources thought that Nero had de facto ceded Armenia to Parthia
    Dominius Latronius Dominarus: An Elder HighBorn: Latronii Dominaruses: Gens Latronia, Alea iacta est"

Gaius Marius Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus Latronis of Troy View Post
    was going by the encyclopedia

was crowned king of Armenia by the Roman emperor Nero in 66 AD; in the future, the king of Armenia was to be a Parthian prince, but his appointment required approval from the Romans. Even though this made Armenia a client kingdom, various contemporary Roman sources thought that Nero had de facto ceded Armenia to Parthia
    That's exactly what I said, he was Parthian, but he was king of Armenia and not Parthia like you said before.

Patrician

I'm hoping that Parthia, in patch9a, will be far more powerful and viable. That's my intention, anyway. However, they are going to also be more historical. Cavalry, cavalry, and more cavalry. Very little infantry.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

how will they take cities then? cavalry are useless at sieges... and as you may be aware, the later wars with parthia consisted mainly of sieges, rather than of grand sweeping campaigns.... so perhaps giving them some more infantry after the marian reforms might counter that, (arent cataphracts triggered by them anyway?)

Patrician

I can find no evidence that Parthia seiged anything...in fact, to the contrary, that they didn't. In fact, they didn't even use captured Roman seige equipment. Just left it.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Here's how you lay seige if you're playing Parthia: beseige the city, and then wait till the garrison has to sally forth in a fight to the death. Then turn them into pincushions

I think it will be quite interesting playing the Parthian faction as dvk is creating it -- different tactics will definitely be required...

Yes you could also use spies to open the gates and rush the enemy with cataphracts. That would look awesome

wouldnt you be torched by the burning oil? far better to use good solid infantry, methinks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast