Thread: Should I expand towards the East?

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Should I expand towards the East?

Well I'm currently playing as the HRE, the year is 1224 just about. Just recently the Mongols have started wrecking havoc in the East and are currently engaged in making the life of the Russians and Poles really difficult. I've never actually encountered Mongolians before on the campaign, so should I keep on expanding eastward or wait for them to reach me. Which one is best? Currently Sofia is my most eastward city. I could tell just by looking at the game's comparative graph that they are very powerful. Do they pick up steam or loose steam as they go west? While I have the West in a headlock pretty much, I am spread very thin across the East, and money is kinda tight as it is. I'd like to hear people's advice. I already got Hungary and Poland giving me problems. What is the best way to prepare for the Mongolians?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."

Default Re: Should I expand towards the East?

Well it depends, if you think that you can deal with them later try to consolidate your own front however be warned. Eventually the Mongols will control all of the eastern part of the map, and eventually they will attack you with more armies than you can defend against so the best bet is to try to defeat them now, do not engage them out in the open as their horse archers will spell doom for european troops. But dealing with them now might mean having more problems with hungary and poland so take your pick.

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Why interfere when they are taking out potential rivals for you? Might you consider an alliance? That way you can open up a two front war with the Russians and Poles. When the time comes, fight them no farther east then Constantinople or Kiev, you want to keep the religion of the locals friendly towards you; making every inch the Mongols take a hassle to control.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Yes it would be a good idea to make an ally of them. But will they betray once the Orthodox is destroyed?

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Moved to the Battle Planning .
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Yes it would be a good idea to make an ally of them. But will they betray once the Orthodox is destroyed?
    Of course they would.

But he who does not strike first is first struck.

Send out spies and watch the Mongol war effort, certain opportunities may present themselves.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.